The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
News is out that former AMD stronghold Cray is going to bring Intel into its design lineup.
While AMD's chips are still to be used, perhaps in current and near-future designs, Cray is apparently trying to change already contracted designs for the US government over to Intel QPI-based systems.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207402549

This could be an indictment of any number of things:
AMD's uncertain existence at that future date.
AMD's lack of compelling future products (Bulldozer, GPGPU).
AMD's lack of a compelling future platform (QPI on Intel, incredibly delayed HT3).
AMD's lack of credibility on any of the above.

Continuing my debate with apoppin from the GT200 thread, concerning the failure of R600, Fusion and the AMD-ATi acquisition...
apoppin said:
. . . and i would say "what other reason" would ATi go with hat in hand and ask to be swallowed up by AMD if they did NOT share their Fusion Vision? - unless you believe, as some of us do [i did] that Fusion was a "ploy" to unbalance nVidia while they scrambled to fix Phenom and r700. But i don't think so anymore.
Do we know for a fact that ATi went to plead to AMD to be acquired? I'd say it was AMD who initiated the merger talks, it would make more sense. If they *did* share AMD's Fusion vision, they could work together on it while remaining two separate companies. But perhaps ATi didn't want to do Fusion, and had to be bought to change its mind. nVidia was too big to swallow, AMD probably didn't trust in VIA & S3's capability to deliver good chipsets and GPUs (although, for the low-power market where AMD's aiming all the time, buying VIA and S3 could have been a better choice), so the only one left was ATi...
apoppin said:
i believe AMD using ATi's know-how, has managed to get a prototype of fusion and they have diverted their engineers away from lesser projects [note the conservative specs of r700]
If you think about it... Fusion is not anything revolutionary. The GPU just moves from the northbridge to the processor and everything else stays the same. Just like moving the memory controller to the CPU, except that is much more logical. And what do you need to create a Fusion processor? Just put a PCIe controller on the CPU and an RV620 on the other end of the lanes. HyperMemory will do the rest.

As for the conservative specs of R700, I think there's a different reason for that. AMD is broke and needs to trim costs, so they focus on the most profitable segments and dual-GPU solutions, because that way they only need to design one chip instead of two.
apoppin said:
and are content to attack the midrange and IG while they prepare their real weapon against intel and nVidia [who is also eyeing Via for a SiS division to make their OWN CPU-GPU] while Intel struggles to take everyone on at once. My analysis is that intel has the most to lose and will do so without clear vision - Larrabee is insufficient for at least 5 years, imo
It's not about having a Fusion-like CPU, it's about having a complete platform. nVidia's running scared because AMD has its own chipsets and GPU's and Intel is working on Larrabee and has its own chipsets as well. Of course, it you put a GPU into the CPU, then you can be absolutely sure that nVidia won't sell its IGP chipset together with your CPU... but then again, not all CPU's will be Fusions.

Intel is doing Larrabee because they're not short-sighted. Just look at R580, G80... those are essentially the many-core chips that Intel sees as its tomorrow, except they're here *now*. Intel saw that getting to its goal will be bumpy if they try to upgrade their CPU, but easier if they start with a GPU. Larrabee is in fact primarily aimed as a GPGPU solution, but if Intel tried to market it as a specialized co-processor, it would cost too much. So they'll make it render pictures as well, make profit with it as a GPU, and then offer it as a specialized co-processor for a ridiculously low price.

My fingers grow weary, so let's leave the R600 for a later time, shall we?

Wow, AMD is up 15% in 2 days. No one knows if that is due to rummors of a spinoff strategy, the new anti trust complains or rummors of rummors of rummors...

AMD already isn't executing 10.5h, or at least isn't if you look back at the last "let's be honest, we messed up, but here's how we'll do better" presentation given by Mario Rivas at the end of last year.

Montreal should have brought a new socket, revised uncore, newer memory, and a higher HT port count.
That's been pushed back another 9+ months.

Not only must have the core design of Montreal failed to come to fruition, but AMD's delaying of the socket as well highlights its baffling inability to manage a straightforward update of the direct-connect system architecture in a timely manner.

Ugh, so my prediction of Istanbul being ready in the desktop market in early 2009 was way off: http://beyond3d.com/content/news/630 - this sadly removes much of my enthusiasm for 2009, even if AMD executes on their roadmap... :( Also, my impression remains that the 8/12-core SKUs will use a new 256-bit socket, but we shall see. If that isn't even the case, then get ready for yet another debacle of epic proportions.

Ugh, so my prediction of Istanbul being ready in the desktop market in early 2009 was way off: http://beyond3d.com/content/news/630 - this sadly removes much of my enthusiasm for 2009, even if AMD executes on their roadmap... :( Also, my impression remains that the 8/12-core SKUs will use a new 256-bit socket, but we shall see. If that isn't even the case, then get ready for yet another debacle of epic proportions.

Arun, the 6/12 core Istanbul/Magny Cours SKUs will reside on a new socket (G34). AMD's roadmap shows as much.

But that's not what I want - I want a different bus width for both Istanbul and its 12-core derivative. I can't see how they'll deliver that with a single socket. So either they'll do something nifty, or that bus width sure as hell better be >128-bits.

Why do you guys suppose that all 6 cores will be CPU based. Why not 4 CPU based + 2 GPU based? It makes sense, since the supercomputer market usually uses server chips... Or at least, the bulldozer might be included in Instanbul line, as with 2 modified cores.

This reasoning when I thought it would be to risky to go on a again on a multi chip multicore design again, so they would considering just sticking 2 more CPUs or GPUs. Maybe both. So the 12 chip would be 2*(4+2(CPU or GPU)) configuration. 4 dies together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supercomputers tend to be very low-margin and the big systems are an extremely small slice of the overall market, almost a vanity thing for a commodity x86 chip.
The customers are extremely focused on performance per dollar and are not afraid to jump suppliers or architectures at every system change.

The bulk of server chips AMD needs to sell wouldn't be served too well by having GPUs on board.

I edited my post 3dilettante! I added a few more things. Here´s the main thing:

"This reasoning when I thought it would be to risky to go on a again on a multi chip multicore design again, so they would considering just sticking 2 more CPUs or GPUs. Maybe both. So the 12 chip would be 2*(4+2(CPU or GPU)) configuration. 4 dies together."

They are constrained.

There's not enough adding up for this rumor as of yet.
I haven't heard about a TSMC SOI process being ready in the time frame, AMD redesigning a processor to fab on bulk silicon, or a refactored SOI processor to run on the peculiarities of any TSMC SOI process.

I know I'm dreaming but ......, in your opinion, is there any possibility that this is related to a new product?

Anyway, why wouldn't Chartered Semi' get this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back