AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any indication/proof that the 9800GTX will drop to $200 soon? We have at least some indication the 4870 could be as low as $300. It very well might be higher, but no one would be surprised if it came out at $300. I think quite a few would be shocked if Nvidia lowered the 9800GTX to $200 in the next week.

If the 9800 GTX was temporarily on sale for ~$235 with rebates, why is it so much of a stretch to believe that it could go lower than that upon the introduction of a strong new competing card? But here we go again spinning wheels. No one can provide "proof" with regards to something that hasn't even happened yet, unless you have a time machine. If the respective companies are smart, then the 9800 GTX will be priced to compete with the 4850. There's no way they could charge a heavy premium for the GTX unless performance is actually significantly better (which most likely is not the case).

No you are talking about the final price after rebates. I'm talking about the final price that's charged to my credit card. Besides, how do you know that in a week or two rebates won't stop popping up for the 4850?

Do you seriously believe that vendors will start throwing around rebates for the 4850 after 1-2 weeks on the market? That's dumb, unless they want to hurt their margins. After all, offering a rebate still means the obligation to give a full credit for that amount. As long as performance is there (as it should be), and feature set is there (as it is), then there is no reason to heavily discount 4850 from the MSRP.

True, let's just agree you were wrong and move on.

Let's just hope that you understand some day. Until then, stop the silliness. And here's a tip: a card that goes for $220 after rebates is more than 70% more expensive than a card that goes for $129 after rebates. In other words, totally different price point, as it should be based on the reported performance differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 9800 GTX was temporary on sale for ~$235 with rebates

Because it's not clear that it was (or at least was intended to be $235), perhaps it was a mistake on the website's part or nvnews' part. As it stands today, even with rebates, the 9800GTX is at least $250.

Do you seriously believe that vendors will start throwing around rebates for the 4850 after 1-2 weeks on the market?

No, doesn't mean it couldn't happen. But the "battle of price" will last longer than a few weeks. When the dust settles, the 4850 could be close in price to the 8800 GT.

Let's just hope that you understand some day

What like understanding that some people don't like counting rebates when comparing prices?

In any case I'm just waiting for game benches now that the actual cards have been leaked.

It's a bit worrisome that there's nothing about the 4870's though.

Reading through this thread there were a few mentions of how AFR and frame stuttering are related and could be addressed - do a lot of current titles that scale well in Crossfire (or on the X2 models) use AFR? What is the most common crossfire mode?

I greatly dislike AFR because of the increased lag in multiplayer games.

Reading through this thread there were a few mentions of how AFR and frame stuttering are related and could be addressed - do a lot of current titles that scale well in Crossfire (or on the X2 models) use AFR? What is the most common crossfire mode?

I greatly dislike AFR because of the increased lag in multiplayer games.

I believe CF is AFR only.

bunch of price stuff

Shouldn't you really be more comparing 4850 price to 9800GTX, since that will be it's direct performance competitor?
You can get 9800 GTX from buy.com, tiger direct, and compusa.com all for that price

Like I said, dodgy vendors...especially tiger.

Personally I never buy but from newegg, because you know you can return it easily, etc. It's worth the extra $10. Oh and Tiger owns CompUSA now I believe..

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't you really be more comparing 4850 price to 9800GTX, since that will be it's direct performance competitor?

Absolutely, the 4850 will basically be going up against the 9800 GTX (at least at the moment) in terms of it's closest priced competitor, and the 4850 should fare quite well in comparison. The only thing that NVIDIA can do in the short run is slash prices on the 9800 GTX, but that won't be a viable long-term strategy.

Dodgy vendors, are you kidding me? You can get 9800 GTX from buy.com, tiger direct, and compusa.com
Tiger didn't have the best reputation for rebates, but that was a few years ago. I don't know if things have improved since. I do know that CUSA went out of business recently, and Tiger bought CompUSA.com, so consider them one and the same. (Whoops--Rangers, I missed your edit.)

I haven't had trouble with orders from Buy.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back