The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't that effectively fixed in steamroller?
The L1 increased in size as much as it increased in associativity. So aliasing is not gone.
Going to 3 ways of associativity is better, but still lower than average.

isn't that also fixed in steamroller?
It's better than Bulldozer and Piledriver, but writes are still penalized.

its also the same size so that kind of makes sense.
An Intel L3 is several times larger, and it services more cores plus a GPU.
It's also not the first thing accessed on an L1 miss.

An Intel L3 is several times larger,
each core has 2mb of L3, you hop on the ring bus ( adding extra latency) to reach the rest. You knew exactly what i meant.

and it services more cores plus a GPU.
It's also not the first thing accessed on an L1 miss.
i've always wondered how much performance that actually costs, im guessing a lot if it causes the core to completely stall to very little if there is lots of work to do.

edit:while only synthetic, writes look much better then bulldozer/PD
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-a107850k-kaveri-apu-review/

Last edited by a moderator:
each core has 2mb of L3, you hop on the ring bus ( adding extra latency) to reach the rest. You knew exactly what i meant.
The multi-hop latencies are not that far from the measured latencies of AMD's L2. For whatever reason, these seem to regularly go over over the documented 20 when benchmarked, and Sandy Bridge could get 26-31.

AMD's L2, as a last-level cache for APUs, can have its own version of a hop between L2s. That's apparently double.

According to this, there is chatter that the GPU mining fever has broken, although it seems to be lumping Scrypt-based coins under the umbrella of Bitcoin.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140521PD212.html

I am assuming AMD didn't massively ramp up GPU production three months ago to cater to a bottomless mining market just so it could enjoy fretting about all the GPUs it can't sell in a few months.

According to this, there is chatter that the GPU mining fever has broken, although it seems to be lumping Scrypt-based coins under the umbrella of Bitcoin.
The "true" value of Scrypt based altcoins is questionable and generally they really valued against Bitcoins, with miners trading altcoins to Bitcoin and then Bitcoin to fiat currency; indeed there are multiple pools that auto-switch between the most profitable altcoin (by value against Bitcoin and the individual network difficulty) and some will even auto trade the altcoin and pay you out in Bitcoin. While the value of Bitcoin is low so too is the value of altcoins.

That is true, and a factor in what I considered one of the likely causes for a demand drop in GPU mining back in February.

The article states that the introduction of Bitcoin mining ASICs in 2014 contributed to the decline in GPU demand, which isn't correct since Bitcoin ASICs came about earlier and GPUs have been non-competitive for Bitcoin for longer than the latest demand spike.

In the case of bitcoin, FPGAs displaced the GPUs before the ASICs arrived on the scene. This wasn't the case for scrypt currencies because FPGAs are pretty bad at memory bandwidth, something GPUs excel at. And scrypt relies on bandwidth, unlike bitcoin which relies on integer ALU performance.

Countdown to a launch/announcement on June 4th.
http://ifitcanreachspace.com/

So far ahead of its time that we
are launching it at the edge of space

Thumbnails taken from the thumbs.db file (use any freeware thumbs.db viewer) on the website's http://www.ifitcanreachspace.com/img/ directory.

thmb1.jpg
thmb2.jpg
thmb3.jpg

The background image clearly shows a baloon tethered to something at the edge of the earth's atmosphere

bg.jpg

I hope this isn't just the A10-7850K with an extra 100MHz branded as an FX SKU.

Most likely it is FX mobile part ... I would like to be wrong, but AMD leaked their upcoming Kaveri laptop SKU's and top of the range chip had FX branding.

Most likely just the mobile Kaveri parts, which were never formally introduced.

But over half a year between releasing the desktop and notebook parts?
Talk about "execution gloom"...

But over half a year between releasing the desktop and notebook parts?
Talk about "execution gloom"...
? They are the same parts. The primary difference is that one target market is dependant on 3rd parties building systems and the other can start generating income from the channel virtually immediately.

? They are the same parts. The primary difference is that one target market is dependant on 3rd parties building systems and the other can start generating income from the channel virtually immediately.

Sorry, didn't mean "parts", I meant "products".

I didn't know that mobile products were dependent on getting design wins in order to be formally announced.

Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung and Toshiba should reveal some notebooks equipped by Kaveri during Computex (according to AMD's press release)

AMD Launches 'Kaveri' APUs for Business Notebooks

AMD noted the range of notebook and desktops powered by the chip vendor's new offerings that are being announced Computext from such vendors as Lenovo, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Dell, Acer, Asus and Toshiba. The HP business PCs featuring the new AMD APUs that were rolled out at the show include the EliteBook 725, 745 and 755 G2 notebooks, EliteOne all-in-one and EliteDesk desktops.
HP website link.

The HP configurations use the "Pro" APU's: The A6 Pro 7050B (17W Dual-Core), the A8 Pro 7150B (19W Quad-Core) and the A10 Pro 7350B (19W Quad-Core).

I think they look pretty good for the asking price, if I was looking to buy a notebook the 14" screen @ 1600x900p, 8GB RAM + A8 Pro would be a solid choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back