The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDC estimates AMD's CPU market share at 22.3%

Remember those preliminary Mercury Research numbers that pinned AMD's share of the PC microprocessor market at 20.9%? Competing research firm IDC has published some similar market estimates, and it says AMD's piece of the pie was actually 22.3% last quarter.

That's a considerable 4.6-point share increase compared to the fourth quarter of last year, when AMD only commanded 17.7% of PC microprocessor shipments. Over the same stretch of time, IDC says Intel saw its own slice shrink from 81.9% to 77.3%.

More interesting still, IDC has published numbers for the desktop and mobile portions of the market. AMD reportedly grabbed 29.8% of desktop processor shipments in Q1—that's 3.8 more points than in Q4 2008. The underdog didn't do quite as well in mobile systems (its products only made up for 15% of laptop CPU shipments), but it still clawed back 4.7 points sequentially. Those gains probably reflect the success of AMD's Puma mobile platform as well as the new Phenom IIs on the desktop.

For the PC CPU market as a whole, IDC notes that shipments fell 13% and revenue dropped 25.1% compared to Q1 2008. Researcher Shane Rau comments, "Some inventory replenishment by [PC vendors] at the end of the quarter helped to slow the decline and bring the quarter in at a level only slightly worse than typical seasonal decline." Looking ahead, the firm expects a "modest" decline in shipments from Q1 to Q2.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16903

IDC estimates AMD's CPU market share at 22.3%

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16903

Not a good sign when your revenues drop despite a gain in market share and you still don't break a profit. If AMD weathers this economic storm, we'll have seen one hell of a miracle (in addition to the already lucky loans and fortuitous investments). If it doesn't, I'd be willing to bet someone else steps in before it's allowed to go belly up.

2011 is shaping up to be an interesting year since hopefully, AMD will have a level field of competition, (after their successes on multiple fronts in antitrust litigation,) armed with a strong new product lineup. Here's hoping the survive 2010 :-/

I wonder how the AMD/Intel cross-license dispute resolution process is working out.

I think the time has run out for the arbitration period.

Actually. Nothing has been heard from either the Nvidia/Intel or AMD/Intel lawsuits recently.

neliz: Do you have some link to a source of this information (reason: crappy cards, not OC models)? Thanks :)

They botched up cards, most obvious public showing:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=264&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=12
Piling onto this is the fact that the Revolution 700 is a power-hog. Palit failed miserably in their attempt to improve power consumption, as this product lacks proper idle 2D power programming in the BIOS

they tried to position a RV770 in RV790 price bracket and failed. only thing I have to go on is reports of high failure rates on the palit cards. There are other manufacturers that work with the cost-down cards that have bad power consumption (MSI) but these are used for local (read asian) markets as OEM boards. The cooler (though impressive looking) has a very bad fan, the cards always runs at full power and in tropical climates they drop like mad.

I can imagine AMD getting ticked off seeing those boards ending up in worldwide markets.

From Seeking Alpha AMD Conference Call Transcript:

(Graphics ASPs)
Dirk Meyer: On the GPU side more generally, we saw a lot of I'll say competition and price competition at the bottom end of the market. I don't expect that dynamic to substantially change in Q3. What I do expect to be an opportunity for AMD in the second half of the year is our introduction of DX11-compatible products - in effect, a new product stack. We expect to be out ahead of our competition and we think that will have a positive affect on our mix and hence our ASP in the back half of the year.

(Graphic ASPs and Margins)
Dirk Meyer: Yes, Joanne. To be precise, the new DX11 stack I referenced will be in 40 nanometer, and clearly that'll give us an opportunity to kind of regain the high ground even more substantially and hence improve our mix in ASP and hence margins.

(Size of Ramp)
Dirk Meyer: Yes. So I expect that to be a very quick ramp in the desktop AIB channel, as we refer to it, and expect DX11 to start to showing up in notebooks more like in the first half of next year.

(Notebook 40nm 10.1 part margins for 3rd and 4th quarter)
Dirk Meyer: Through cost improvements, yes. You know, it's less of an upsell as opposed to a unit cost improvement going from 55 to 40.

(End user demand and Windows 7)
Dirk Meyer: Yes, Windows 7 first. Awfully hard to predict. Obviously, good product, well executed, I'm enthusiastic particularly about the DX11 technology that's being dragged along at the same time, so I'm hopeful that that's going to motivate people to buy a little bit richer mix of graphics technology in their systems.

(40nm TSMC Prospects)
Robert J. Rivet: Yes, we're not expecting any issues with TSMC's 40 nanometer technology to, I'll say, block our opportunities in the market as we walk into the back half of the year.
Robert J. Rivet: Yes, going forward we don’t see any issues

Interesting.

Graphics revenue is up despite ASP being down. So basically they are selling quite a few more graphics cards to offset the lower ASP.

Not so good, CPU revenue continues to go down, but not as much. Units holding steady is good, but ASP down means continued losses.

And at least it's promising that despite the global recession, they've lowered their losses Quarter over Quarter and Year over Year.

Appears that the GPU division is still the only bright spot and is proping up the company numbers. But the CPU division is showing some progress, which is good.

Regards,
SB

http://www.eetimes.eu/semi/212002481;jsessionid=CIDUEKPGIYKQMQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?pgno=2

AMD plans to introduce its version of an HKMG process developed in partnership with IBM midway through 45-nm production. However, AMD's first 45-nm device is manufactured using polysilicon gates with oxy-nitride dielectric.

I was unable to find anything newer. The article is dated november 2008.

The statement from IBM about bringing it in at 32nm was from April 2008.

If somebody could provide a link to anything (substantial) containing more recent info' .....

Just curious so don't bust a gut looking.

I thought we were supposed to be seeing HKMG 45nm Phenom IIs this year?
I've sort of been hanging out for that :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back