Better solution for right analog stick on joysticks

Butta

Regular
I wonder if there is something that can be done to improve the accuracy of right analog sticks. Given that the right stick is almost always used as mouse look would it make sense to replace this with a trackball or even a small but accurate trackpad. I imagine if either of these solutions were to be implemented it would require some redesign of the josticks themselves to make more room.

I personaly don't like the motion sensing type technologies but am confident there is a better solution than what is currently available.

Maybe a circle thumb holder type thing that can slide in a small flat square. It's hard to describe though.. It would be linear, unlike a analog stick.

Maybe a circle thumb holder type thing that can slide in a small flat square. It's hard to describe though.. It would be linear, unlike a analog stick.

What would be interesting about a thumb holder is that you could not only count on horizontal movement but potentially also vertical (if the small flat square would be able to move in this manner). I like the idea but wonder if a one size fits all thumb hole would work for everyone?

What would be interesting about a thumb holder is that you could not only count on horizontal movement but potentially also vertical (if the small flat square would be able to move in this manner). I like the idea but wonder if a one size fits all thumb hole would work for everyone?

Ya, the circle would create somewhere to put the force and keep the grip. The circle is on a piece of plastic that is only partially exposed in the square and you could slide it up/down and side to side, thus linear 2D movement. I'm sure I've used something like this, so there must be a reason it sucks ;)

Ya, the circle would create somewhere to put the force and keep the grip. The circle is on a piece of plastic that is only partially exposed in the square and you could slide it up/down and side to side, thus linear 2D movement. I'm sure I've used something like this, so there must be a reason it sucks ;)

One of the things I hate about right analog sticks is fighting against their snap to center behaviour...this makes it almost impossible to do slight adjustments

I wonder if there is something that can be done to improve the accuracy of right analog sticks. Given that the right stick is almost always used as mouse look would it make sense to replace this with a trackball or even a small but accurate trackpad. I imagine if either of these solutions were to be implemented it would require some redesign of the josticks themselves to make more room.

I personaly don't like the motion sensing type technologies but am confident there is a better solution than what is currently available.

Whaa?? The Wiimote with pointer?! You won't get closer to a mouse sitting in your armchair/sofa.

One of the things I hate about right analog sticks is fighting against their snap to center behaviour...this makes it almost impossible to do slight adjustments

Didn't the Sega Nights pad not recenter? I could have sworn there was an analog stick that didn't.

From what I remember the NiGHTS controller did recenter its position, however it was pretty loose and allowed for much better control. Then again it was also a POS at times and refused to work.

Easly.

HOW TO IMPROVE ANALOG STICK ACCURACY

Take a relatively thin nail, aim it at the middle of your analog stick, hammer it down a so its stuck (but still sticking out).

Now aim, with the thumb moving the nail, you get increased accuracy because the longer the "joystick" is the easier it is to steer it to the place where you want it. There are small companies online that provide a similar solution, althought a bit more elegant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your post immediately made me think of this.

Interesting idea to make an analog version of this. It probably would take up too much space on the controller, though.

Your post immediately made me think of this.

Interesting idea to make an analog version of this. It probably would take up too much space on the controller, though.

Cool, thanks for the link. I have never seen this, but I'm sure I have seen something similar in another controller. It must not work well if no one uses it now.

I would like to see sturdy, force feedback. In the future I hope to see a thumb stick with miniaturized weight resistance a la the Falcon mouse. I am curious about legal concerns however. Somone suing because they sprained a thumb pushing a digital boulder up a hill.

a joy-hole instead of a joy-stick. I like the idea!

Back