The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about if it is as fast as the previous generation of intel chips? Obviously if it is as fast as the best chip for desktops it will be great, but is there any reason to believe it will be?

What about if it is as fast as the previous generation of intel chips? Obviously if it is as fast as the best chip for desktops it will be great, but is there any reason to believe it will be?

Because unlike intel, AMD can provide an ecosystem?

(not for Scorpius, but Lynx looks like an even finer example of Fusion than Brazos)

i would think it matters when bulldozer comes out. The sooner the better for amd as the sandy bridge problems have created a nice slow pitch for amd to hit it out of the park. If they don't launch soon they will blow it though. I'd say june is the latest they can launch and still take advantage of the sandy bridge fiasco anything after just wont do it

OK serious question:

Is AMD stock undervalued?

I think if the reviews say that Bulldozer is as good or nearly as good as SB then very undervalued. Nvidia was also undervalued until the ARM announcement and all of the positive Tegra 2 news.

If BD is in the same range as SB I would raise my target price from $10 to around $14-16, if it is better than SB and Llano comes out on time they could go all the way up to $19.

If a bidder were to come forward to buy AMD they would need to bid in the region of $13-15bn depending on the suitor and how much cash was in the offer. That would equate to a common stock price of around $20 which is more than double what they are worth now.

Yup Silent , I really don't know in which situation i'd find myself in where i'd need more than 6 hours with a tablet and no place to charge. Mabye on a really really long flight but then again if a flight gets over 6 hours i will most likely be sleeping for some of it and now planes have outlets

LOL. You don't fly much, do you? I make a 14 hr run from the US to various spots in Asia (PEK, NRT, Incheon, PVG, etc.) about 10x / year. That's 20 flights at around 14 hours per year. It's my money as I own the company so I fly coach (I refused to shell out $8k for a ticket).

While the forward half of most 777s has power (but not the aft section) as do some larger airbuses, the vast majority of coach seats do not.

Now take that "4-6" hour slate and have it play h.264 video.

Hint: bring some books

My hp 311 can do h264 video just fine really and i still get 6 hours or so of battery time.

Anyway if I was on a 12 hour flight I doubt that any one thing would keep my attention for 12 hours strait. Last time I did 12 hours I had my nook , ds and netbook and i would switch off between them quite alot and i slept for 4 hours till my snoring got to much and the person next to me woke me up.

I generally sleep 2-4 hours out of 14...keep in mind 14 hours is the longest of usually three legs on the trip (each way). For example to get to Beijing I have a 2 hour flight followed by a 14 hour flight followed by a 4.5 hour flight. I usually take a couple books, an iPod touch and my laptop (MacBook Pro). The MacBook Pro has good battery life for movies (set up ram disk, copy 3 movies to it, spin down hard drive), but not enough to game without power (booting into XP uses the C2D and 9600GT = hungry power.

For me the ideal tablet has about 10 hours of life, some games, a good screen for video or reading, video Skype and a standalone IMAP client that supports SSL. With such a tablet I wouldn't need my laptop for such trips which makes carry-on-only-for-2-weeks that much easier.

Actually, the UK switched away from milliard to billion in 1974. So it's now incorrect to call it the British system, since Britain no longer uses it. And there's no international standard about what word to use for 10^9. Here's some history and background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

You're right. My mistake and apologies. Continuing off-topic I dug a little deeper:
'SI prefixes, for example, giga for 109 and tera for 1012. The International System of Units (SI) is independent of whichever scale is being used. Use with non-SI units (e.g. "giga-dollars", "giga-miles") is uncommon.' (From the same source).

I vote we go with this so we can use Giga$. The we can say AMD bought ATI for 5.5 Jiggadollars! :LOL:

/end off-topic.

Buy-outs generally price the company to 1.5-2 times stockprice. Even if AMD is undervalued there isn't likely to be any buyers around. Unless you're long term investing the whole point is moot.

Hint: bring some books

Or just one eReader (which I suppose constitutes many books). :) I've been doing that for quite a few years now as I make 14-20 hour flights (I include the time from when I leave the house or hotel to the time I arrive at my final destination, hotel or home). I do that since when I arrive in Japan for instance, I still have a 2+ hour commute to the final destination. Taiwan it's a lot faster as my uncle there lives just a few blocks from the main terminal of the airport. I'm just glad eReader's no longer cost 400+ USD. Prior to that, having to take enough books to cover a 3 month stay in a foreign country used to take up a fair chunk of my weight allowance (and that was back when you could take 75 lbs a bag instead of the 50 lbs that most airlines have now).

The other option is to obviously book flights on 747's which usually (but not always) have power outlets even in coach.

Regards,
SB

even a 20 hour flight wouldn't get me down

DSI with extra battery good for 15-16 hours
Nook with extra battery good for 2-3 days of reading ?
hp311 good for 6 hours of goofing off with older games.
All else fails and i have my samsung epic to waste time with.

I'd just be smart enough not otbuy an apple product that doesn't allow me to change the battery on the tablet. I hate companys that do that

I'd just be smart enough not otbuy an apple product that doesn't allow me to change the battery on the tablet. I hate companys that do that

I'm not sure anyone is going to make a tablet with an easy to change battery. Although Asus might have done that with its Core i5 based tablet. Right now thin and stylish is in vogue which makes removeable batteries a bit of a design problem.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure anyone is going to make a tablet with an easy to change battery. Although Asus might have done that with its Core i5 based tablet. Right now thin and stylish is in vogue which makes removeable batteries a bit of a design problem.

Regards,
SB

Well you'd need a few spare batteries with an i5 12" tablet, they are like 2 hours.

Regards,
SB

not very hard to make a snap off back cover. Or better yet just design them like laptop batterys. Almost all the win 7 tablets i've seen have had removable batteries .

Anyway rumor is that MS is showing off windows 8 for tablets in June

Not hard to beat Intel IGP. You have to wonder why they won't do CPU-only benchmarks, since you can always get a SB with an AMD or NV GPU. I doubt they can even match Arrandale performance on the CPU side.

Not hard to beat Intel IGP. You have to wonder why they won't do CPU-only benchmarks, since you can always get a SB with an AMD or NV GPU. I doubt they can even match Arrandale performance on the CPU side.

I'm going to asume its because of costs. Also you'd be able to crossfire the 6620 with whatever dedicated amd gpu you put in there. I think in the end amd will end up on top as long as you don't use an nvidia gpu with the llano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back