The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just continuing the doom and gloom AMD discussion from the Kepler thread here.

AMD did well by pricing Cayman at $369USD and Cypress at $379USD. Cypress was on supply constrained new process while Cayman was on a more matured process at the time of its launch but also was slightly larger. The Tahiti based SKU requires more VRAM and I guess since they've let their partners go crazy with their custom designs, I dont think the PCB is going to big factor in the increasing the BOM. AMD also has admitted to have excellent yields on Tahiti, cant find a similar official comment for either Cypress or Cayman.

With that said, a price drop of $150-200USD wouldnt be as bad as dropping a $250 price cut on the 600mm2 SKU (GTX280). But keep in mind that AMD doesnt have the same cushion as Nvidia either.

Fortunately for AMD they don't have to drop the price on anything until Nvidia actually brings a product to market. So it would seem they have a few months to milk the market.

Fortunately for AMD they don't have to drop the price on anything until Nvidia actually brings a product to market. So it would seem they have a few months to milk the market.
Nvidia tried to milk the market for a few weeks with the GT200 at $650, nothing wrong with AMD trying the same for a few months at $549.

Nvidia tried to milk the market for a few weeks with the GT200 at $650, nothing wrong with AMD trying the same for a few months at $549.

thats hardly an accurate account of what happened, NV where doing what they always did, AMD where the ones who decided to be disruptive.

thats hardly an accurate account of what happened, NV where doing what they always did, AMD where the ones who decided to be disruptive.

I'm not sure that I understand your stance.

I loosely interpret your response to mean "NV is allowed to charge $600 for video card because they started it, but AMD isn't allowed to charge $600 for a video cards because they haven't in the past." Did I understand you correctly?

If you really did say that, did you really mean it? Perhaps you did, but I wouldn't ascribe your conclusion to something based on logic.

I'm not sure that I understand your stance.

I loosely interpret your response to mean "NV is allowed to charge $600 for video card because they started it, but AMD isn't allowed to charge $600 for a video cards because they haven't in the past." Did I understand you correctly?

If you really did say that, did you really mean it? Perhaps you did, but I wouldn't ascribe your conclusion to something based on logic.

no i mean, anyone can do what they want, but to make it sound like NV was doing something different to what they always do, ie "trying to milk" isn't an accurate portrayal. it was AMD who rained on NV's parade not NV setting prices well above what they normally do (ie milking) .

if that generation was to play out like they always did AMD would have sold RV770 for around $600 to, likely pushed TDP and clocks a little higher, released a PE edition etc. in relation to HD7970 as the saying goes, the more things change the more they stay the same :LOL:

Fixed it for ya! (in bold)

im not quite sure what your saying..... but i think i said the same thing in my next post

ie.

if that generation was to play out like they always did AMD would have sold RV770 for around $600 to, likely pushed TDP and clocks a little higher, released a PE edition etc. in relation to HD7970 as the saying goes, the more things change the more they stay the same

For fucks sake people and shills, enough with the petty bickering back and forth over the same shit in every single thread.

According to anand there are multiple verisons of the 7970 all using diffrent vcore

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa/2

1.175v , 1.112v , 1.05v and Alexey Nicolaychuk (unwinder) found 1.025v chips.

So it seems like amd is in good shape as i'm sure the voltages are going down as the yields are going up.

It's been known for quite a while already ;)
The higher the voltage is, the less leaky the chip is

What's also interesting is that the lower stock voltage chips seem to consume more power than the higher voltage chips. Although I guess that makes sense since they are leakier. Still, it's a bit counterintuitive at first glance.

Regards,
SB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5538/amds-eric-demers-is-leaving-the-company

Eric Demers, AMD Corporate Vice President and CTO, Graphics Business Unit, has decided leave AMD to pursue other opportunities.

AMD Chief Technology Officer Mark Papermaster will assume interim responsibility for the Graphics Business Unit CTO role until a replacement is found.

AMD remains fully committed to our critical graphics IP development and discrete GPU products. We have a tremendous depth of talent in our organization, a game plan that is resonating with our customers and our team, and we are continuing to bring graphics-performance-leading products to market. We will attract the right technology leader for this role.

We thank Eric for his contributions to the business and wish him well in his future endeavors.

:cry:

So the Internet was blowing a fuse over Mr. Killebrew leaving AMD, but it seems to be quite chilled out about Eric not being there anymore? Boy, the Internet sure knows its stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back