AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question, since i did not really get it from the google translation of chinese 4gamer.net: Those really cool-looking demos were raytracing with the city scene being a static picture?

A question, since i did not really get it from the google translation of chinese 4gamer.net: Those really cool-looking demos were raytracing with the city scene being a static picture?
Guessing: the reflections are ray traced.

In the Fudzilla video you can see reflections of the cars moving left-right in the building at the left.

Jawed

Damn, I'm using Opera so the Fuzzy-Vid doesn't work for me. But your explanation makes sense - that'd be, what I'd also have thought.

btw- on my R600 Shader-resolved AA seems not to be as fortunate as on hooms HD3870. I'm returned incremental point losses from 1xAA to 8xAA of 1.7k/1.2k/1.9k. Aniso's still running.
edit: He probably used control-panel AA - hence his 24x-score; that does not work at all on my system with 3DMark 06.

That vid is supposed to show what exactly? DirectX 7.1 rendering?

Can you elaborate? Which demo do you feel is behind the times? the city or the bot?

How are you able to make any decent judgement from the poor quality videos? Do you have access to better ones?

I know this is not something worth much but anyway ..

We managed to get our paws on a Radeon HD 4870 card, the card that we used to call RV770XT. This is a dual slot card with a single 6 -in power connector.
Courtesy: Fudzilla

mm... CJ said that R700 scores about 5500 points in Vantage Extreme Test.
It's more than the double of HD3870X2 performance. Then ,if they haven't improvent the scaling, this would mean that 4870 could have about twice the performance of a 3870. But if 4870 double the 3870, will be also about more then 50% faster then 9800GXT... and a bit faster then 9800GX2 in some test..

Were you thinking of the RV770 and not the dual-chip R700? If you are actually talking about the R700 dual-chip solution then I'm not impressed with any of ATI's lineup, especially the R700 itself.

Man those seem to be good prices again. That is why I kept getting ATI products they have been getting the Performance/$ ratio right for a long time.

Man those seem to be good prices again. That is why I kept getting ATI products they have been getting the Performance/$ ratio right for a long time.

I disagree, there hasn't been a compelling reason to own a ATI product in ages. And their market share has shown it.

HD2900 versus 8800GTS, was a loss for 2900 imo. It had such inconsistent performance and problems with AA/AF. Even if it could trounce the GTS from time to time, for overall stable performance across more titles GTS was better.

Even the 3870/50, lauded as a great value and return to form for AMD, weren't really compelling products in reality. At best they were parity. 3870 ran about $10 more street price than 9600GT and performs almost exactly the same. 3850 wasn't worth owning because far better products (9600/3870) were a stones throw away. Also there seem to constantly be better deals on the 9600. With $30 rebates common, I saw one at newegg for $112 after 30 rebate recently. Which is a pretty insane deal for a card that isn't that much below 8800GT.

The 3870X2..personally I would never touch one due to the problems of multi-gpu.

To keep it OT, I think that's where 48XX could shine, assuming AMD doesn't screw it up again. Indications are they could simply be a compelling performance at a price point Nvidia cant really compete with with G92b. So hopefully, *unlike* HD3870/50, they will actually offer a superior buy.

Even the 3870/50, lauded as a great value and return to form for AMD, weren't really compelling products in reality. At best they were parity. 3870 ran about $10 more street price than 9600GT and performs almost exactly the same. 3850 wasn't worth owning because far better products (9600/3870) were a stones throw away. Also there seem to constantly be better deals on the 9600. With $30 rebates common, I saw one at newegg for $112 after 30 rebate recently. Which is a pretty insane deal for a card that isn't that much below 8800GT.

And, of course, there I'd have to disagree. :) The 3870 was actually a much more compelling purchase for some of my friends that do light gaming and or gaming on an HTPC than a 9600 GT or 8800 GT.

In the end, idle power savings goes a long way when you only game/stress the video card maybe 1-3 hours a day at the most. And when you want to game, it still provided ample power for an enjoyable game experience for most people in most games. About how much time I would expect most casual gamers to spend gaming.

And for a second gen HTPC I recently built. The audio over HDMI is just a godsend. Although I really don't like the fact that over(under?)scan is enabled by default when hooked up to a HDTV over HDMI. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI.

And for any friends that spend a lot of time gaming, or consider themselves enthusiasts, well the 9600/8800 GT weren't even in the running. It was 8800/9800 GTX all the way.

Back on topic...

If it's true that some 4870's will come with only 1x6 pin power connector, then all I can say is, "Wow!" That would be incredible for that level of performance. However, paint me sceptical until I actually see it. It just seems too good to be true.

I wonder if ATI has been able to make any more gains in idle power consumption.

Regards,
SB

Well, I was just speaking from my perspective as a standard desktop gamer, not overly concerned with power consumption, besides, I thought the 9600GT had excellent idle consumption? But I'm not sure on this.

And for any friends that spend a lot of time gaming, or consider themselves enthusiasts, well the 9600/8800 GT weren't even in the running. It was 8800/9800 GTX all the way.

Well there you go again, no particular reason to own an AMD card, which will hopefully change with 48XX. And I'm sure gamers are a much bigger segment than HTPC.

Considering the competition against the 3850 at its price range at launch was the 8600GTS, which the 3850 completely obliterates, the 3850 was quite a good buy at the time.

Well, I was just speaking from my perspective as a standard desktop gamer, not overly concerned with power consumption, besides, I thought the 9600GT had excellent idle consumption? But I'm not sure on this.

Well there you go again, no particular reason to own an AMD card, which will hopefully change with 48XX. And I'm sure gamers are a much bigger segment than HTPC.

actually with the rising prices of energy here in the states I would love to replace my 3870x2 with a single card that offered better performance with less power usage. if the 4870 can provide that are under $300 bucks then i will jump on it

To be fair the 38xx & 9600GT launches were 4 months apart. So for those 4 months, both 3850 & 3870 were very good value, especially considering there was a huge shortage of 8800GTs at that time ..

To be fair the 38xx & 9600GT launches were 4 months apart. So for those 4 months, both 3850 & 3870 were very good value, especially considering there was a huge shortage of 8800GTs at that time ..
And yet I got a 8800GT a day after launch for only $230. Best money I ever spent on pc hardware. Until ATI gets it's shit together on AF performance it will be hard to take them seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back