The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to asume its because of costs. Also you'd be able to crossfire the 6620 with whatever dedicated amd gpu you put in there.
Besides the problems with crossfire, you won't be able to put another GPU in there in a laptop, 2 GPU's will use a lot of heat and power compared to a single, more powerful GPU, since the IGP isn't used in the Intel case. Not to mention crossfire doesn't work well in all games.

I've changed my expectations, I don't think this Llano will even outperform the C2D clock per clock to begin with. Better CPU performance and efficiency costs more money, so that's to be expected anyway.

Besides the problems with crossfire, you won't be able to put another GPU in there in a laptop, 2 GPU's will use a lot of heat and power compared to a single, more powerful GPU, since the IGP isn't used in the Intel case. Not to mention crossfire doesn't work well in all games.

I've changed my expectations, I don't think this Llano will even outperform the C2D clock per clock to begin with. Better CPU performance and efficiency costs more money, so that's to be expected anyway.

Please stop this.

Llano has the hd 6620 built into the cpu its a single chip consisting of 4 cpu cores and 1 gpu. If your able to take sandy bridge and just run an nvidia graphics chip then you'd be able to run a dedicated amd gpu along with with the dedicated gpu. Yes it will use more power but then again a dedicated gpu will eat into your power consumption to begin with.

Also as we see the sandy bridge chip is already using more power even with the crappy gpu

technical person who used to work at AMD:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100768&postcount=71

Correct, but my posts have always been my own opinions. Well informed opinions

Llano is to Ridgeback as Penryn is to Conroe. Except, I would argue, a little more than Penryn, but not enough to Nehalem.

Please stop this.

Llano has the hd 6620 built into the cpu its a single chip consisting of 4 cpu cores and 1 gpu. If your able to take sandy bridge and just run an nvidia graphics chip then you'd be able to run a dedicated amd gpu along with with the dedicated gpu. Yes it will use more power but then again a dedicated gpu will eat into your power consumption to begin with.

Also as we see the sandy bridge chip is already using more power even with the crappy gpu

Let's wait until some independent tests. SB CPU is extremely efficient, so when AMD tries to force workloads to run on the SB gpu that's really not designed for it, power consumption could do funny things.. There will be no such case with a SB CPU and a discrete GPU. Crossfire in laptops is reserved for 10 lb beasts, and not a mass market thing, so you're wrong there as well.

Crossfire in laptops are generally reserved for the higher end space, but discrete graphics in laptops are common.

Let's wait until some independent tests. SB CPU is extremely efficient, so when AMD tries to force workloads to run on the SB gpu that's really not designed for it, power consumption could do funny things.. There will be no such case with a SB CPU and a discrete GPU. Crossfire in laptops is reserved for 10 lb beasts, and not a mass market thing, so you're wrong there as well.

SB CPU power might be better than Llano cores can provide but who will notice it on everyday use? How many of us are doing advanced rendering/modeling or matrix calculations on our laptops?
CPU power alone today is not enough to convince me to a particular laptop, I do want to use it on the go and have similar desktop experience to my home computer, but I'm not going to run my F1 2010 season MPEG4 (over 100GB) file conversions on it. This type of tasks is reserved for my 6 core home PC.
I know there are people who need best available CPU performance in a laptop, but they are very few compared to majority of normal users.
And normal user will appreciate more a chip which is more versatile in majority of tasks.
SB is great for laptops, but don't write off Llano because it might be slower in Cinema4D or Fluent.

Not only that lightman but amd will have mobile bulldozer chips also for the extreme high end desktop replacements.

Llano will most likely compete in sub $1000 price range where very few laptops have dedicated grpahics chips or are charging $200 or so for them to be included.

Even then Llano with a dedicated gpu would improve performance again.

SB CPU power might be better than Llano cores can provide but who will notice it on everyday use? How many of us are doing advanced rendering/modeling or matrix calculations on our laptops?
I use virtual machines, go to unoptimized websites with unoptimized flash that's not gpu accelerated, and use office. It's incredibly useful to have a powerful CPU for me due to this workload.

On the other hand I don't bother gaming on a laptop and a GPU in a laptop is just extra cost, heat, and battery drain that I don't need.

figured this wouldn't be worth a new thread, and there ain't any fitting thread I could see either, so I'll just post it here

Looks like AMD is going more and more towards ATI's color themes (which definately isn't a bad move, IMO, red>blue>green color wise)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-s-Box-Art-for-Bulldozer-FX-CPUs-Revealed-189264.shtml

AMD-s-Box-Art-for-Bulldozer-FX-CPUs-Revealed-2.jpg

The red Unlocked FX Processor -logo is the same on all the FX-series (Bulldozer) CPUs

figured this wouldn't be worth a new thread, and there ain't any fitting thread I could see either, so I'll just post it here

Looks like AMD is going more and more towards ATI's color themes (which definately isn't a bad move, IMO, red>blue>green color wise)

Yeah, but honestly it looks like broken watercooling or something... a portent of things to come? :LOL:

It was ONE of the suggested designs. I don't know how anyone can take a survey question for facts.

Sorry, didn't dig up further facts and the news at least on quick glance when posting didn't say anything about survey.

well what sucked is until now you had to pay $800 or more just to get a laptop with even mid range graphics. that was if you were pretty lucky too, caught a sale or something. its not like when your buying a desktop, you can skimp on the cpu, because its really secondary to gaming performance, and what else does the average consumer require a fast computer for.

so yea, looks great imo. beats the crap out of sandybridge for most practical uses.

Llano will bring Mobility 4650/5650/6550 performance down to $500-600. Is that exciting? I guess. It's not going to make any difference to the non-gamers buying notebooks, which is most people I think.

Llano will bring Mobility 4650/5650/6550 performance down to $500-600. Is that exciting? I guess. It's not going to make any difference to the non-gamers buying notebooks, which is most people I think.

its kind of funny right, because its more about OEM's what, right. So if they are meeting OEM needs then thats a good thing, what AMD now need is a big push in applications that can use opencl. if that compute power can be used, then that benifits everyone not just gamers.

I'm not sure how a GPU can help with Facebook, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, MS Office, et al. ;) Video acceleration is somewhat important but any IGP can do that these days.

No doubt AMD was hoping to see GPGPU help push this "Fusion" initiative though.

It's a shame Llano came in this late, my girlfriend desperately needed a new laptop and Llano machine would have been a perfect fit for her, but it's too late, her laptop has already been ordered and is arriving today (Phenom II X3 N830 / 4GB / HD6650)

Anand is saying B0 and B1 were no good so Bulldozer is pushed to late July with a B2 stepping.

Really amd , get your act together

Actually we should have seen this coming, right?

Because BD is a new architecture on a new process. Just that I couldn't be bothered (and analysts, as well) apparently to follow the number of respins the chip has gone through.

Well wouldn't B2 reflect 1 full respin + 3 + [as many as the A-stepping required] metal layer spins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back