PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

Titanio said:
BTW, apparently you can stream AVI movies to your PS3 using Nero MediaHome and its transcoding. I'm about to try out a demo of it myself, but supposedly it works - there's a video of it out there, showing even a XVid video at least being listed properly. It might take a little while to figure out what the best server software is as far as transcoding etc. goes..but this looks promising as far as going beyond what the PS3 alone plays natively

Just tested with Windows Media Connect. Streams MP3's fine, same as the 360. And now just watched my first Divx movie on the PS3 via Nero MediaHome, video streamed fine but the audio was a little corrupted.

Excellent ! So the Media Server makes a difference (as I expected) :)
We don't have to wait for MS to update their software. Smaller developers
should run faster.

i tested my set, and i can see all the boxes in "Full" mode, but i have to raise the brightness by 7 notches. setting my RGB to Limited allows me to have the same brightness level for both DVD and games.
You can also set the BD/DVD playback to use RGB color space, and then use "Full" with the same brightness for both games and movies.

I'm just dissapointed 1080p/24 support doesn't work for my setup. The only options are "automatic" and "off" so it's apparently assuming my display doesn't support 1080p/24 though DVI because the auto detect resolutions doesn't work so I have to manually enable 720p and 1080i, and while my display doesn't support 1080p/60 over digital inputs it doest accept 1080p/24.

Just created a thread in the PSP forum about 1.80 Strongly Hinting that PSP 3.50 will allow PSN login from the PSP but I thought I would mention here as it's kind of related.

New text of Remote play screen:-

"When connecting the PSP system over the internet, you must be signed into the PLAYSTATION Network on this PS3, Also, when connecting, you must sign in on the PSP system using the same sign-in ID"

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41550

One quick question?

Will EU console accept firmware that is downloaded from US playstation site? Or vice versa... Just asking.

Expect to see Mac DLNA Media Server soon (if not already available).

While driving home, it hit me that the DLNA + RemotePlay media platform could be the foundation for Playstation Home media sharing. Don't know how many concurrent sessions are supported.

What they need now is some sort of security/approval mechanism on top. Home will bring in the community and traffic.

I also wonder about LittleBigPlanet... whether we can use DLNA to browse and retrieve media from my home network (including a DLNA-compliant TV in the future), then stick them into my level.

I also wonder about LittleBigPlanet... whether we can use DLNA to browse and retrieve media from my home network (including a DLNA-compliant TV in the future), then stick them into my level.

I'd guess yes...in the Home developer FAQ, this question was asked (in the context of Home media sharing), and the answer was that it would depend on firmware functionality becoming available. I would say the same would apply for importing assets in LBP.

Also, funny you mention about media streaming in Home..apparently now the video chat function allows you to share photos with the others in the chat room. TTP on GAF pointed this out..he speculates it might be expanded to other media in the future..

RGB Full comparison.

Without
41640_med.jpg

With
41642_med.jpg

Got lines on the second image, sorry.

The only thing really missing from the PS3's DVD playback is the ability to "zoom" in on letterboxed non-anamorphic DVDs. I watch a lot of indy DVDs that aren't anamorphic but still letterboxed...the 360 allows me to "zoom" on the image so it fills the full screen, without borders on the sides and top and without cropping any data.

In this case, what happens when you set "Display Settings > TV type" to 4:3 and then "Display Settings > Video Output Settings > DVD Wide Display" to "Pan and Scan" ?

There are so many knobs. I'm trying to understand their combined effects.

I will try that later, but the description explicitly says it's for 4:3 TVs while I'm trying to take it out of a 4:3-type mode and into a 16:9 mod.

Yeah... I was thinking the end result you want is to zoom into the letterbox. According to the online doc, the "Pan and Scan" option is not available if the TV mode is not 4:3.

You can also set the BD/DVD playback to use RGB color space, and then use "Full" with the same brightness for both games and movies.
i did force my DVD/Blu-Ray to RGB, but i still get the same result. all sets differ and this setting should not just be blindly enabled.

Giving a heads up. TonkyVision just released a beta version today that brings better compatibility with the PS3: http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3066

Actual trial version can be obtained here: http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/index-4-4.html

What's new in Version 4.4
-------------------------
new Features:
+ PS3 support (MP3,JPG,MPEG1,MPEG2,some MPEG4), no Internet Radio possible

Changes:
o changed DSM-320 communication with the server as the device crashed from time to time

Bug fixes:
- sort criteria for playlists fixed
- artist removed from default sort criteria
- date removed from default sort criteria

;)

Back