Previous "2900 XT Lacks UVD" Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This posted yet? http://www.hardspell.com/english/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=622

They mainly test HD decoding -- H.264, VC-1, at 1080p. Interesting in that the HD2600 & HD2400 performed very well, with very little CPU usage even with a fairly low end CPU. But the HD2900 didn't fare so well, it seems that they weren't able to get the kind of HD decode performance of the 2600/2400 chips... to the point where the reviewer theorized that the HD2900 did not have the UVD.

It's a bit fishy marketing, if true like it seems it is;
Sure, they never said anywhere that UVD would be part of the full line-up, but they surely did give the impression it would be

Regardless of the issue, I'm again one step closer to build myself a htpc now that I'm moving to a new apartment together with my girlfriend, as we're both "movie freaks" to a degree, HTPC seems a lot better solution than watching movies from my computer since we don't have stand-alone DVD-player, let alone HD-DVD or BluRay player which we could never afford, buying the drives for PC will be a lot cheaper option, and with HD2400 being priced as low as it is, it's a damn perfect solution.

HD 2900 does not have UVD; it'll be paried with HD video capable CPU's. The drivers used in that test don't yet have decode acceleration enabled either, first revision of that comes with 8.38.

HD 2900 does not have UVD; it'll be paried with HD video capable CPU's. The drivers used in that test don't yet have decode acceleration enabled either, first revision of that comes with 8.38.

Could you than specify what does Avivo HD compromises of - as far as I can see it's abilities differ quite a lot between flagship, HD 2900, and other members of 2000 series?

It's quite obvious that UVD wasn't built in time, or you engineers couldn't spend additional budget to implement it in a monster consisting of around 700 million transistors, but then your solution isn't that much distinct from competition unfortunately....

What about AVP, I presume that it is also present only in HD 2600 and HD 2400 series?

Zvekan

"Avivo" has always been an umbrella term for various technologies, some of which sit outside of even a single graphics board. In terms of HD 2900 what takes it beyond previous generations is the inclusion of HDMI and HDMI audio, integrated HDCP with dual-link HDCP playback, and the fact that all the IQ capabilities are already applicable in HD as well as SD on HD 2900.

"Avivo" has always been an umbrella term for various technologies, some of which sit outside of even a single graphics board. In terms of HD 2900 what takes it beyond previous generations is the inclusion of HDMI and HDMI audio, integrated HDCP with dual-link HDCP playback, and the fact that all the IQ capabilities are already applicable in HD as well as SD on HD 2900.

Sorry for bugging :), but are you saying that, for instance, users of X1900 Pro can't expect similar IQ enhancements in SD and HD video?

Disregarding additional strain that HD content brings regarding much bigger number of pixels?

Zvekan

I had suspicions from the beginning. HD 2900 has 700 million transistors including the IO RAMDACS etc, while the G80, whose output is through the NVIO chip has 681 million transistors.

HD 2900 does not have UVD; it'll be paried with HD video capable CPU's.

Dave, big sites like Anandtech, Tom's Hardware and Tech Report are claiming that R600 features UVD, even Beyond3D writes: "All '6-family products and the GPUs that drive them contain a new video decoder block called UVD, or Unified Video Decoder". Quite alot misinformation floating around?

Also GeCube's Radeon HD 2900 XT retail box has UVD listed as feature:

http://www.gecube.com/cms_file.php?id=2602

Is this one big misunderstanding or what's going on? Thanks.

Dave, big sites like Anandtech, Tom's Hardware and Tech Report are claiming that R600 features UVD, even Beyond3D writes: "All '6-family products and the GPUs that drive them contain a new video decoder block called UVD, or Unified Video Decoder". Quite alot misinformation floating around?

GeCube better change those boxes before someone gets sued.

Sampsa? Like the Sampsa? Or hommage to a legend? :LOL:

I've seen the docs, I understand where the confusion crept in, but the settling consensus is no UVD in R600.

Hilbert said so too.

Please understand that the entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 2000-family features the latest Avivo HD technology yet only the 2400 and 2600 series actually have the UVD core logic.

This sums up the confusion between what "Avivo HD" and "UVD" really stand for.

Well, go back to the earliest references to UVD. It's clearly aimed at midrange and value systems. So it's pretty consistent from that pov. I could quote from AMD's document why people got confused. . .and quote further from the same document why they shouldn't have been. Sometimes sh*t happens. It's regrettable, but I'm not seeing a conspiracy here.

Hilbert said so too.

Actually no it doesn't when it's found on the HD 2900Xt packaging of:
GeCube and the back of the HIS packaging. Therefore, what am I to believe:
-someone who posts on a forum
-what's clearly placed on the package itself at the time of sale
Which do I believe in a case like this? Also, if this video card does not have UVD why is is placed on the packaging?

If you take a look at GeCubes press release they had it correct in the first place. That was a mock up packaging shot and isn't used on retail boxes.

Sorry? ;)

Game, set, match?

16052007061le9.jpg

Hilbert said so too.

From newegg
14-241-056-08.jpg

From Gecube site (corrected)
cms_file.php

its a pure and simple confusion ... Gecube, HIS... ?

back to the topic, please!

The *real* and important question:
HD 2900XT AVIVOHD < ??? > GF 8800GTX PUREVIDEO ?
HD 2400/2600 UVD < ??? > GF 8500/8600 VP2 ?

bye

you don't take it to a court house, unless your looking for a warrent for ATI's arrest.:LOL:

Justice department, consumer affairs, gotta file complaint with consumer affairs, and claims court at the courthouse. Obviously you've never sued anyone before, obviously I have. AMD's paying for laywers, in the least, or I automatically win.

the law? well, it can be found right here:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-38/bo-ga:s_4//en#anchorbo-ga:s_4

Definition of "false or misleading representation"

(2) For the purposes of this section, "false or misleading representation" includes
(a) any representation in which expressions, words, figures, depictions or symbols are used, arranged or shown in a manner that may reasonably be regarded as qualifying the declared net quantity of a prepackaged product or as likely to deceive a consumer with respect to the net quantity of a prepackaged product;

(b) any expression, word, figure, depiction or symbol that implies or may reasonably be regarded as implying that a prepackaged product contains any matter not contained in it or does not contain any matter in fact contained in it; and

(c) any description or illustration of the type, quality, performance, function, origin or method of manufacture or production of a prepackaged product that may reasonably be regarded as likely to deceive a consumer with respect to the matter so described or illustrated.

Add to that the fact I bought this card online as well, and you have online sales fraud as well. That can elad to arrests, for sure. This gets prettier by the minute.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back