The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He managed to stay 1 month? either something is wrong with the AMD team or something wrong with him, we need more information.

He managed to stay 1 month? either something is wrong with the AMD team or something wrong with him, we need more information.
Or he's simply telling the truth?
I've seen a number of people leave after a very short time (the record was 1 week) : they were promised a certain kind of job/environment/budget/..., but it turned out different than expected. So they went back. Nothing personal or disastrous, just not a good fit.

Leaving aside that fact to leaving and coming back is completely normal, there's also a different potential narrative: he saw what AMD had in store and ran away screaming. ;)

Is it normal? I'm not familiar enough with US corporate culture, I guess.
My experiences in Europe, where job mobility is probably still a lot lower, would be that employers tend to frown on disloyalty, or see it as an opportunity to bring in some fresh blood.

I don't know how it is outside the valley, but most companies are constantly looking for people. With the right experience/degree, you can find a job at a lot of places, multiple contract offers are often the norm. A very common pattern is for somebody who works at a big company for 4/5 years to try his luck at a startup, almost inevitably fail, and then come back to the same big company. I've seen it many times (and I've done it myself, it seemed a good idea at the time.)

Why would a company not rehire somebody when they already know what he is worth and he knows the processes, culture, and people inside out? As long as the earlier separation was on friendly terms and the earlier reasons for leaving were acceptable, it's hard to imagine a hire with a lower risk. The fact that he may have learned something else (skills, not secrets) at the other company is only a bonus. It's often also a good way to get a salary bump (but you lose unvested stock). ;)

Maybe, although usually things don't go this far in the first place if all you are after is more money. It's a very competitive environment and money is not necessarily the sole reason that drive these choices.

Maybe, although usually things don't go this far in the first place if all you are after is more money. It's a very competitive environment and money is not necessarily the sole reason that drive these choices.
Here's how it goes: you get recruited by a different company, who promises an exciting challenge. They wine and they dine and make you feel good. They have an interesting story, new products that are going to change the world. They also offer a nice increase in salary and/or stock. The attention make you giddy. You go for it. You Are Committed! And then you announce that you're leaving. And your current company starts doing the same thing. The exec VP invites you over lunch and asks if there's anything really wrong and what they can do to fix it. They don't even mention extra money, that's simply implied. You actually like your current job and colleagues and maybe the new company won't be so different after all. Doubt sets in. And then a letter arrive on your desk with some extra candy. You make the call and cancel the whole thing.

This doesn't only happen at the highly visible levels. I've seen it with very promising junior engineers (who get a senior title after such an episode.) I've also seen it a couple of times to same guys at the same company.

I love Apple and Google and Facebook and LinkedIn. Their largesse makes life better for everybody else too. ;)

Mental note: The best thing I can do for my career at the place I love working is to leave it (or attempt to)

My experiences in Europe, where job mobility is probably still a lot lower, would be that employers tend to frown on disloyalty, or see it as an opportunity to bring in some fresh blood.
It's not normal, but like silent_guy I've seen it happen before. Sometimes where the person never starts the new job before changing their mind and other times after a month or so on the job.

The first situation is usually cold feet and a counter offer taking away some of the enticement of leaving. The second situation might be the job wasn't what was expected.

It's not normal, but like silent_guy I've seen it happen before. Sometimes where the person never starts the new job before changing their mind and other times after a month or so on the job.

The first situation is usually cold feet and a counter offer taking away some of the enticement of leaving. The second situation might be the job wasn't what was expected.

Right. Yeah, counter offer sounds likely. This is a common thing in Europe and Asia as well in the industry where I work. Getting an offer from another company is a great way to negotiate a raise or some other improvement. But the process is almost always resolved before it hits the public eye.

To me there's no question that it makes a lot of sense for a company to re-employ an employee with a proven track record, but in Europe I've seen the loyalty concern being raised as if it were somehow more important.

Here's how it goes: you get recruited by a different company, who promises an exciting challenge. They wine and they dine and make you feel good. They have an interesting story, new products that are going to change the world. They also offer a nice increase in salary and/or stock. The attention make you giddy. You go for it. You Are Committed! And then you announce that you're leaving. And your current company starts doing the same thing. The exec VP invites you over lunch and asks if there's anything really wrong and what they can do to fix it. They don't even mention extra money, that's simply implied. You actually like your current job and colleagues and maybe the new company won't be so different after all. Doubt sets in. And then a letter arrive on your desk with some extra candy. You make the call and cancel the whole thing.

This doesn't only happen at the highly visible levels. I've seen it with very promising junior engineers (who get a senior title after such an episode.) I've also seen it a couple of times to same guys at the same company.

I love Apple and Google and Facebook and LinkedIn. Their largesse makes life better for everybody else too. ;)
I'm was a junior engineer and this is EXACTLY how things transpired for me. I wasnt fake quitting but the decision so the decision to stay wasnt easy either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back