AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't discount any of this. I was speaking purely from the perspective of functional unit utilization, referring to ATi's traditionally-lower SP utilization rates (particularly in the R6xx vs. G8x/G9x generation).
In G8x/9x the MUL was idling when not used for transcendental calculations or attribute interpolations. Of course, trying to quantify that is pretty hard...

Jawed

In G8x/9x the MUL was idling when not used for transcendental calculations or attribute interpolations. Of course, trying to quantify that is pretty hard...

Jawed

Good point. We've been leaving the MUL out when considering the efficiency of G8x/G9x, so if you count all the SP units, you could say ATi has higher utilization rates.

Good point. We've been leaving the MUL out when considering the efficiency of G8x/G9x, so if you count all the SP units, you could say ATi has higher utilization rates.

Not sure what numbers you would base that on. How do you know how often the SF/interpolation unit is not doing SF/interpolation work? In general it depends on whether you consider G80's MUL available for general shading and give R6xx's interpolation unit a free pass as a non-programmable ALU.

Not sure what numbers you would base that on. How do you know how often the SF/interpolation unit is not doing SF/interpolation work? In general it depends on whether you consider G80's MUL available for general shading and give R6xx's interpolation unit a free pass as a non-programmable ALU.

The MUL was marketed as available for general shading. R6xx's interpolation unit was never marketed in any way, and even less presented as part of the shader core, AFAIR.

No numbers (other than marketing FLOPs).

ATI R4xx/R5xx/R6xx - 3 generation stayed with 16 TMU's.

I would assume ATI already realized by now "I hope" that TMU's became limited factor.

I got a feeling we will see 40 TMU's + 800SP's, sound about right. :D
no way, I bet they'll say "16 is enough" :p

So OBR said he couldn't post #s: "i am not under NDA but posting of result before NDA is not too fair for AMD ... and i cannot to do it." Nedjo, another poster there, seems to know what's up and said it was pressure from OBR's source that's stopping him from spilling the beans early (1, 2).

But another poster said OBR posted this elsewhere:
http://pctforum.tyden.cz/viewtopic.php?p=7610020#7610020

E8400@3.2GHz, 2GB DDR3@1600MHz, X38 2D - 135W, 3dMark06 - 222W, HD4850 ~ 12 000 3DMarks

this is what OBR posted at another forum

Edit: link fixed.

No, the 4850 is "only" 50% faster but the 4850 is clocked almost 20% lower, has less memory bandwitdth and lower power consumption than the 3870.
... and the HD 4870 is 30% more powerful than the HD 4850... with 25% higher frequency. :cry:

So the GDDR5 = only +5% performance ? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back