Haze : The official game thread

On the visual side of things I have to agree, it just isn't very impressive. Solid, for a launch game. And would have stood up well against Resistance (graphically). Lacks a lot of what we (I've) come to expect, or perhaps hope for, in a PS360 game.

Regardless, I find the gameplay overall to be enjoyable. Controls are solid. Guns have a nice "feel" to them. Nectar is interesting, and I would like to contrast it with the Rebel skills. I'm enjoying the banter of the troops during the mission, and looking forward to the story.

Some niggling issues, though. For example, in the demo, when you reach the downed Mantel plane, some of the terrain in the path leading to the plane can be tricky to navigate. Walking up what appears to be an easily accessible hill (created, presumable, when the plane crashed and slid) will leave you sliding down, then walking back up, and sliding down again, never reaching the top. You have to find select paths up. Can be problematic during frantic firefights (for me at least).

I was hoping to get to play as a Rebel as well.

Seems they put the extra development time into polishing up the gameplay. Despite my disappointment in the visuals, I'm looking forward to it. Looks to be a good game to play in the summer drought. $60 will be a bit tough to swallow though, especially now (after so many very solid FPS releases in last couple of years).

The story, co-op, and Rebel/Mantel play mechanics will probably be its saving grace (hopefully).

I wasn't too impressed with the graphics either..what gives especially it rendering at a subHD res, what was the delay for?

what was the delay for?

I get the distinct feeling we're seeing the results of Free Radical coming to terms with the new hardware. The delay then being to at least put out a solid, polished, game, gameplay wise, even if the graphics look they're lagging behind. Have you had a chance to play the demo yet?

Graphics look really nice. The art direction makes it look very organic ,the game has a very natural realistic impression even if a little soft.

I get the distinct feeling we're seeing the results of Free Radical coming to terms with the new hardware. The delay then being to at least put out a solid, polished, game, gameplay wise, even if the graphics look they're lagging behind. Have you had a chance to play the demo yet?

http://www.ripten.com/2008/05/06/add-haze-to-the-sub-hd-generation/

Roc Yescombe:

We’ve got a 12 hour streaming experience and for someone to put that next to a game where they can spend 2 minutes loading a level every half an hour. Well good for them, but it’s a totally different game. Just because it might be first person, just because it might be on the same platform, they’re totally different games, totally different things that we’ll be able to do.

So we want to give people variety of gameplay, and if that means you’ve got a texture that doesn’t look photo realistic, well guess what, you’re going to enjoy the game more than you would looking at a photo realistic texture.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's both rude and untrue. It's got a great story for a shooter, no loading, 4 player co-op, bots in multiplayer, Haze powers are great fun, as are abusing them...so yeah don't talk against Free Radical unless you've had a go.

When did you play this game? Seeing as the demo wasn't released before your post?

Played it last night for an hour or two. Must admit I'm a little disspoainted. The whole nectar thing has been touted as its main draw and it turned out to be something done countless times before in various forms. The game itself was still pretty decent to play actually, the nectar did add a ounce to tactical gameplay, in the dense foliage. Graphically I had problems much like GTA4 on the PS3 the game is bloody blurry, what is it with the PS3 and this sodding filter or what ever it is. For me it makes games like this impossible to play because it really affects my eyes. The bloom doesn't help either as this appears overdone to me. Shame really as although I don't think this is a tip top title it still appears to be a decent romp. By the way before anyone asks my TV is a calibrated Pani PV500 and GT5 looks as clear as day.

Played it last night for an hour or two. Must admit I'm a little disspoainted. The whole nectar thing has been touted as its main draw and it turned out to be something done countless times before in various forms. The game itself was still pretty decent to play actually, the nectar did add a ounce to tactical gameplay, in the dense foliage. Graphically I had problems much like GTA4 on the PS3 the game is bloody blurry, what is it with the PS3 and this sodding filter or what ever it is. For me it makes games like this impossible to play because it really affects my eyes. The bloom doesn't help either as this appears overdone to me. Shame really as although I don't think this is a tip top title it still appears to be a decent romp. By the way before anyone asks my TV is a calibrated Pani PV500 and GT5 looks as clear as day.

Haze is blurry because it's 576p, according to Quaz.

I only mentioned the Play.com event because Ostepop was wondering how you'd posted opinions before the demo was out.

Think I should stay out of other people's conversations from now on!

I'm guessing the look hasn't changed much/at all since Play.com?

I only mentioned the Play.com event because Ostepop was wondering how you'd posted opinions before the demo was out.

Think I should stay out of other people's conversations from now on!

I'm guessing the look hasn't changed much/at all since Play.com?

Well I'm just saying I've played it more than at Play.com Live! The look has changed from Play.com - newer build now.

Well I'm just saying I've played it more than at Play.com Live! The look has changed from Play.com - newer build now.

Seeing as the demo's up on PSN I'd be disappointed in you if you hadn't played it more than on that occasion. But anyway, gotcha! ;)

Can you quantify the difference between the Play.com build and the demo build? As you'll know there's been mixed reactions to the gfx.

[opinion]
Strange how some gamers say Haze gfx look bad, I don't find anything bad at all. Demo is a short and very limited, so won't say anything about the gameplay. This might very well be like Resistance1 where storyline carried a lot.
[/opinion]

Back