AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4870 could very well be $300 (vs $270 for the 9800 GTX). While they are not the same price, they are close enough. If the 4870 is higher in price then that obviously changes things. As for the 4850 (~$200) vs 8800GT (~$150) comparison, it's not exactly AMD's fault that Nvidia doesn't currently have a card at the ~$200 price range (and the 4850 should preform well enough over the 8800 GT to justify the $50 premium).

As far as I know, the 4870 will be debuting at ~ $350, and 4850 will be debuting at ~ $250. No doubt, those prices can come down if needed, but I can't think of a good reason for them to do so at the moment since those cards won't have heavy competition (unless the GTX 260 price comes down to $399).

Note that the 8800 GT is actually selling for $129 right now, even at very reputable places such as NewEgg. Totally different price point compared to where 4850 will debut. And one can only suspect that 9800 GTX will come down a little bit once the 4870 hits the market. There's no doubt in my mind that 4870 will end up being significantly faster than 9800 GTX, so the GTX price may have to come down even further.

Where did you find a 4870 for $300, and 4850 for $200?

Which is why I said "could very well be", not "is". Now that we have cleaned up your semantics:

Note that the 8800 GT is actually selling for $129 right now

After rebate. Which is not to say rebates "don't count" but no 8800 GT "sells for" $129 either.

Totally different price point compared to where 4850 will debut.

But not different enough.

And one can only suspect that 9800 GTX will come down a little bit once the 4870 hits the market.

Can one really suspect that? Maybe. But I doubt its price will drop enough to make a profound difference. Even at the 4850's price range this card might not sell well.

EDIT: This argument is stupid and beneath me. We can argue all day, but until we know definitively the price ranges of each card, no one will win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is why I said "could very well be", not "is". Now that we have cleaned up your semantics:

"Could very well be" is just a silly statement. A 9800 GTX "could very well be" $200 by then, and an 8800 GT "could very well be" $100 by then.

After rebate. Which is not to say rebates "don't count" but no 8800 GT "sells for" $129 either.

I knew you would say that. What, all of a sudden we should ignore rebates because it may take a month or two to get a credit back? :D

But not different enough.

Terrible logic. Now we should advocate comparing a $129 card to something that will probably debut above $200? Pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: This argument is stupid and beneath me. We can argue all day, but until we know definitively the price ranges of each card, no one will win.

You really should stop, because you are just arguing semantics and completely missing the point in the first place about comparing two different cards at two different price points.

Terrible logic. Now we should advocate comparing a $129 card to something that will probably debut above $200? Pretty ridiculous.

I think the real problem here is you trying to call the 8800GT a $129 card. The 512mb 8800GTs are around $179 with rebates. The 256mb 8800s are unlikely to compete with the 512mb 4850. Can we move on from this stupidity?

A 9800 GTX "could very well be" $200 by then, and an 8800 GT "could very well be" $100 by then.

No it couldn't. "Could very be" infers that there is a decent chance of it happening. There is not a decent chance of those things happening.

What, all of a sudden we should ignore rebates because it may take a month or two to get a credit back?

Yeah. Some rebates take 3+ months. Not having $30-$50 for a quarter of a year is a big deal to some people. If I only have $130 in my bank account at this moment, I can't buy a 8800 GT.

Now we should advocate comparing a $129 card to something that will probably debut above $200? Pretty ridiculous.

Yeah we should compare a $200 card that vastly out preforms a $160 card. We evaluate cards in similar price ranges, by your logic we can't compare a card that's five dollars more than another card.

you are just arguing semantics and completely missing the point in the first place about comparing two different cards at two different price points.

Oh I understand your point; it's just not a very good one.

...not from this angle.

Thank you for providing such a valuable contribution to the thread. You've really added depth to it...

No it couldn't. "Could very be" infers that there is a decent chance of it happening. There is not a decent chance of those things happening.

How do you define "decent chance of happening"? Seriously, this semantical argument is starting to get beyond stupid.

Yeah. Some rebates take 3+ months. Not having $30-$50 for a quarter of a year is a big deal to some people. If I only have $130 in my bank account at this moment, I can't buy a 8800 GT.

Illogical. We are not talking about people who don't have the funds to purchase a card, we are talking about what the final price is after rebates (we aren't talking food stamps or store credit here, we are talking rebate check).

Yeah we should compare a $200 card that vastly out preforms a $150 card. We evaluate cards in similar price ranges, by your logic we can't compare a card that's five dollars more than another card.

A card that is available for $129 is simply in a different price range than a card going for $220. It's not hard to understand. Think about it: two of the 8800GT's in SLI would be $258 with rebates. So the SLI system is much closer in price to the 4850 than the single card!

Oh I understand your point; it's just not a very good one.

I don't think you understand at all. It's just common sense that it is fruitless to compare performance between two different cards at two very different price points.

Thank you for providing such a valuable contribution to the thread. You've really added depth to it...

[sarcarsm on]Thank you for all the silliness, it's always a pleasure to endlessly argue over petty semantics.[/sarcasm off]

I knew you would say that. What, all of a sudden we should ignore rebates because it may take a month or two to get a credit back?

Not to say it doesn't count, but it certainly doesn't for me as I never remember to send them in and half the time when I do it "gets lost in the mail". For me, personally, whenever I see "mail in rebate" I automatically ignore that amount like it doesn't exist.

A card that is available for $129

*pulls hair out*

How do you define "decent chance of happening"?

Does anyone have any indication/proof that the 9800GTX will drop to $200 soon? We have at least some indication the 4870 could be as low as $300. It very well might be higher, but no one would be surprised if it came out at $300. I think quite a few would be shocked if Nvidia lowered the 9800GTX to $200 in the next week.

we are talking about what the final price is after rebates.

No you are talking about the final price after rebates. I'm talking about the final price that's charged to my credit card. Besides, how do you know that in a week or two rebates won't stop popping up for the 4850?

A card that is available for $129 is simply in a different price range than a card going for $220. It's not hard to understand.

But those prices are disputable (and thus affect the argument). Like I said before, this argument will go around in circles until we know the prices for sure.

[sarcarsm on]Thank you for all the silliness, it's always a pleasure to endlessly argue over petty semantics.[/sarcasm off]

True, let's just agree you were wrong and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back