The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that Boing 787 is quite costly too but somehow I still don't think that $300/$400 for a videocard is "cheap".
compared to a $360 GTX285? it's really cheap. Of which, by the way there is only one available on Newegg.

So? It was top of the line and fastest single-GPU card on the market. 5870 won't be neither quite soon so I really don't see how anyone would pay $500 for it.
If you're still waiting for worldwide hard-launch of Fermi next month, forget it.

How long do they have to keep the foundry on their books. It looks like they could be sitting pretty once they shed all the manufacturing baggage. Of course, they'll still have the debt problem but cash flow should improve substantially.

I don't know if this really makes total sense. Trini can't they shuffle profit around to make it look however they want? For example their foundries lost money b/c the foundries were not getting paid enough per chip produced to make money. So if they sell them to a 3rd party that 3rd party will charge them more for manufacturing the chips right?

So? It was top of the line and fastest single-GPU card on the market.
Which single-GPU card is faster than HD5870? None... Same situation here.

GTX280 was just overpriced... in fact it was only 15-20% faster than HD4870 and it doesn't supported DX10.1, which was almost 5 months old at that time.

HD5870 is the fastest single-GPU product and supports all up to date standards. Still it's much cheaper than GTX280 at launch or current competing products, which are morally outdated. As a product in this position, it's cheap.

HD5870 is the fastest single-GPU product and supports all up to date standards. Still it's much cheaper than GTX280 at launch or current competing products, which are morally outdated.
That's because it's not top of the line! And 5850 has a performance similar to GTX285. So I don't see any reason for it to cost more than it does. And its price certainly isn't "cheap", your comparision to a 1,5/3-year old GPUs makes no sense at all.

HD5870 is the fastest single-GPU product and supports all up to date standards. Still it's much cheaper than GTX280 at launch or current competing products, which are morally outdated. As a product in this position, it's cheap.

What makes a GPU morally outdated? Is it b/c they render p0rn that they are morally outdated?

That's because it's not top of the line! And 5850 has a performance similar to GTX285. So I don't see any reason for it to cost more than it does. And its price certainly isn't "cheap", your comparision to a 1,5/3-year old GPUs makes no sense at all.
?
The cheapest GTX285 around ($325) is overpriced compared to the most expensive HD5850 ($290.) The5870 carries a $60 premium over the GTX285 while being a lot faster since it's not even supposed to compete with that part. We are getting that kind of performance CHEAP, because nvidia does not lower it's prices.
And comparing Russia's overpriced situation with the rest of the world really has no use. I'm pretty sure we pay a lot more for Gas or Caviar.

Interesting situation with GTX 285 pricing, I got mine back in February for $340 and it came with Farcry 2 and Call of Duty World at War. Still think it was a good purchase too. Even the 5870 @ $379 isn't hugely faster @ 1080p, plus folding is still faster on NV ;)

The cheapest GTX285 around ($325) is overpriced compared to the most expensive HD5850 ($290.)
I wouldn't call that overpriced until there is zero DX11 and many GPU PhysX games on the market. Of course that will change soon but GTX285 will be on it's way out even sooner.

We are getting that kind of performance CHEAP, because nvidia does not lower it's prices.
You're getting 1.5 year old kind of performance for $35 less than a card of similar performance that is 1 year old. I can't call that "cheap" sorry. If 5850 would cost $100-150 then it would be "cheap".

And comparing Russia's overpriced situation with the rest of the world really has no use. I'm pretty sure we pay a lot more for Gas or Caviar.
It was just an example. (And selling caviar is forbidden here for a few years. Oh, and gas cost almost the same as in the USA 8))

Interesting situation with GTX 285 pricing, I got mine back in February for $340 and it came with Farcry 2 and Call of Duty World at War. Still think it was a good purchase too. Even the 5870 @ $379 isn't hugely faster @ 1080p, plus folding is still faster on NV ;)

I still wanted the prices to drop like a stone so I could get a 285 for $150 or so. I guess that was extremely wishful thinking :)

Interesting situation with GTX 285 pricing, I got mine back in February for $340 and it came with Farcry 2 and Call of Duty World at War. Still think it was a good purchase too. Even the 5870 @ $379 isn't hugely faster @ 1080p, plus folding is still faster on NV

I think we both pulled that trigger at roughly the same time, because I got the exact same deal from Newegg. Considering I could probably sell it for $200 or so today, not a bad price at the time.

Arguing that a 5870 isn't top of the line right now. . .wow, no comment.

Arguing that a 5870 isn't top of the line right now. . .wow, no comment.

Who said that? I was just saying @ 1080P a 5870 isn't always faster than a 285. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather game on a 5870 just for raw performance and to play with SSAA for older games, but for folding and extras like physx I'll take the 285.

You're getting 1.5 year old kind of performance for $35 less than a card of similar performance that is 1 year old. I can't call that "cheap" sorry. If 5850 would cost $100-150 then it would be "cheap".
Applying the same argument to even the G80 and you'll realise how bad of a deal it was .. however people like Geo who bought that at launch will have a different opinion than yours, and I think most will in fact not agree to your definition of a deal.

(5870s are selling for $500-550 here in Russia at the moment btw.)
I've just checked for you.. and that actually seems a normal price.

When I calculate, $500 is about 15.000 Rubles.
15.000 Russian Rubles is about €350
HD5870 without dirt is €300~€340 in Euroland, with DiRT2 (XFX for example) costs €350.
The price of the card has remained almost the same since introduction.
There's no price inflation going on here except the normal $/€ rip-off.. it just sucks to be in the Euro zone eh?
So $500 is a normal/reasonable price.

There's no price inflation going on here except the normal $/€ rip-off.. it just sucks to be in the Euro zone eh?

Well, Euro prices include VAT right? So would be better to compare to US price +sales tax (although you can get them online without tax) which varies from about 5-10% depending on state. Still costs more but not much you can do about government mandated fees.

Regards,
SB

FWIW, I've bought an OC-Version of GTX280 when it was released for about 550 Euros I(*doh*) and recently a stock HD 5870 for about 350 - yes call me crazy, but then, i don't even own a car. :)

Well, Euro prices include VAT right? So would be better to compare to US price +sales tax (although you can get them online without tax) which varies from about 5-10% depending on state. Still costs more but not much you can do about government mandated fees.

Regards,
SB

Yes, euro prices alway have VAT in them which flows something around 1x-2x% depending on country

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this. But has anyone heard anything about the X86 Patent dispute between AMD and Intel? I haven't been able to find anything more recent than when the argument was first launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back