TSMC: 65nm supply-constrained, 45nm eDRAM in 1Q08

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Digitimes is reporting that TSMC's 65nm process production is now running "beyond 100%", indicating that their current facilities are now supply-constrained due to possibly unexpected demand. In related news, a recent interview with Chuck Byers of TSMC reveals that they plan to release their 45nm eDRAM low-power process as early as the first quarter of 2008.

Read the full news item

Quick note to let people know that news post comment threads are now auto-generated by the CMS (well, single-click, at least! ;)). Right now, it might not be obvious what is and is not a news item thread at first, since Rys is the poster, but we'll change that to being 'B3D News' in the future.

And more on-topic, I'm also wondering if Sony (a traditional eDRAM user) wanting to outsource production on 45nm might play a part in this. Although obviously the RSX and CELL won't need this... But the PSP would, if they choose to shrink that to 45nm.

Well, the article suggests a good chunk might be going to RV610 and RV630. Those are going to be high-volume parts, and AMD seems quite chipper about the reception they are getting in the OEM space with those. I have a pet theory that I can't prove that might have something to do with the famed "family launch" being pushed back some. That they preferenced OEM customers to hit the back to school refresh cycles and couldn't flood retail until later because of it.

Back