I've seen the errors of my way

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
CVS RULES!!!!
I don't care what anyone else says, do you know what I can do with minimal fuss?
I can create something that works, then I can commit it and then do whatever the hell I want with it, rewrite my code to use ASM, whatever. Including adding new algorithms and revising current ones.

I do those things in small increments, the moment I fuck up, revert to last commit.
Take that delete key and "save as" option. :LOL:

Welcome to the modern world of software development :)

And I agree, source control is a wonderful thing, can't live without it anymore.

No no no, using a regular text editor and having all the code in a flat directory structure on a network folder is much better. Nothing beats having to yell out "are anyone using file xxxx" every time you want to save. :D

And the next step for you then is test driven development. (Unless you already do that.)

Basic idea is to test each module in the project separately with a bunch of automated tests. Add functionality to the modules in small steps. And for each small step, start by writing a test that checks that functionality, then implement it.

You'll end up with a mini-project for each module. When you execute it, it either tells you that everything's OK, or what test that failed.
This is helpful in the original development, and it's really helpful when you start modifying the code. It's really nice when you can just press a button, and a second or two later, you know if your changes were OK.

Google "cppunit" for a framework to help with the tests.

In the true spirit of pointless arguing over the internet, SVN > CVS :p

I've been doing test driven development for a while. I can't live without it.

And the next step for you then is test driven development. (Unless you already do that.)

Basic idea is to test each module in the project separately with a bunch of automated tests. Add functionality to the modules in small steps. And for each small step, start by writing a test that checks that functionality, then implement it.

You'll end up with a mini-project for each module. When you execute it, it either tells you that everything's OK, or what test that failed.
This is helpful in the original development, and it's really helpful when you start modifying the code. It's really nice when you can just press a button, and a second or two later, you know if your changes were OK.

Google "cppunit" for a framework to help with the tests.

Just in case it hasn't been said enough yet. CVS Sucks. Use Subversion! Tis not like svn wasn't created to be a replacement to cvs that fixes cvs' problems or anything...

Back we when had a 3 preson at work and two people might actually get the chance to code around the approximate same time we set sub version on a linux dev box which has fault ram ( and now has 2 production webmail interfaces and a wiki for our sister company which is a IT firm but hey let them do what they want) sitll have set it up to boot so I have to manual restart it if the box goes down but it certainly dose the job.

SVN and CVS are both good, and both have certain advantages. In the end it doesn't really matter, as both work equally well with eclipse. :devilish:

Nite_Hawk

Back