Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

After 2 hours of playing on advanced sensitivity, I am not impressed. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but my reticle still moves around to much and my arm gets tired, something that you never experience with mouse control.

Well I either think you are just trying to blame the controlls on purpose or you are just playing the totally wrong way. Your arms get tired? how are you holding the controller? please dont tell me you are holding up your arm like in the commercials? because you can just let your arm sit on the couch and play with small wrist movements. Actually its less tiring as you are not sitting in a forced cramped position with your arms and hands like with a normal controller.

Maybe you just need to practice a bit more because I dont believe you dont like it if just about teh whole internet says its way better than analoge sticks.

Well I either think you are just trying to blame the controlls on purpose or you are just playing the totally wrong way. Your arms get tired? how are you holding the controller? please dont tell me you are holding up your arm like in the commercials? because you can just let your arm sit on the couch and play with small wrist movements. Actually its less tiring as you are not sitting in a forced cramped position with your arms and hands like with a normal controller.

Maybe you just need to practice a bit more because I dont believe you dont like it if just about teh whole internet says its way better than analoge sticks.

Well, he is right about the interaction with levers and switches being hit and miss. It definitely isn't 100% and even 90% might be generous. I don't feel it ruins the experience in Metroid, but it doesn't limit what you can do with the controller in other games. This is a Nintendo game, and if anyone was going to get it right, it would be them.

My arm doesn't get tired playing, so maybe it's just the positioning of the arm. Demo doesn't seem to be a big fan of analog sticks, and recognizes potential in the wii control. It's just not his preference, which is fair. It is definitely not a perfect control scheme. Mouse is still more accurate for fps. I think the aiming precision is still good, and I'd much rather play an fps with wii controls than with a dual analog. But that's just purely subjective and there's no right or wrong answer. Some people will take longer to adjust to the controls, and some people just won't like them.

Also, I found the 'interactive' stuff to be hit and miss. For example, the very first thing, when you activate your ship's thrusts, half the time, it does not respond to my wiimote motion property. Other times, when dealing with the door lock thing in the security check section, you're supposed to grab the thing, pull it out, twist it, and put it back in. Well, well over 50% of the time, the first two parts succeeds (I grab it, pull it, and twist it), but pushing it back in fails, and I have to restart my arm motion. it's like it failed to recognize that I pushed my arm forward.

Once you understand you need to make sure you keep the Wiimote always facing the sensor bar and make sure you don't move it to close to it (well prolly not an issue for you) it works a ton better.

Also my opinion on the advance settings is the sensitivity isn't high enough. I'm used to maxing out sensitivity's in games so this one felt really well not sensitive.

If they didn't have the lock on, I'd say the game could use a little bit of auto-aim. Like, if you move your cursor close to the target it could snap-on a little bit, or correct your aim as long as the cursor is within' a small proximity.

I need a bigger tv. Sometimes I just can't see what I'm aiming at. Good old 23" SDTV.

Demo there's obviously something badly wrong with your setup. Not just because you've had such problems with MP3 (though that's strange enough) but because of the other things you've mentioned in various threads about the Wii controller. Like the hand icon stuttering/jumping a lot as you navigate the main Wii menu. That just should not be happening, I don't have the steadiest of hands but the cursor moves smooth as silk for me. Also there's very little if any involuntary movement while I keep the controller still (I'm talking about millimeter movements on occasion, usually none at all). Maybe you should do a short video showing you just navigating the menu so we can see exactly how bad it is and perhaps figure out what's causing it.

In my basement we have a glass-top coffee table. Depending on how close it was to the tv, it seemed to interfere with the sensor and made the cursor jump around a little bit. Maybe it's something like that, if it's really bad?

Even if you aim the Wiimote at an angle, the cursor becomes very unsteady. It might sound silly, but are you standing directly in front of the sensor bar?

I wonder if they can release a fool proof sensor bar in their Wii revision. There's no point in making a slim version of a small console like the Wii.

Even if you aim the Wiimote at an angle, the cursor becomes very unsteady. It might sound silly, but are you standing directly in front of the sensor bar?

I wonder if they can release a fool proof sensor bar in their Wii revision. There's no point in making a slim version of a small console like the Wii.

Well, it's not really a sensor. It's just two IR emitters. They let the remote know where the tv is. As long as nothing is interfering with them, you should be fine. My friend said you can actually put two candles on top of your tv and it will work. Not sure how well, and I haven't tried it.

I'm hooked. I just got my ship upgraded for the first(last?) time. The boss battles are fun. Hopefully this will not impact my sleeping too much.

Reports are MP3 already sold 400.000 copies which is even more than bioshock. Not to bad if you consider there are more x360's in America than Wii's and Bioshock is also available on pc. OTOH x360 has far more games good games to chose from so that might impact bioshock sales a bit compared to Wii that didnt had anything decent since paper mario I think (finally gonna get that in Europe in 2 weeks or so).

Demo mentioned he has a huge plasma screen. Could it be interfering with the Wiimote or sensor bar?

I'd never thought about that. Plasma tvs do produce a lot of IR. Some electronics come with IR receivers that are listed as "plasma proof," or, "plasma friendly." The receiver in the Wii might not be of this type. There are people who have problems with set-top boxes not recognizing button presses on their tv remote because of interference from plasmas. Maybe the wii remote just can't see the "sensor bar"(IR emitter) very well because of noise from his plasma?

Edit: Demo, if you have a smaller tv or a regular CRT, give it a shot for the sake of experimentation.

I played this game at my neighbors today and was pleasantly surprised (i've so far hated everything else other than tennis on the Wii). Its fun, the controls do get getting used too and the gfx are adequate.

I still can't help but think things would be smoother with a traditional controller (its easy to swing around a lot, but hard to be utterly precise like the twitch fps that I am), but that implies essentially a trade off of speed for precision. So whatever, call it a wash.

Obviously mouse/keyboard is still far and away the best solution. It really bothers me that PC gaming has fallen so low that many of us are forced into playing games on consoles nowdays.

Other than that quibble Metroid is still an excellent game. Its not a blow your mind big dollar nextgen extravaganza like say what GoW/CoD or Bioshock are/were, but its more than enough for a low budget solution like the Wii.

I've been playing the Wii since launch on a plasma tv with no IR issues.

I don't think it's a problem with all plasmas, but maybe just earlier ones. Do some searches on plasma ir interference and you'll find all kinds of problems with Tivo and other equipment with IR receivers.

I still can't help but think things would be smoother with a traditional controller (its easy to swing around a lot, but hard to be utterly precise like the twitch fps that I am), but that implies essentially a trade off of speed for precision. So whatever, call it a wash.

Which control setting were you using? Traditional controllers have never been either fast or precise for FPS's AFAICS so I'm rather confused by this comment.

I love it, the controls feel so incredibly natural.

Also, I found the 'interactive' stuff to be hit and miss. For example, the very first thing, when you activate your ship's thrusts, half the time, it does not respond to my wiimote motion property. Other times, when dealing with the door lock thing in the security check section, you're supposed to grab the thing, pull it out, twist it, and put it back in. Well, well over 50% of the time, the first two parts succeeds (I grab it, pull it, and twist it), but pushing it back in fails, and I have to restart my arm motion. it's like it failed to recognize that I pushed my arm forward.

I don't really experience this at all after I learned to slow down my movement a little bit. Like for the "tilt back, tilt forward" bits, you can't flick your wrist, you have to exaggerate the movement slightly.

Also the push/pull thing usually relates to the sensor bar, the way it's implemented is weird. It's like with Wii Play's pool game. You have to point the Wii remote at the sensor bar and push/pull with respect to that.

I love it, the controls feel so incredibly natural.

I don't really experience this at all after I learned to slow down my movement a little bit. Like for the "tilt back, tilt forward" bits, you can't flick your wrist, you have to exaggerate the movement slightly.

Also the push/pull thing usually relates to the sensor bar, the way it's implemented is weird. It's like with Wii Play's pool game. You have to point the Wii remote at the sensor bar and push/pull with respect to that.

Yeah. I agree about the interactions for the switches and thrusters. If you do the movements really fast, sometimes they're flaky. If you do them a little slower and more deliberately, and wait a second between completing one movement and doing the next, it seems to work very well.

I just got the spin jump thing. Having a lot of fun so far.

Once you slow down your movements slightly the gestures never mess up. I think the only times a gesture ever messed up for me were near the beginning (the thruster control) and one point on one of the puzzles where I wanted to get stuff done fast and didn't bother killing the enemies.

Man, I took so much damage...

Back