AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, but lots of the HW sites do it as well. [H] particularly bugs me by implying the "highest" settings a GTX280 can run Crysis on is High with one setting at Medium. Thats complete bull because they have the resolution set at an insanely high 1920x1200 for such a resource intensive game.

Better to say the game runs with everything maxxed out and the highest playable resolution is 720p, or perhaps 1440x900.

I agree. When I play I do down to a lot lower res so I can run the DX9 very high hacked settings just to get all the eye candy, I would have thought most people would do that unless their card is midrange where you have to start to go down to medium etc as wel. Here we are talking about high end cards though...

Well, when I play games in a non-native resolution on my LCD I definitely don't like the quality as much. I've never played Crysis though so I have no clue the difference between the quality settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when I play games in a non-native resolution on my LCD I definitely don't like the quality as much. I've never played Crysis though so I have no clue the difference between the quality settings.

True, it depends on the resolution and the quality of your monitor. for me 1680x1050 is almost indistinguishable from 1920x1200. However some other resolutions do introduce an element of blurriness.

That said though, the difference between Crysis on High and Very high is night and day. Much bigger than the difference between say 1280x800 and 1920x1200 on my monitor (even though the higher res still looks much nicer).

Assuming the picture is legit, it's the first time since the X800 that the memory controllers were part of the architecture block diagram (since before the ringbus).

Edit: The PCIExpress interface also used to be a ringbus stop and it doesn't really look that way anymore. Maybe this is how they saved so much space for SPs and TUs. They discarded the ringbus. If it's only 256-bit, did they really need it?

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit late for the post ;)

This was posted a few days back and now the thread got the picture of the die shot already :devilish:

:cry: Is it already posted here? Well I guess it is getting more difficult to follow this thread. About the die shot, I've seen it from various sites many times though long before I found this.

Yeah that looks like a typo or math error but it does seem like GDDR5 has a real frequency but multiplied twice over what the GDDR3 effective would be for that same frequency

Basically, yeah. GDDR5 will deliver twice the data at an equivalent "core clock rate" as GDDR3.

Expect the marketing guys to call 900 MHz GDDR5 "3.6 GHz" or "3600 MHz" just as they call 900 MHz GDDR3 "1.8 GHz" or "1800 MHz". In terms of data throughput, it's an appropriate comparison.

great. the 4850 is on pre-order today (delivery next week) price €164. for comparison, the Asus' 260 is €345 and delivery and is not in stock, with expected delivery in 14 days.

AMD has a hand full of win right there.

I'm amazed that sites still bother to test Crysis at High settings on setups like these. I mean, who the hell purchases a GTX 280 or dual 4850's to play Crysis in DX9 mode?

I want to see how these cards perform at the games maximum graphics settings, anything less is an insult to these cards. If you need to drop something, drop the resolution. As if the difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 is anywhere near the difference between High and Very High in Crysis :rolleyes:

blah! what's wrong with testing a game at nicely playable, smooth framerates? they do drop the resolution by the way to get a good framerate with 4x AA.
if that don't please you go read other benches.

Not that Crysis should be the end-it-all standard of gaming. I didn't go farther than the first level because the selecting of an ability through the "pie-menu" is extremely annoying, and it looked and ran like crap on my PC, with no AA. with low res, medium detail and no AA it looks like I'm playing soldier of fortune 2 on a outdated (by its era's standard) PC. Whereas Far Cry is a highest settings, 4x AA w/ transparency SS, smooth joyfest and actually pleasant to play.
So I don't bother and won't be updating my 7600GT (gasp) for a while.

/edit : sorry for that inflamatory and rude tone :)

It's certainly shaping up to be a pretty bad summer for Nvidia. Lets hope they can transition quickly and flawlessly to 55mm so they can hopefully be more competitive price/perf.

If things stay as they are, I don't see Nvidia getting a lot of OEM design wins for the back to school season. Which gives ATI a chance to grab large chunks of marketshare.

The laptop market especially is wide open to ATI right now if they can quickly get out a chip based on Rv770 for the mobile sector.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back