PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

Specifically, this PR gives a little more detail on the photo printing/viewing/cropping. The latter is sort of unexpected, I don't have an epson photo printer, but it's neat to see them support things like that. The added memory card functionality ought to be nice for anyone who might want to play any PS2/PS1 games between their PS3 and the other systems.

Actually, DLNA 1.5 added a Media Printer class (in addition to Media Controller, Renderer and Server). So I was on the look out for printer support. Not sure if PS3 is really using DLNA 1.5 though (Don't know if it's finalized yet).

I don't know what DLNA3 is.
DLNA is where the sentance ends, 3 is the start of the next feature. It's just the way it C&P'd over.

I wondered that too, and when a search for DNLA3 turned up nothing I figured it out.

but it's neat to see them support things like that. The added memory card functionality ought to be nice for anyone who might want to play any PS2/PS1 games between their PS3 and the other systems.
Nah, what would be neat would be them removing the encryption so people can do it with a USB device that they have owned for years and an app like the action replay max memory thing.

Robbing gits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope some day it will be possible to print wirelessly over WiFi. I have a Canon printer that's connected to my PC by WiFi, it'd be nice to be able to use it with the PS3.

Great update but HDMI/HDCP requirement for DVD upscaling is pretty stupid (DVD Forum heh). If I was going to rip a dvd, I could upscale myself anyway. It is not a magical
its the way all upscaling DVD players are; you can't upconvert over component unless the player has remote hacks to disable HDCP (like my LG player). or, like you said, rip and burn the DVD and it will upscale over component.

PS3Fanboy have screenshots of the new system software up

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/23/firmware-1-80-to-include-1080p-upscaling-for-games-and-movies/

It appears to do some form of AA on PS2 games (smoothing) and there is a biggie for HD aficionados 1080p24 BD playback by the looks of things.

The DLNA servers get added as if they were additional storage devices so looks pretty cool and well integrated with XMB

You got all that from that link? What am I missing? I just see pics of the XBM.

Edit: NM I see it in the menus, I thought there was screenshot and stuff :)

Nice. Those pics confirm they've added 24hz Blu-ray output also :)

edit - smoothing also probably isn't AA, but may be similar to what PS2 did for PSone games. Will be interesting to see what exactly it does..

its the way all upscaling DVD players are; you can't upconvert over component unless the player has remote hacks to disable HDCP (like my LG player). or, like you said, rip and burn the DVD and it will upscale over component.

Yep, I was talking about DVD Forum or whoever is regulating this, not Sony in particular.

It appears to do some form of AA on PS2 games (smoothing) and there is a biggie for HD aficionados 1080p24 BD playback by the looks of things.
I don't see any shot either, but upscaling with proper interpolation always makes pictures smoother.

I don't see any shot either, but upscaling with proper interpolation always makes pictures smoother.

This screenshot of the XMB menu shows an option to turn on/off PS/PS2 Smoothing and it's clearly a separate option to the upscaling

game_en.jpg

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but how come they didn't put PS3 game scaling in there along with everything else? Seems to be like it would be a sure thing.

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but how come they didn't put PS3 game scaling in there along with everything else? Seems to be like it would be a sure thing.

Not if they are post-processing with the Cell, but I don't know how they are scaling.

patsu said:
It also means that subsequent major updates will most likely be advanced Blu-ray playback (e.g., 24fps), digital distribution or online gaming related :D. Thanks and please Sony, give us Wallpapers and XMB in-game access next. I promise to be good this year :p

Heh. 1080p 24fps is in. The AVS guys should be relieved. Some are mumbling DTS Master Audio support but I was told the specs is not finalized (?). Blu-ray playback seems to be feature complete for now.

Only media distribution and online gaming left then. We should be able to see more features in July (Home public beta). Yes, scaling would be another mystery.

This screenshot of the XMB menu shows an option to turn on/off PS/PS2 Smoothing and it's clearly a separate option to the upscaling

game_en.jpg

Now that is interesting, thanks. If it means proper smoothing on edges only I will be very very impressed. Will check 480p output tomorrow to see whether it is a full screen low pass filter or something smarter.

Should be up for grabs now. As usual, I would expect the Official PS3 site to post the downloadable version within the next 12 - 24 hours.

Got it too.

Tried:
* 720p Blu-ray
* DLNA with Windows Media Player 11 (Music + Video). Once sharing is enabled, detection is automatic. Media are organized by time, keywords, folder or "all" in XMB.
* New slide show effect (Photo Album 2). They should let us use the slide show as an animated XMB Wallpaper.

Looking for my FFVIII. I want to see Rinoa and Squall upscaled :D

Last edited by a moderator:
FFXII looks much better, no more swimming textures.
Media Player 11 works fine as a server, nice and free.

Back