AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember if ATI R300 remain mystery till the last minute of release - back in 2002.

A. Nobody predicted that R300 will have 256bit memory controller.

B. Nobody predicted that R300 will surpass Nvidia GF4600Ti.

C. Nobody knew R300 will have 8 pixel pipelines for the GPU until last days before release (I think).

Edit: Usually if the GPU is successful, then the company remain quite about it; but if GPU is NOT - then like Nvidia had "Are you ready program" running for NV30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of people were talking about the R300 before it was out. There was a bit of hype around it. However, the hype was dismissed by many, including Tim Sweeney, as it wasn't from Nvidia. Mostly, people were more excited about / looking forward to the NV30. No one thought the dark horse ATI would deliver.

Plenty of people were talking about the R300 before it was out. There was a bit of hype around it. However, the hype was dismissed by many, including Tim Sweeney, as it wasn't from Nvidia. Mostly, people were more excited about / looking forward to the NV30. No one thought the dark horse ATI would deliver.

There is plenty of hype around about Nvidia GT200 and ATI RV770/R700.

I wonder who will pull a surprise for us ?? :D

Well I've reached a verdict so far on RV770.

RV670 has 666M transistors and if the RV770 rumoured die size should be real it might have 888M transistors.

In numerology 888 is the exact opposite of 666 (8+8+8=2+4=6 vs. 6+6+6=1+8=9) and thus RV670 was AMD's antichrist and RV770 will be AMD's Messiah. ROFL :p

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7180&Itemid=34
Maybe a bit more

We've learned that ATI's new chip might end up 1.5 to 1.6 times faster than the current RV670 solution.

In the real world, this should mean that if one game gives 50FPS with RV670 that the new chip should be able to get you around 75FPS at the same settings. On average, the new chip will have to be at least 30 percent faster than the old one to make you even consider it but at least specification wise there is not anything that you might miss.

RV670 was a shrinked and better speced version of R600 with 512bit memory controller crippled to 256bit and it looks that R770 will get that memory upped to 512bit again. At least we know it will end up being fast but we still don’t know what's Nvidia’s real answer to this one.

so this might give themperformance parity with the 8800gtx finaly with a single chip card ..... I'm hoping they are alot faster than this or they use barely any power at all . Otherwise I believe amd is screwed

Indeed. 1.5x is not exactly a significant lead when competition is factored in (performance wise). They need at least 2x to become serious in that playing field. The 512bit bus coupled with GDDR5 is promising though.

Still, if the price is right and there are other features to be offered, its a decent boost in speed overall. I'm not saying it sucks, but if that becomes true when we see final benchmarks, well, I may still wait for GT200.

I hate speculating... and waiting.

Fudzilla is so all over the map it's ridiculous. Ordinarily he contradicts his just previous posts with no acknowledgement. Sooner or later he covers all the bases and one of his posts is right, by sheer volume.

So far recently he's said RV770 is for May, then 2nd half 08, then June...with no explanation for the change at any time. Next I expect claims it to be a Q1 09 chip, then the next day he'll say it slotted for mid-May.

If it competes with or betters the best Nvidia has to offer (right now) and comes in at the rumoured RRP £150 mark (maybe less than £130 with retailer discount) then lots of people in the main stream market are going to go for it.

Sure they might not win back the "Enthusiast" market, but that isn't where the money's made.

If it competes with or betters the best Nvidia has to offer (right now) and comes in at the rumoured RRP £150 mark (maybe less than £130 with retailer discount) then lots of people in the main stream market are going to go for it.

Sure they might not win back the "Enthusiast" market, but that isn't where the money's made.

At 1.5x the RV670's performance it should be able to beat the 8800Ultra and 9800GTX in most cases I would have thought.

If that comes out at £150 then it would be an incredible bargain!

1.5x doesn't really fit with either rumpored spec.

The 32 TMU 480SP 1.05 GHZ chip should be 2x as fast.

The 16 tmu, 10,000 sp or whatever version, would only be 10-20% faster.

I'd say it leans closer to the former though.

But in the end we wont know til it's released.

If it has 16 texturing units like the RV670, I think the 150% figure could be quite accurate (and perhaps overstated even).

I agree, but at the same time I disagree.

You can't ignore that NVIDIA currently has the "Halo Effect" working for its entire line up (be it discrete GPU's, IGP's and chipsets). Heck, it's often that I see people picking up an 8600 GTS over a HD3850/HD3870, or a 750i/780i platform (SLI not needed) over an Intel P35 based solution, simply because of brand name. They know NVIDIA has the upper hand in GPU's, so they are naturally inclined into believeing that going with NVIDIA is the right choice for every price point/market.

For example; just the other day I was at my friend's house when he said that he purchased (I'm the 'Go-2-Guy' for any electronics amongst my friends) a brand new motherboard (his old 680i SLI motherboard was giving him data corruption issues--surprise, surprise! :rolleyes: ). "Great!" I thought to myself, thinking that he made the smart decision of shifting to an Intel P35 platform. After all, he only has a single 8800 GTX, and he had no plans in going SLI.
I slapped my forehead when I saw a brand new, open XFX 780i SLI motherboard package on the floor. His exact reasoning?
"NVIDIA is sick, man!"

You can have such an upper hand when your top of the line products trumps all competition in its path. IIRC, in every single generation, it was always the company who had the superior product that was better off.

Well I've reached a verdict so far on RV770.

RV670 has 666M transistors and if the RV770 rumoured die size should be real it might have 888M transistors.

In numerology 888 is the exact opposite of 666 (8+8+8=2+4=6 vs. 6+6+6=1+8=9) and thus RV670 was AMD's antichrist and RV770 will be AMD's Messiah. ROFL :p

Awesomeness. I avoided buying RV670-derived products for precisely that reason. I don't want any Satan inside my PC. Gimme the Jesus graphics card for pwning nubs in FEAR.

LOL about the numerology stuff. I read up on that a few years back. Very interesting number games. I like number games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back