The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why use that rumorsite when you can get to the source?

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/45127-amd-claims-pole-position-in-mobile-graphics

Asif Rehman, product manager of AMD's mobile graphics business, said: "We started this year as being the number two in the mobile graphics market but in the last nine months we gained 16 percent market share and now we're sitting at 57 percent."

He said AMD gaining 16 percent market share means Nvidia has lost all that share to it. He said AMD has the majority of design wins for both Intel and for AMD microprocessors in the notebook market.

Rehman also said that AMD is first to the market with Direct X11. He also claimed that AMD's next generation Radeon will mean it's working with 90 percent of the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). "We have won the mindshare of business both for Intel and AMD platforms," he said.

Next generation Radeon products will be introduced in quarter one of 2010 with other products being released throughout the year.

Market share figures, Rehman said, are based on Mercury Research numbers.

That discrete market share is quite significant isn't it? What it lacks in total numbers it makes up in margins? So in the numbers how much does a 1% jump in market share mean?

Dave saves.... all us laptop buyers?

I'm surprised NV has any discrete marketshare left in the mobile space after the disaster that was Bumpgate.

They are still doing well at the high end with the G92M's, AMD's cashcow has been the 43X0 and 45X0, I've seen those a lot just about everywhere.

Don't forget to take into account the Laptop designs aren't respec'd on a whim. Even with bumpgate, any design wins for affected chips would still continue until the units were refreshed with a new design...probably months later.

Thus you didn't see the majority of the fallout from it until the back to school season, and going forward. And even for back to school I wouldn't be surprised if there were lingering designs containing affected chips. Laptop design cycles are rather long.

Regards,
SB

Never saw an appreciable increase in retail/e-tail availability of the 58xx leading up to Christmas here in the UK. As I posted previously, I've always been able to find some but AMD/ATi cannot be happy with the current situation.
Any new info'?

Sorry, couldn't find the "TSMC Execution & Gloom Thread". Too much Christmas "Spirit" to blame I guess. :)

The ratio of 4xxx and 5xxx cards are now 80:50 so the latter is quickly catching up to the former. By early next year I expect there to be more 5xxx cards once the 56xx and lower cards launch.

Richtek files patent infringement complaint in US against AMD and graphics card makers
Richtek has sued AMD, Sapphire, XFX, Diamond and uPI because of an alleged infringement of their patents 7,315,190, 6,414,470 and 7,132,717, which are about PWM IC controllers, multi-phase DC-DC converters and MOSFET placement.

Richtek has demanded an import ban on the graphics cards and monetary compensation from the International Trade Commission.
The patents in question:
Patent 7,315,190
The present invention discloses a PWM integrated circuit which may receive a programming signal without any extra pin. The PWM integrated circuit comprises: a comparator having two outputs; two pins respectively electrically connected with the two outputs; and a programming unit electrically connected with at least one of the two pins for setting a parameter inside the PWM integrated circuit. The two pins of the PWM integrated circuit may be used to respectively control a control switch and a synchronous switch, constituting a PWM circuit for generating PWM signals.

Patent 6,414,470
An apparatus and method for current balance in a multi-phase DC-to-DC converter with a converter output voltage and a plurality of channel currents employs for each channel a multi-input pulse width modulator or an ordinary pulse width modulator in conjunction with a multi-input comparator to produce a respective PWM signal to regulate the corresponding channel current. In addition to the comparison of the converter output voltage with a reference signal to produce an error signal, the apparatus and method compares the error signal with a ramp signal and the corresponding channel current with each of the other channel currents with the multi-input pulse width modulator. Alternatively, a ramp signal is compared by the ordinary pulse width modulator with a signal derived from the multi-input comparator which subtracts the corresponding channel current from each other channel current and sums the error signal.

Patent 7,132,717
A power metal oxide semiconductor transistor layout is disclosed. The power metal oxide semiconductor transistor layout uses network of conductive lead line as a connection or a network connection to connect source and drain regions thereby achieves advantages of a high uniformity of current, low Rds_on, much less power loss, an actual line density two times larger than that of conventional layouts and a strengthened resistance to electron migration.

I think AMD intimated a gradual winding down of its influence in GF with each additional capital call, though this appears to be an outright ending of it.

I don't know if AMD is really in a position of strength to resist, and the cash would be handy.

That endgame does lead to the situation where most have been critical about AMD going fabless or fab-light, in that it would have much reduced control over process development, and GF over time (or very immediately in this case) would care to cater to AMD's particular CPU needs less and less.

If it means that they can eliminate most of their long term debt and invest more heavily into their product lines then I am completely for it. Currently they have a few opportunities that they simply cannot pursue like GPGPU because of an inability to invest outside of their strictly core business areas.

I think it's just the natural consequence of the new cross license deal with intel. The current share and voting power was just the needed to define GloFo as a subsidiary according to the old x86 agreement.
And it was pretty hard to see how they could ever keep that with the inclusion of Chartered. They should still be able to make a decent long term deal regarding their process needs etc. at the spin off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back