The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Why is it all of a sudden fail/tragic/catastrophic? I mean, wasn't BD first supposed to appear in 2009? And now it's gone from Q2 11 to Q3 11? What's with the sky is falling act? If June 11 was ok, then so is Sept. 11. SB appeared in January, SB-EX hasn't yet, IB is due Q2 12... seems like there is lots of room.

Karlotta may be exaggerating, but it's pretty bad. AMD isn't doing very well at all in servers, and Sandy Bridge just punishes K10 in all conceivable ways. Thank God Llano hasn't been delayed… which also illustrates that sticking with K10+ cores for the first generation of Fusion was the right decision.

On a side note, I really liked the (unintended) irony embedded in the slide which (featured on Anand's news, for example) showed Ivy bridge as a Tick+ (instead of just Tick). The only thing that we can admit they added to the Tick is development time.

It's not often Intel is delaying its products as far as i remember

I also think it's not the end of the world with this BD delay. Of course, had BD launched close to Llano, it would have presented AMD in a much more bright light. I highly suspect that Orochi's launch is much more important than Zambezi's for AMD. Especially since BD is supposed to have (yet again) a favorable architecture for server workloads and AMD and they are barely hanging in that (high margin) market.

The server chips are not delayed, still Q3.

Yeah, Charlie even says it's been pulled in, which would make up for the consumer delay. But what I meant is that AMD's current situation is difficult enough as it is, and this delay just makes it tougher. If their server division were doing well, they could afford a few setbacks in the consumer space.

Maybe the problem is GF 32nm capacity. Llano should launch in june , so they decided to alocate more wafers to Llano and delay the bulldozer launch. (some unexpected OEM orders)

With bandwidth caps hitting Canada and now the united states
and bandwidth caps already in placed in most places elsewhere in the world ;)
bandwidth caps are not entirely bad for one thing for the most part speed stop´s being part isp pricing plans look for example at hringdu Iceland newest isp
http://hringdu.is/?page=ljos
all get the same speed 100 Mb/s but pricing plans are based on foreign internet traffic
all internet traffic inside iceland don’t count up to bandwidth caps

Thank god there's no bandwidth limits whatsoever in Finland, you get what you pay for speedwise, and you can cap the theoretical limit of your connection, no extra payments or anything involved.

Thank god there's no bandwidth limits whatsoever in Finland, you get what you pay for speedwise, and you can cap the theoretical limit of your connection, no extra payments or anything involved.
Same, as for avid torrent user bandwidth caps would be seriously annoying.

Same, as for avid torrent user bandwidth caps would be seriously annoying.

Even without torrents, transfer caps would be terrible with the IPTV solutions we have today (I'm using one myself actually, my previous ISP brought all channels I got through IPTV, my current one takes the "basic channels" from normal cable/antenna but all the "extra channels" via IPTV

IPTV wouldn't be seriously viable without ISP QoS control anyway (which I assume they would implement) so torrents or bandwidth cap wouldn't be much of a factor. As long as that bandwidth cap is decently above the required bandwith to supply your HD TV feed.

Well the next two quarters are typically the strongest right? Back to school and the start of the holiday shopping season.

I'd even venture to say that if revenue only increased 10% they'd be disappointed, they should be aiming for at least a 20% increase in revenue

It's really good to see them executing well. Really really good :D

To be honest the execution was not well. The GPU segment was in red numbers and the revenue itsself for AMD as a whole is still in the same area as in 2007. In other words - the company did not really grow while others and the market as a whole did.

Considering the performance gap between their current CPU architecture and Intel's, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

Intel made 3.2 billion last quarter, AMD made 61 million. They're on completely different scales financially but their products are much more closely matched than that.

Well, you know how it is, small performance gaps usually translate into relatively larger price differences, especially for high-end SKUs. AMD's fastest CPU, the Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, currently sells for just $189.99 on Newegg.

Meanwhile, Intel's Core i7-990X sells for $999.99, so it's not terribly surprising that Intel's revenue should be about 8 times AMD's, not to mention profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back