AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except RAM is dirt cheap anyway, isn't it? And I think 448, like the GTS 320 before it, would be treading the line of a really undesirably RAM handicapped card.

The reason I said 448 is because it's a direct cut-down from the 896MB GTX260 model. As for it being bound by its video memory, you are most likely correct, but we can always hope NV's "fixed" the memory management troubles of G8x/G9x.

I'm not sure how cheap high speed DDDR3 memory is. If there was such a solution it'd be as temporary as the GTS 340 most likely. I have my doubts about such a configuration personally.

I'd almost assume they'd pull a 448 MB version of the GTX260 (maybe name it GTX240 or something) if the 4870 is too close for comfort, but I'd have to wonder if it was worth it with GDDR3 being cheap and the G200 core almost certainly being the expensive part of the chip, especially if yields are so low that its not worth making a even cheaper card

If ATI's 48xx cards really do perform amazing for their price, then Nvidia will certainly be in a rush to push out the GT200b and G92b in the case of a price war

That was us, I think
Ha! Then maybe you posted it here. I thought if you had, more people would have remembered. The huge download would be nice, but I think the effect is noticeable even on the inline vid.

Indeed. It's all speculation at this point, no matter how reasoned anyone's arguments. If NV absolutely had to reduce selling price of G200 products to maintain marketshare, I don't doubt they would. It's certainly not good for the bottom line (at least not in the immediate quarter) but it helps in the long run, assuming the situation can be turned around again at some point in the future.

I'm highly doubtful of this happening unless NV started losing massive marketshare (for example - dropping their current marketshare by 30-50%). Nvidia just does not have a track record for massively reducing their margins even when they have a much lower performing part (NV30). Nvidia has a pretty loyal and rabid fanbase. Enough that it kept the NV30 from dropping their marketshare TOO much. And if GT200 somehow manages to tank, that fanbase will still be enough to keep them up.

I have a few friends that have already said they would never EVER buy ATI even if Nvidia ended up slower.

Although I suppose 9800 GTX could be seen as Nvidia selling the card lower than they would like due to pressure in the mainstream from 3870 and higher up with the 3870x2. It's still overall a fairly decent margin.

If any rumors of the size and cost of GT200 are to be believed. They would have to go into negative margins to do any significant cost cutting, and that' just something I don't think we'll ever see Nvidia do.

Regards,
SB

I'm highly doubtful of this happening unless NV started losing massive marketshare (for example - dropping their current marketshare by 30-50%). Nvidia just does not have a track record for massively reducing their margins even when they have a much lower performing part (NV30). Nvidia has a pretty loyal and rabid fanbase. Enough that it kept the NV30 from dropping their marketshare TOO much. And if GT200 somehow manages to tank, that fanbase will still be enough to keep them up.

A possible scenario for retail, but what about the OEM business? ATI could really make inroads there if the rumours about the relative performance/cost/heat/power are true.

You guys didn't learn your lesson from the 2900 fiasco.

Same pre launch hype all based on rumors. Everyone looked stupid launch day.

Guess we are all in for a repeat.

I have a few friends that have already said they would never EVER buy ATI even if Nvidia ended up slower.
Yeah, I know what you talk about... same thing here.

A guy enters a computer store.
He asks for a graphic card costing approximately $150.
He has the choice between a GeForce 8600 GTS and a Radeon HD 3850.
Now guess which graphic card he chose…

nVidia marketing = brainwashing machine :cry:

OrangeMecanique.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

i dont think its even close to the same, we have a much better idea of what RV770 is, where r600 fell down etc. We know how big the die size is, what we are talking about isn't "teh ati will pwnz the Nvidiot" its more about what has Ati done with the extra transistors and how much space does all this stuff actually take up and what the benifit will be based on where r6XX fell down.

LOL this launch is so different from the often-delayed and unknown R600 its not even funny. Unlike last time, we actually know what the architecture is based on and where and what can be its pitfalls. What we don't know is what the actual specs are and how that'll translate into performance #'s. This isn't exactly the unknown here.

But I guess seeing your post history and numerous warnings in these last few weeks in this thread about the impending doom of RV770, unless you've got some massive inside information or the card itself, you should go back to the GT200 thread and praise Nvidia cards :rolleyes:

And yet, we know roughly the same about R700/RV770 as we do about G80 a couple of weeks before launch. IMO, the tables have turned in comparison to the G80/R600 launch.
(While conservatively conceding that we don't know what is in store in the coming weeks)

One thing for sure, 1 8-pins + 1 6-pins power sockets are now on NV card instead :devilish:
It seems to me that all the hype this time belongs to NV more than AMD/ATi ....
Last time on G80 story, I remembered that NV was happy keeping their mouth shut than anything...

It is no point for the hype if you are confident in what you have got now in your hand...

Last edited by a moderator:
nVidia G200 slides and cards/die pictures are all over the places.
We know the die size, TDP, price, TMUs, ROPs, SP, core clock, shader clock, ...

But we know nothing precise/official about the RV770 except as regards its frequency: 625 MHz and 750 MHz.
480 or 800 SP ? 4, 5 or 6 blocs ? 16, 24, 28 or 32 TMUs ? Shader clock ? Shared memory ? Faster AA ? Faster Z ? New bridge chip ? ...

Only 2 weeks before the official launch...
Suspense, mystery, doubt, confusion, AMD wants to make us crazy. :runaway:

It does seem to be rather the opposite of the G80/R600 launches, eh? :) Where G80 was still virtually unknown weeks prior to release, Rv770 is still virtually unknown.

However, I don't expect Rv770 to have quite the impact that G80 did.

I do hope however that drivers are overall better this go around. After all, they will no longer be able to blame it on transitioning to a new OS, new DX version, and radically new designs. Well, ATI might if truly are introducing something new with regards to multi-GPU on a card.

Regards,
SB

I didn't mean that RV770 will have the same effect as G80, just only how the situation turn out this period are opposite to the last time on G80/R600.

At least, this time we know exactly that AMD/ATi will make their head on upper mainstream part for price/performance and there are almost no promising words they gave out recently for their new line of R7xx/RV7xx.

That is a good point to me that to keep your head low and do your work... at best.

Honestly, I rather like how AMD/ATi manage their infomation on this RV7x0 stuff :D

Sorry for going a bit of technical topic :oops:

Well this time around RV770 is based on an existing architecture so hopefully that translates to better drivers, though it seems that each Cat (at least 8.5/vantage fix) have given improvments in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back