PowerVR SDK Updated - Includes stunning new Benchmark !

Kristof

Regular
Supporter
The PowerVR SDK has been updated. The Update include several new demos, illustrating features like Procedural Textures, Internal Colour Accuracy, Stencil Buffer Shadows, Terrain Lighting, etc. Also included is a brand new Benchmark, which hopefully will become an Industry Standard just like VillageMark :p

Fablemark
http://www.pvrdev.com/extra/h/FableMark.htm

D3DFableMark is a benchmark program featuring a puppet theatre in which a well-known fable, "The Hare and the Tortoise", is performed. Every object in the scene has soft-edged shadows projected onto the stage background and the rendering of these accurate shadows form the basis of this benchmark.

FableMark.gif

Fire
http://www.pvrdev.com/eg/h/Fire.htm

EMBM can be used to procedurally generate hundreds of textures from only two input textures. The technique is applied here to fire, marble and clouds, and can be used for many more effects.

Fire.gif

ITC
http://www.pvrdev.com/eg/h/ITC.htm

PowerVR hardware uses tile-based rendering technology; this means that the rendered image is kept inside the chip until it is complete. Hence the render need not be affected by the render target bit depth, allowing 32-bit quality even on a 16-bit render target. This example clearly demonstrates the loss of image quality in traditional renderers, in 16- bit screen modes.

ITC.gif

Shadow Land
http://www.pvrdev.com/eg/h/ShadowLand.htm

Vertex lighting can easily be used to render shadows on a terrain from an infinite light source like the sun. Each vertex stores two "horizon angles" - each frame, the angle of the sun is compared to these angles to decide if the vertex is lit, and if so then the normal lighting equation is used. Soft-edged shadows are easy to apply and also demonstrated.

ShadowLand.gif

Soft Shadow
http://www.pvrdev.com/eg/h/SoftShadow.htm

Demonstrates the use of multiple shadow-volumes per object per light source to generate soft-edged shadows.

SoftShadow.gif

Some Quick Remarks :

- Fire requires a 3D Card that supports Render to Texture and EMBM, this means that this demo will NOT work on GeForce1, 2 and 4MX cards.

- FableMark might show artefacts when run on an ATI Radeon 8500 card, we believe this is due to driver issues. It is possible to run FableMark correctly on these cards using UniTuner to disable Hardware TnL and HyperZ. Note that visual artefacts invalidate the framerate results of the benchmark.

UniTuner is available from :

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/UniTuner/index.php

Can we get some bigger screenies for us few, us proud, us hardware-deficient folks? :)

Reverend said:
What an extremely likeable troll Kristof is!
:)
I don't think Trolls have beards.
Seriously though, Fablemark is a lot of fun as well as being a good benchmark.

cute benchmark ;)
btw.. i got 5.2 FPS with my GF2MX
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 5.2
Benchmark: 2804 frames

Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Description: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Version: 6.13.10.2312

Resolution: 1024x768x32
Texture compression: ON
Max. Texture used: 1024x1024

CPU Description: AMD K7 (Athlon)
CPU Speed: 1.200GHz

Time:         2002/6/6 10:31:39 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: D3DFableMark.exe -Benchmark
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: was the race in a low gravity area :LOL: ?

Ripping off some results from another forum :

Code:
D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 34.2

Driver: pmxdisp.dll
Description: Vivid!XS
Version: 1.05.15.0084

CPU Speed: 1.0GHz

Time:         2002/6/6 10:47:23 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\PowerVR SDK\DX8\Apps\D3DFableMark\D3DFableMark.exe" -benchmark

Source = http://www.pvr-net.com/cgibin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cff42b51cbcffff;act=ST;f=2;t=355

GeForce 3 Ti 200 + Pentium III 1.0B Ghz:

1024x768x16: 17.5 fps
1024x768x32: 17.1 fps

GeForce 3 Ti 200 oc to 220/250:

1024x768x32: 21.5 fps

Very cute (and clever) benchmark :)

Here's my result:

Code:
D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 34.6

Description: 3D Prophet 4500

CPU Description: AMD K7 (Duron)
CPU Speed: 800MHz

Time:         2002/6/6 11:43:54 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: d3dfablemark -Benchmark

Very cute benchmark I should add. Nice to see I beat out a 1Gig Amd Athlon with my 800Mhz Duron :D

Quite nice, first time I have seen the whole thing.
I still think that it would have been better to have one of the characters running at fixed speed, and have the other running at a speed based upon the framerate.

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 34.6

Description: PowerVR KYRO II 32MB/64MB

Resolution: 1024x768x16

D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 34.3

Description: PowerVR KYRO II 32MB/64MB

Captain Chickenpants said:
I still think that it would have been better to have one of the characters running at fixed speed, and have the other running at a speed based upon the framerate.
But then you wouldn't be comparing the same thing on different systems (or even the same system with a different driver). That would rather ruin it as a benchmark.

Code:
D3DFableMark v1.0

Average FPS: 19.9

Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Description: Radeon 8500 / LE (Omega/Plutonium X1.0.71)
Version: 5.1.2600.0

Resolution: 1024x768x16

CPU Description: Intel Pentium 4
CPU Speed: 2.400GHz

Time:         2002/6/6 12:32:32 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Command Line: D3DFableMark.exe -Width=1024 -Height=768 -Benchmark -AutoQuit

Daemon_UK did you notice any visual issues ? If not could you tell us where to get that driver release ?

K~

visual issues

Yes, all the textures? (characters, house, trees) anything in the foreground was flashing contastly.

If you want the driver release, goto here ... driverheaven.net

I use these drivers, because they are better than anything ATi can produce :eek:

[edit]
oh and mine is the LE, and its not clocked. Standard 250/250
[/edit]

Simon F said:
Captain Chickenpants said:
But then you wouldn't be comparing the same thing on different systems (or even the same system with a different driver). That would rather ruin it as a benchmark.

True, but it could be an extra option on the command line showing the value of not rushing things and takeing the time to do things properly.

They still haven't done my multiple view of the same scene idea either.
Kind of like the intro to Tintin.

Ailuros said:
*ahem* That server is either unbelievably busy or it's just slow o_O

Its always slow, when I had a kyro II and new drivers came out, it was crawling ... :devilish:

I think they should find another provider to host their files... o_O

I rarely d/l'd reference drivers, but the other demos I usually got from the PVR SDK site had normal download speeds. There must be the whole B3D community d/l it at the moment..... ;)

Re: visual issues

Daemon_UK said:
Yes, all the textures? (characters, house, trees) anything in the foreground was flashing contastly.
In that case those drivers haven't addressed the bug either.

The flashing texture issue, as far as we can tell, is caused by very slight differences in the vertex position when lighting is enabled and disabled. The lighting algorithm used in Fablemark uses multipass rendering meaning the same geometry gets send down multiple times, in cases with lighting and in cases without lighting. Apparently ATIs hardware/software generates slightly different vertex positions in these cases resulting in incorrect Z results (the texture pass ends up incorrectly invisible).

Try to grab a screenshot and check for a tile based artefact around some objects (sun, clouds, characters), it seems to be caused by HyperZ since it dissapears when you disable HyperZ using UniTuner.

And yes, our server is suffering from a high number of download requests... so things do slow down :)

K-

I reinstalled the K2 specifically to check those demos out and alone for FableMark I'll need over 5 hours to get it down with that rate. Hope that makes you feel bad enough Mr.Beets heh.

Have some pity for us poor 56K users... :(

j/k

Back