Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers (Wii) Trailer

I'm sorry, but other than some good looking textures and a brief use of in-direct textures, I see nothing there that PS2 can't do. The closeup of the main character makes me think that he's made of less than 10,000 polygons. Just compare his hair to Leon's hair and you'll see. Maybe something longer than 10 seconds could really show off what this game looks like, but right now, I'm not impressed.

Indeed not really impressive. Although it atleast seems textures and model detail is more towards the ''high-end'' ps2/gc titels instead of the average ps2 gfx of most current Wii games. I guess they just did some updates to what they had running on the FF GC game.

I think they're still using GC lightmodels. Even Mario Strikers Charged/Pokemon Battle Revolution gooks a bit more impressive because of the newer/better lighting. (Reminds me too much of Kingdom Hearts 2, with a few FF:CC effects here and there)

I still like the high detail and animation going for it.

Is it a sequel of somekind to the previous crystal cronicles?

As far as I can tell, no. I know for a fact that the gameplay won't be anything like the GC version either.

I think they're still using GC lightmodels. Even Mario Strikers Charged/Pokemon Battle Revolution gooks a bit more impressive because of the newer/better lighting.

I've been wondering about that myself. What exactly are they doing with the lighting in some of these Wii games? They actually look pretty good. Games like Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, DQS, and a few other games have this lighting that looks better than the usual GC quality even if everything else isn't. It can't be surface scattering, can it?

I've been wondering about that myself. What exactly are they doing with the lighting in some of these Wii games? They actually look pretty good. Games like Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, DQS, and a few other games have this lighting that looks better than the usual GC quality even if everything else isn't. It can't be surface scattering, can it?

[Pokemon] Battle Revolution has some pretty impressive lighting that sticks close to target renders. I'm guessing Square-Enix is experementing with phong shading/some sort of illumination for FF:CC-CB. That, or it's just their art direction leading them to a more flat look (I still prefer the original FF:CC's art direction).

There are some parts of the airship scequences that really impress me. I'm starting to wonder if they'll utilize it in a sort of Skies of Arcadia fashion...

Any idea whether this game will focus on multiplayer like the original FF:CC? I was one of the few people who played the original with a few friends, and I thought it was a blast.

[Pokemon] Battle Revolution has some pretty impressive lighting that sticks close to target renders.
Not sure I agree with that. IMO the lighting used is akin to a cubemap lightmap, used to create rim-lighting and shadowed areas, an additive map for the highlights and multiplied map for the shadows, plus a bit of colour variation - add a slight blue tinge to the shadow map - for artstic effect. The principle is the same as spherical/cube reflection mapping.

The character model definitely looks better than FF:CC for Cube. Notice his fingers when he lands on the ground about 3/5 of the way through. Also, notice the fur shading on the collar of his jacket. And y'all talk about textures like they dont' matter. Sure, PS2 could throw around a lot of polygons...as long as you used 4-bit textures and rudimentary lighting. And yes, I do notice 4-bit textures.

Hmm, could use some better textures here and there. And the lighting could be improved. Looks good though, but I'm better they're using an older engine to make this game.

Looks pretty epic, though. Love when he jumps off of the air ship. :)

The character model definitely looks better than FF:CC for Cube. Notice his fingers when he lands on the ground about 3/5 of the way through. Also, notice the fur shading on the collar of his jacket. And y'all talk about textures like they dont' matter. Sure, PS2 could throw around a lot of polygons...as long as you used 4-bit textures and rudimentary lighting. And yes, I do notice 4-bit textures.

I believe there are characters in FF:CC that have fur shading on them. Also the character models in FF:CC are supposed to look "cute" vs the art style of this game. Looks like it's using the older FF:CC engine with a different art style.

So I guess the Wii can't do that shiny plastic look? That's fine by me as I never liked that look much.

I believe there are characters in FF:CC that have fur shading on them. Also the character models in FF:CC are supposed to look "cute" vs the art style of this game. Looks like it's using the older FF:CC engine with a different art style.

The main character actually has "fur" on his coat. If that's what you mean, anyway.

Bah, I can't find the screenshot.

The fur shading in the GC game definitely isn't as good as what's being shown in this clip. Everyone should get used to the idea that you're not going to see much in the way of brand-new special effects on what is basically a juiced-up Gamecube. You should, however, expect to see better textures, bigger draw distances, more polygons, Gamecube special effects in greater quantities and at higher fidelity, and so on.

In some sense, the best Cube games looked like PS2 games with better textures and special effects--it's just that those things do add a bit to graphics. Heck, you could even say that about 360 games.

Back