Rings of Red

I could hardly care less if it weren't for the fact that the Xbox360 for our engineering club room scratched Fifa07 to the point of no more using it. Now we're stuck with Halo 2.

Ms should get on this issue right away.

usually there are rubber pads to protect the reader lens, but 360 drives were found not to have these protection, so discs are vulnerable to come contact with the lens and scratching occurs. hope you understand this. :yes:

if this is not correct i will delete this post.

it's to do with when discs tilt in the drive to make contact with lenses. ;)

llamma has a makeshift solution for this, by putting rubber pads above trays to prevent this happening.

Untitled-1.gif

Maybe all the anecdotes and informal polls don't "prove" anything, but they sure have put me off buying a 360. It's about the only console with a library that interests me, but there are just too many stories of dead 360s out there.

Maybe all the anecdotes and informal polls don't "prove" anything, but they sure have put me off buying a 360. It's about the only console with a library that interests me, but there are just too many stories of dead 360s out there.

Don't let the few vocal whiny bags dissuade you from actually buying a very nice system. There are many more people who use their systems without problems. They just don't post on forums or blogs saying they're not having problems. They're actually playing and having fun. My experience? I bought mine last Christmas and it had a July 06 Mfg date. I haven't had any problems at all. I stand mine vertical and it's not in an enclosed/confined space. I don't have a fan on it or use any 3rd party fan accessory. Personally, I think there may be some issues with early hardware, but one has to think that will the same people having the same problem over and over again that it might have more to do with the user or the user's environment. If you're smoking 3 packs a day and have 3 inches of dust on all your equipment, then maybe just maybe it's the user's fault instead.

Anyway, you get a free 1 year warranty from Microsoft. Plus, they offer a 1 year extended warranty for like $30 and you can pay for that anytime between now and the end of your 1 year warranty. If you don't like that, then get an in-store warranty like Best Buy. Trust me if you like the games and want the system, THEN BUY IT. You won't be sorry. You'll just wonder why you didn't do it earlier. If you don't, then look at all the fun you'll be missing.

Tommy McClain

I am currently on my fifth one. I have 2 (1 core for computer / 1 for TV) and my premium (which was covered through MS has been nothing more then a send in get a refurb problem repeat.) I then went to my local best buy and bought a core with 2yr trade in for new policy (no more waiting 2-3wks for refurbs). My premium has gone back 3 times (original MS refurbs) and my core has gone back once. Now my core is acting up again with the DVD drive having some read issues. I'm holding out for the 65nm release and hopefully this all will be taken care of.

On a side note, I see that not only personal but actual countries (Austria?) are investigating and sueing MS for the troubled launch we have had. Shame really because it does have so much potential. Then again you get what you paid for and its getting more true every generation. Pushing technology at such accelerated rates for a low cost. Sad but true :(

Don't let the few vocal whiny bags dissuade you from actually buying a very nice system. There are many more people who use their systems without problems. They just don't post on forums or blogs saying they're not having problems. They're actually playing and having fun. My experience? I bought mine last Christmas and it had a July 06 Mfg date. I haven't had any problems at all. I stand mine vertical and it's not in an enclosed/confined space. I don't have a fan on it or use any 3rd party fan accessory. Personally, I think there may be some issues with early hardware, but one has to think that will the same people having the same problem over and over again that it might have more to do with the user or the user's environment. If you're smoking 3 packs a day and have 3 inches of dust on all your equipment, then maybe just maybe it's the user's fault instead.

Anyway, you get a free 1 year warranty from Microsoft. Plus, they offer a 1 year extended warranty for like $30 and you can pay for that anytime between now and the end of your 1 year warranty. If you don't like that, then get an in-store warranty like Best Buy. Trust me if you like the games and want the system, THEN BUY IT. You won't be sorry. You'll just wonder why you didn't do it earlier. If you don't, then look at all the fun you'll be missing.

Tommy McClain

The people who write stuff like this generally haven't had their 360 for long, or are one of the lucky few with no issues.

Mine worked perfectly for 14 months and then just died. It wasn't dusty. I don't smoke. It was well ventilated in a vertical position. Why are you getting angry at the people who are suffering the poor quality control?

And why should we have to buy an extended warranty? Every other console I've ever bought still works.

The people who write stuff like this generally haven't had their 360 for long, or are one of the lucky few with no issues.

Mine worked perfectly for 14 months and then just died. It wasn't dusty. I don't smoke. It was well ventilated in a vertical position. Why are you getting angry at the people who are suffering the poor quality control?

And why should we have to buy an extended warranty? Every other console I've ever bought still works.

It is alarming that people are not just reporting whether they've had problems with the 360 - a significant proportion of the reports out there are about what number 360 they are on. I don't think any reasonable person disagrees that Microsoft needs to address this problem, though some of the free passes that people come up with are worrisome.

Lucky few? Are you saying that every Xbox 360 is defective and that every one is going to eventually fail? I didn't think so. This was why I responded in the first place. The people having problems that voice these issues are being so loud and upset that they are now making the problem look bigger than it actually is. So much in fact that the person I responded to was holding off purchasing one. The people not having problems are not the lucky few. They are just the ones who are not telling everybody they're not having problems. LOL They're actually playing and having fun with their systems. They are not the minority(or lucky few as you suggested). If they were then Microsoft would be making major recalls.

Angry? I'm not angry. I posted as a response to a user that let the FUD from these people get to him.

I didn't say you had to, but you don't buy a car or a house without getting some insurance do you? These systems are so cutting edge that it would be insane not protect yourself. As always, "Buyer Beware".

Tommy McClain

Lucky few? Are you saying that every Xbox 360 is defective and that every one is going to eventually fail? I didn't think so. This was why I responded in the first place. The people having problems that voice these issues are being so loud and upset that they are now making the problem look bigger than it actually is. So much in fact that the person I responded to was holding off purchasing one. The people not having problems are not the lucky few. They are just the ones who are not telling everybody they're not having problems. LOL They're actually playing and having fun with their systems. They are not the minority(or lucky few as you suggested). If they were then Microsoft would be making major recalls.

I'm not suggesting that every 360 is defective. I am suggesting the majority is though.

I would not recommend buying a 360 if you're worried about reliability. I love my 360, but the hardware build quality is absolute junk. When you have problems with yours you'll be singing a different tune.

I didn't say you had to, but you don't buy a car or a house without getting some insurance do you? These systems are so cutting edge that it would be insane not protect yourself. As always, "Buyer Beware".

That's an incredibly poor analogy. You don't buy insurance for a car or a house because you're worried about bad build quality. Car insurance certainly doesn't cover build quality. You buy insurance in those cases because of external events happening to your purchase.

As I said, I've never had another piece of console hardware break. The 360 is the second piece of hardware I've bought an extended warranty for - the first being a Sony Ericsson phone. In both cases I did so because of the numerous online reports about problems with reliability. In both cases they did indeed break on me just outside the warranty period.

You'd be mad to ignore the problems people are reporting. But here you are, recommending just that.

I would definitely say a 360 is worth it, especially atm in Australia (where the premium bundle has come down markedly in price), but you NEED an extended warranty with it, and you need to be prepared for any problems. Microsoft needs to address this issue properly asap.

BTW just because Microsoft isn't making major recalls doesn't mean there's not a problem. They also denied problems on the launch hardware only to come clean later.

I'm not suggesting that every 360 is defective. I am suggesting the majority is though.

If that's the case, I have nothing more to discuss. I can't intelligently discuss with somebody that believes the majority of the Xbox 360 systems(more than 5 million) are defective. Have fun with that.

Tommy McClain

I'm not just talking about rings of death in terms of defects, and I'm including refurbished / repaired 360s. Also that's just my guess, I have no hard numbers. If you think that's insane, well good for you, but from what I've seen happen with my friends and on the boards I visit, it is crazy how many problems people have with that hardware. You're in a minority view if you think these problems are just FUD.

If you don't wish to take this discussion further, that's fine by me - but please don't harass the people who ARE going through these problems with your smug assertions that it's their fault somehow.

Clearly Tommy has no issue with the notion that there are people who are having / have had issues with faulty units, obviously he has issue with the enourmous numbers that are being pulled out of thin air.

Anyway, you get a free 1 year warranty from Microsoft. Plus, they offer a 1 year extended warranty for like $30 ...
If MS just added those $30 to the price they may get rid of the issues.
I think the problem is that MS has been forcing the manufacturer to hard o cost-reduce. I read an article that claimed that the contracts forced them to lower some part of the component cost with a certain per cent each month, that certainly encourage manufacturers to cut corners.

It would be interesting to know if the cost for the broken units is shared between MS and the manufacturer, what kind of quality the manufacturer is obliged to deliver? I guess that is really hard to do because some issues the manufacturer can claim are due to design errors etc. those things are really hard to prove. The flawed DVD-drive on the other hand, I wonder if that design was approved by MS. I also wonder if all the really noisy drives are built that way?

That idea that you have to pay or one year waranty is maybe obvious if you live in a country where at least one year warranty is not a mandatory by law for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let the few vocal whiny bags dissuade you from actually buying a very nice system.

Those Whiny bags would be 100% hardcore XBOX 360 fans that would defend the Console to their deaths?

There is more to this than Warranty and just getting a "new one" when the one you bought fails.

Discs are getting scrachted by the DVD drive, Microsofts answer, replacement discs for 20$, should have been free of course.

Live subscribtion still running while your 1,2,3,4,5th 360 is under repair?

There have been reports of people having trouble with their purchases from Live when they get new machines.

And finally, what are the odds that so many people have had not one or two but three four and five+ consoles failing. What would the number crunches say to that one. How big a failure rate would be required for those numbers to add up? With a failure rate of 2/5/10% what are the chances that someone would get 5 consoles in a row that fails, or in the extreme cases 7!

The good thing is that with such a high failure rate there would be no discussion that in EU the console would fall under the 2 year "warranty". The first 6 months is normal warranty where the manufactor has to proof that the failure wasn´t his fault. The last 18 months the consumer has to prove that it´s the manufactor fault which shouldn´t be a problem with the XBOX 360.

Now for someone that actually plans on buying on console and not a new one every second year i think it´s valid to be concerned and just enter the holding pattern for the Die Shrink.

And finally, what are the odds that so many people have had not one or two but three four and five+ consoles failing. What would the number crunches say to that one. How big a failure rate would be required for those numbers to add up? With a failure rate of 2/5/10% what are the chances that someone would get 5 consoles in a row that fails, or in the extreme cases 7!
As I said earlier in the thread, it's clearly a faulty assumption to assume that the replacement units have the same failure rate as the new machines. That there are more reports of people with multiple failing consoles than just one bad console is proof enough of that.

However, the existence of these cases does not tell us anything about the initial quality. It just tells us that Microsoft is pissing people off by skimping on replacement units.

Still, I will agree with you that it's reasonable to have some apprehension for buying a XB360 given how you could get a bad refurb if the original fails.

Back