AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
And everyone's confirmed Nvidia's price then, nevermind the fact that they'll most probably drop it when HD4870x2 gets released if not earlier.

U do know that if and when Nvidia wake up and realise that they have a lemming that the price will drop.

US

Last edited by a moderator:
And everyone's confirmed Nvidia's price then, nevermind the fact that they'll most probably drop it when HD4870x2 gets released if not earlier.

US
The price is confirmed by CJ's slide. The 'fact' of a price-drop is no where to be seen.

Also cutting price in face of performance deficit doesnt seem like a comfortable position, which you were alluding to.

U do realise that if and when Nvidia wake up that they have a lemming that the price will drop.

US

Given the monstrous die size and low yields of G200, I'm doubtful that NV's AIB partners have much headroom for margin on G200-based products. Unless of course they want to sell loss-leaders...

Indeed. It's all speculation at this point, no matter how reasoned anyone's arguments. If NV absolutely had to reduce selling price of G200 products to maintain marketshare, I don't doubt they would. It's certainly not good for the bottom line (at least not in the immediate quarter) but it helps in the long run, assuming the situation can be turned around again at some point in the future.

I do wonder about the possibility of another GTS 320 type chip out of the 260 variant.

Euro vs UDS conversion:www.xe.com

HD 4850 -> 156,00 Euro - 19.6% tax = 130,43 Euro = $204.20 USD
GTX 280 -> 581,83 Euro - 19.6% tax = 486,48 Euro = $761.60 USD

Quad-Fire HD 4850 = 816.80 USD -> Only 7% more than one GTX 280. :oops:

Unless we get the proof once the cards are out that indeed the problems with micro-stuttering have been aleviated, I really fear, that some people might actually think along your line of argument.

That said, if the 4850/4870 had decent lower-level AA performance, using CF AA could be really nice. If I ever got a CF setup, I'd think I'd usually use it for the AA.

Someone needs to make a video to show this micro-stuttering. I'm sure it happens but just how big a deal is it? The input delay would be more bothersome than inconsistent frame spacing unless you had really low framerates IMHO. Sounds more like an Nvidia PR assault on AMD and their multi-chip solutions than anything else.

Tech ARP

· ATI is set to launch their Radeon HD 4850 graphics card on June 18, 2008. The launch has been delayed to June 25, 2008.
· There will be a higher-end version, the Radeon HD 4870 with DDR5 memory but the launch date is still unknown.
· At least 3 ATI partners said that the Radeon HD 4870 is not ready for launch anytime soon, and if anyone was showing one off, it would have to be a mechanical mockup.

Old news ? Credibility ? :?:

Tech ARP

· ATI is set to launch their Radeon HD 4850 graphics card on June 18, 2008. The launch has been delayed to June 25, 2008.
· There will be a higher-end version, the Radeon HD 4870 with DDR5 memory but the launch date is still unknown.
· At least 3 ATI partners said that the Radeon HD 4870 is not ready for launch anytime soon, and if anyone was showing one off, it would have to be a mechanical mockup.

Old news ? Credibility ? :?:

Well, some rumors said that the release date was pushed to 25th so they would get 4870's out at the same time with the 4850, even if in small quantities

Someone needs to make a video to show this micro-stuttering. I'm sure it happens but just how big a deal is it? The input delay would be more bothersome than inconsistent frame spacing unless you had really low framerates IMHO. Sounds more like an Nvidia PR assault on AMD and their multi-chip solutions than anything else.
There are videos out there. I believe a German site made them, but I can't remember which or where I saw it linked--maybe at AT.

I do wonder about the possibility of another GTS 320 type chip out of the 260 variant.

I don't think it's necessary to wonder. If RV770 has a price to performance ratio advantage at all price-points then NV would be forced to counter with perhaps a 448MB part (assuming they simply halve frame buffer size while maintaining memory bus width).

I don't think it's necessary to wonder. If RV770 has a price to performance ratio advantage at all price-points then NV would be forced to counter with perhaps a 448MB part (assuming they simply halve frame buffer size while maintaining memory bus width).

Except RAM is dirt cheap anyway, isn't it? And I think 448, like the GTS 320 before it, would be treading the line of a really undesirably RAM handicapped card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back