AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14284/2

While there are vague noises about some other alternative to AFR, I'm not going to put any store in them. AFR appears to be the focus.

Separately, I'm utterly bemused by the shirking of SuperAA for example - surely a good way to get some 4xMSAA performance...

Jawed

Gotwalt confirmed that AMD is working on combining split-frame rendering with AFR in order to improve scaling in such applications. He even alluded to another possible technique, but he wasn't willing to talk about it just yet.

With shared memory it makes much more sense to do split frame rendering. ;)

With the RV770 being a single solution with shared memory, GDDR5, AND a 512bit bus, that should translate into some nice performance numbers, not to mention efficiency when considering shared memory vs. separated.

Where this should help more than anything else is in higher resolutions (1920x1200 and above), and as we're discussing here it should help in AA, AF performance. Playing Crysis at high details with these on might be a reality now.

As for AFR, I'd like to know if this shared memory solution will help alleviate the 3-frame limit, giving a 4-gpu solution better scaling (or any scaling in some cases).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have a "Kentsfield" GPU here? I still find it fishy that ATi brought out a 512bit bus when R600 clearly did not need it. Perhaps serving a greater purpose further down the line and it's implementation on R600 was a lab test for say.

I do agree; it's like playing Chess-game, you loose some of your chess pieces - but you win the game after.

Maybe R700 (Dual RV770) is true about it will have shared 512bit memory controller as appose R680 (Dual RV670) does not.

I don't imagine a shared memory pool is going to change anything other than reducing the cost of a card. And that cannot be discounted considering Nvidia (as far as we know) would still have to duplicate memory for an X2/GX2 style card.

When using AFR, each GPU is still going to have to independently render its frame. And it doesn't automagically allow easy use of other methods of multi-GPU rendering.

I'm with jawed on this. For ATI this is a HUGE from a cost standoint and a possible jumping off point for further multi-GPU integration.

From a consumer standpoint it'll allow for cheaper cards than the Nvidia alternatives, unless Nvidia has a monolithic GPU that is at or near the same speed as an R700 X2 type of card.

For the enthusiast who will spend oodles of cash for the fastest there is. There really aren't any benefits for them over and above the current way multi-GPU on a card is done, IMO.

Unless ATI is being especially coy when they made comments a few weeks back that multi-GPU rendering will still be basically the same with some "tweaks." Here, I'm assuming the major tweak would be shared memory pool.

In other words until I see differently. I like that there is progress being made. But I'm still not going to be buying a multi-GPU solution if it relies on AFR as the primary rendering scheme.

Regards,
SB

Silent_Buddha said:
From a consumer standpoint it'll allow for cheaper cards than the Nvidia alternatives, unless Nvidia has a monolithic GPU that is at or near the same speed as an R700 X2 type of card.
It's called GT200.

I don't imagine a shared memory pool is going to change anything other than reducing the cost of a card. And that cannot be discounted considering Nvidia (as far as we know) would still have to duplicate memory for an X2/GX2 style card.

When using AFR, each GPU is still going to have to independently render its frame. And it doesn't automagically allow easy use of other methods of multi-GPU rendering.

I'm with jawed on this. For ATI this is a HUGE from a cost standoint and a possible jumping off point for further multi-GPU integration.

For the enthusiast who will spend oodles of cash for the fastest there is. There really aren't any benefits for them over and above the current way multi-GPU on a card is done, IMO.

Unless ATI is being especially coy when they made comments a few weeks back that multi-GPU rendering will still be basically the same with some "tweaks." Here, I'm assuming the major tweak would be shared memory pool.

In other words until I see differently. I like that there is progress being made. But I'm still not going to be buying a multi-GPU solution if it relies on AFR as the primary rendering scheme.

Regards,
SB

Well I don't think that R700 is a true MCM acting as a single rendering GPU(although would be nice), I do think it's a major step forward in that regard. Perhaps suggesting later architectures to take it even further.

=>Disharmonic: Not that I'm surprised that they don't have capacity constraints when nobody buys their slow quad-cores. Nevertheless, monolithic Fusion is such a distant future that AMD will sooner go bankrupt than launch something like that. By the way, "integrating GPU into CPU pipeline", what's that supposed to be? You mean unified arithmetic logic units supporting x86 and GPU instructions? I don't think that's possible with reasonable performance.

This OT but anyway. There was a slide from 2006 showing this. They inted to mix CPU execution units with GPU execution units and the approach was called heterogenous processing. I dont remember the details much i'll try to look it up.

It all depends on how you interpret "manufactured by ATI". ;)

Initial 3870 boards were built by AMD with ASICs being shipped at the same time to AIBs so they could follow soon after. This allows for a faster time to market.

The same will most likely happen with RV770XT.

Maybe I missed it but is there a smidgen of evidence that R700 will use a shared memory pool or are people just "expecting" it for whatever reason?

Why not? Technically, it would be possible on a motherboard with 4 PCIe x16 slots. You just couldn't run them in CrossFire.

Good to know that, given the fact that his question most likely regarded a Crossfire scenario, not one of simply putting in as many cards as possible in a system just for fun.;) If it's only about having 8GPUs in a system for whatever, you can do that already-MSI K9A2 Platinum+4 3870X2, for example.

It all depends on how you interpret "manufactured by ATI". ;)

Initial 3870 boards were built by AMD with ASICs being shipped at the same time to AIBs so they could follow soon after. This allows for a faster time to market.

The same will most likely happen with RV770XT.

so AMD has their own plants in china too? I mean, old ATI boards made by ATI were made in Canada, and the closet match to "built by them" was generally accepted as PC Partner (Sapphire & co)?

Maybe I missed it but is there a smidgen of evidence that R700 will use a shared memory pool or are people just "expecting" it for whatever reason?
I'm not aware of any evidence. Someone at HardOCP said something to the effect and the rest's pure speculation.

Jawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back