[360, PS3] Tekken 6

Well ya, but wasn't Tekken 5 running on souped up PS2 hardware? I'm not trying to be difficult here - just curious.

Is it confirmed that T5: DR is actually 1080p native? For some reason I thought it one of those games rendered at a lower rez, then upscaled to 1080p - again, merely my curiousity!

Jack
I think that the Arcade board version of T5: DR is the same as the PS2 or at least very very close. The original Tekken 5 for example looks identical to me on both the arcade and the PS2. It runs at 60fps on the PS2 at SD resolution

The PS3 version though is enhanced and if I am not mistaken it is native 1080p. Nothing strange there. The game doesnt take much advantage of the PS3's capabilities. It is PS2 level of detail so it isnt that hard to achieve the same visuals at 1080p native.

I dont know about Tekken 6 though. It certainly isnt up to VF5 standards in terms of detail but it is obviously much improved from Tekken 5. 60fps 720p native sounds easy. Perhaps 1080p can be achieved but I am not sure

Having it run at 60fps might also be an issue if the original game didn't run that fast (you'll have to forgive my absence of knowledge about this - I can't find a Tekken 6 cabinet to save my soul here in the states). If the original game was locked at 30 and the console version hits 60 (lets say) frame counting and timing will be completely screwed up (for better or worse, it'd be a largely different game).

Tekken 6 runs at 60fps in the arcade, as did all the other Tekken games before it.

Is it confirmed that T5: DR is actually 1080p native? For some reason I thought it one of those games rendered at a lower rez, then upscaled to 1080p - again, merely my curiousity!

I believe that it is confirmed as 1080p native. The game renders at either 480p or 1080p natively, and scales down to 720p I believe. You get input lag at 720p but not at 480p or 1080p.

I could be wrong, but I noticed a very slight lag in 720p not present in other display modes.

The PS3 version though is enhanced and if I am not mistaken it is native 1080p. Nothing strange there. The game doesnt take much advantage of the PS3's capabilities. It is PS2 level of detail so it isnt that hard to achieve the same visuals at 1080p native.

Ya, that's what I was driving at - I think it might be a bit presumptious to think that T6 will run at the same res/framerate as T5 by association. Hey - prove me wrong though- come on Namco - do it do it!

And I'm not sure if someone was intimating that T5: DR (PS3) was in the same league as SC4 - graphics wise - but I'd take issue with such statement - SC4 looks (technical term incoming) GOBS better than T5 ever did (regardless of console)

NOW - if someone wants to argue the merits of the Tekken fighting scheme vs Soul Calibur - I'll be here all day long. Tekken died for me after 3 when the game fully committed itself to being a "dial-a-combo"-centric title. And none of that "TAG" crap either - it was just prolonging the inevitible demise of (what I consider to be) one of the earliest best fighting engines ever! That is...until I played Soul Calibur (and I guess by proxy, to a lesser extent Soul Blade/Edge)

Jack

I don't know what to think of the latest screenshots of T6 either. The lack of AA and basically everything looking grainy is bad, but did you see the ground textures in some of the shots? Those look like they're coming out of Half-Life 1 or something.

I do hope they are using all this time for the PS3 version to make it actually look "stunning", because at the moment it looks nowhere near as good as SC4 (which is from the same company ...) or even VF5.

'Sides, since the Arcade machines are effectively PS3s (when they reboot, you actually get thrown into the XMB...and T6 launches from HDD), they simply have to be doing something differently with the "real", important Tekken 6. I mean come on. Arcades in Japan aren't that fruitful ;)

I've played Tekken 6 in Japan as well as locally and I find the graphics to be excellent. Great gameplay too. I wouldn't agonize over screenshots -- just get out and play the game, it's fun!

Sony need to start telling all the 3rd party developers to use NAO32 HDR instead of FP16 HDR, so they can atleast have 2XMSAA especially when this game was only built on the PS3 hardware first in mind.

I've played Tekken 6 in Japan as well as locally and I find the graphics to be excellent. Great gameplay too. I wouldn't agonize over screenshots -- just get out and play the game, it's fun!

Are you living in Japan?

How do the visuals fair next to VF5 or DOA4?

There hasnt been much news about the console versions in a long time. I know that the Tekken Team helped finish SCIV but will they manage to finish T6 in time for the holidays?

Didnt I read from one of the older threads(dont know which) that it was getting delayed for next year? Unless it was '07 and the delay was for this year to which I say :oops:

How do the visuals fair next to VF5 or DOA4?

I was in Japan some weeks ago and got to see rows of Tekken 6 machines across from VF5. Honestly, seeing it in person didn't lessen my complaints. The game has aliasing issues that aren't helped by really poor shadows, along with an unimpressive lighting model. The environments are more detailed than VF5, but even there have niggles like the weirdly gelatinous water. I still find the dated VF5 to look better, even with all its issues. I should note that I was with a friend who disagreed entirely and said that T6 looked better, so I'm not the final word here.

One thing that T6 did decisively have over VF5, though, was players. Namely, people were actually playing it. This was just before the location tests of VF5R, however, so maybe that's picked up.

The machine in Palo Alto has quite a line for it. Of course, all the arcades in Japan are full of T6 machines.

What a depressing sight this is. I was betting that T6 would look better than DoA4, and the longer it stayed in development, the more likely it was that I'd win that bet. I bought Soul Calibur 4 the other week and was thinking it looked fairly decent, all the while thinking Tekken 6 was gonna be the fighter that makes me say "wow" this generation. And then I see these new screens, which look WORSE than the screens I saw last year.

The characters have higher polycounts than T5, but overall detail is lower than SC4. This I could understand if the stages were considerably more detailed, which they aren't. The stages look like they could have been in a PS2 Tekken. Hell, looking back at Tekken Tag, which had deceptively detailed backgrounds and floor detail, Tekken 6 looks even worse by comparison.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekkentag/viewer.php?gid=tttps2&pid=8

Going off topic, but what ever happened to parallax mapping? Wouldn't these fighters be a good place for it?

You posted a link to Tekken Tag Tournament.

Anyhow, I am underwhelmed by T6 as well, but let's wait until we see footage of the final product on the PS3. I know that the arcades are running PS3 hardware but they must be doing things differently for the disc-based version.

he posted a link of tekken tag tournament to prove his point that T6 doesnt look much better than TTT.

I will agree with him

idsn6's VF5R link make me salivate! I hope we see a PS3 release of it.

Hey guys if there is just someone willing to help me out.

I noticed that the online portion in Tekken 5 DR is region locked. Meaning that I can only play against those that own the same retail version as mine.

I have a US PSN account so I bought the US version of the game. I am from Europe though and so I can not find enough players from EU to play against with. So I mostly find US players which makes the online play extremely laggy,

Is there anyone who wants to share the EU version of Tekken 5 with me so I can play against EU players? I would appreciate it greatly :)

Got to spend some time with Tekken 6 today (finally got a machine here locally in Atlanta), impressions:

1. Graphically - blah, not even in the same league as SC4 and not comporable to VF5 - complete disappointment here - character models suffer from the "Shiney plastic men" syndrome (or women...hey, I'm not a sexist) - some of the backdrops are nice....but even pieces of those good ones are riddled with horrid...HORRID textures that look like they'd fit on a PS2 arcade machine!

2. Gameplay - mixed bag - some good, some bad - plays exacly like Tekken 5 - there's no fundamental changes to the fighting system, it's like someone said "If it aint' broke don't fix it..." - but neglected to acknowledge that Tekken has been largely broken since Tekken 3 (or Tag if you will)

3. Buzz - Everyone must have played it and realized what complete crap it was - I sat on a stool in front of the cabinet for almost 2 hours and not one single person came up and even played me - most everyone was on older (Better) fighting cabinets around the room

1st impression - Tekken is dead, and it died while being made fun of!

Jack

Got to spend some time with Tekken 6 today (finally got a machine here locally in Atlanta), impressions:

1. Graphically - blah, not even in the same league as SC4 and not comporable to VF5 - complete disappointment here - character models suffer from the "Shiney plastic men" syndrome (or women...hey, I'm not a sexist) - some of the backdrops are nice....but even pieces of those good ones are riddled with horrid...HORRID textures that look like they'd fit on a PS2 arcade machine!

2. Gameplay - mixed bag - some good, some bad - plays exacly like Tekken 5 - there's no fundamental changes to the fighting system, it's like someone said "If it aint' broke don't fix it..." - but neglected to acknowledge that Tekken has been largely broken since Tekken 3 (or Tag if you will)

3. Buzz - Everyone must have played it and realized what complete crap it was - I sat on a stool in front of the cabinet for almost 2 hours and not one single person came up and even played me - most everyone was on older (Better) fighting cabinets around the room

1st impression - Tekken is dead, and it died while being made fun of!

Jack

:(

What a pitty. After spending some time with Tekken 5 this weekend, I started to notice how outdated it is compared to the shiny new Soul Calibur 4 demo. So I bought SC4 today, but am still very keen on the next Tekken. I hope it shapes up. Have been a fan to the series since Tekken 2 on the PSone, loved Tekken Tag and quite enjoyed Tekken 5 when it came out on the PS2.

PS: I thought the footage of Tekken 6 looked quite good, although I only saw it on small YouTube videos. I thought the snow stage looked quite good. Achieving parity with SC4 should be doable, hopefully.

I'm disappointed with the world of fightinggames altogether. After trying SC4 demo, I find that I'm still partial to the Tekken series. I still like even Tekken 5 better. It's sad. I wish I was game designer for a new fight-em-up with a semi-decent crew of programmers. I'm sure I could come up with something better than either.

Back