ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series Real-Time Demos

The whiteout demo was terrible. It seemed much less "real" than the other Ruby demos so far.

It's the little things:
- There's very visible and annoying shader aliasing on the pilot's face mask
- Ruby's eyes look like they're completely dry. Needs a slightly more liquidy sheen.
- Ruby's skin looks like plastic!
- All the animations look terrible. Ruby doesn't move in a realistic way anymore, her facial expressions look especially forced.
- Her snowboard didn't leave a mark when sliding down the snow-covered cave into her HQ.
- Her hair seems to be almost plastered into place.
- When the icicles fall and smash on the walkway in the HQ, they bounce around far too much. It's as if they don't lose any energy when hitting the walkway and just keep bouncing until they fall off. Despite the weight of them, not a single ice shard remained on the walkway after being bombarded with a bunch of icicles - they all bounced off.
- Ruby's mouth always seems to be partially open for some reason. Especially annoying when she's in the HQ targetting the missiles.
- Falling icicles don't leave a mark, regardless of wether it's hitting snow or a metal walkway, and the ice shards just disappear.
- When Ruby unzips her top, her hand unzips it down to her waist but the actual zipper continues to sit on her chest.

And some tiny gripes:
- The icicles are hollow, they don't seem to have a bottom. I can see through them to the back of the other side when looking into where the bottom of it should be.
- There's a brief moment where the blue flash of the missile explosion starts before the missile reaches the detonation point.
- The missiles don't seem to have any exhaust. Probably was intentional, but I think it'd look better with exhaust.

- When Ruby unzips her top, her hand unzips it down to her waist but the actual zipper continues to sit on her chest.
Ahh, and there's the real reason you're upset. :LOL:

I bet they'll discontinue this tesselation thing after some time like they did with TruForm. Just when i started to like it (Serious Sam, some UT99 engine mods etc) they completelly removed it from drivers. I sure was pissed...

I bet they'll discontinue this tesselation thing after some time like they did with TruForm. Just when i started to like it (Serious Sam, some UT99 engine mods etc) they completelly removed it from drivers. I sure was pissed...

That is highly unlikely. Truform was a Radeon only feature back in the pre9700 days when ATI was still a puny underdog (although I was routing for ATI from the original Radeon). So developers had to include a feature that was only included in a card that had a very small percentage of the overall install base. Now ATI has a lot more clout and presense in the market... but more importantly the tesselator is straight out of Xenos, so that any 360 to PC ports are likely to take advantage of it. I don't know that (m)any PC games will take advantage of it, but it will almost certainly see more use than Truform.

Tho new demos for the Radeon HD 2000 Series are out.
http://ati.amd.com/developer/demos/rhd2000.html

Only video streaming and HD download for now, hopefully they'll put the EXEs later.

and. . . .

Yeah,ah. . .have one more :

Heavy Weapons Guy
ATi Webpage said:
Valve is pleased to announce that the next generation of facial animation technology for Source will be released in Team Fortress 2. By leveraging the rapid pace of advancement in PC graphics, videogames can now match and actually surpass the facial animation used in feature film and broadcast television production. We've released a video of this real-time, in-game, in-engine facial animation in action in support of AMD's launch of the ATI Radeon HD 2000 series. By running entirely on the GPU of the videocard, the facial animation not only looks dramatically better, but frees up the CPU to perform other tasks like physics or AI.

This technology is available to all Source engine licenses as well as MODs based on those games. For more information, please visit Steamgames.com
Click here to Download HD version (13.2Mb) :)

Btw:Not bad. . . :LOL:

so that any 360 to PC ports are likely to take advantage of it. I don't know that (m)any PC games will take advantage of it, but it will almost certainly see more use than Truform.

I'm aware of Only Viva Pinata using the tesselator of 360. I haven't heard of Rare or anyone working on a pc port for that. Which games do you suggest would use the feature?

Going over the fact that Gabe is involved in a hot case of passionate oral intercourse with ATi, and he`s not the one calling the shots, what are they doing WRT their facial animation system that`s undoable on other architectures, be they from nV, S3 or Intel?

Won't 360 porting effort depend more on the API than the hardware? Given that the tesselator isn't a standard part of DX10, how similar is the 360 API to whatever backdoor ATI is using for the R600? If they're sufficiently different then the underlying hardware may count for nothing.

Won't 360 porting effort depend more on the API than the hardware? Given that the tesselator isn't a standard part of DX10, how similar is the 360 API to whatever backdoor ATI is using for the R600? If they're sufficiently different then the underlying hardware may count for nothing.

Even if underlying hardware would count for nothing, if the API is making calls for the tesselator, not having one would still be no-go.

The facial animation there was probably the best I've seen in a game. Now we just need to see it on a character that's not cell shaded :)
Personally I found the style to be pretty funky - although it wasn't quite cell shading, but certainly they were going for a toon look.

I'm aware of Only Viva Pinata using the tesselator of 360.
We only began to scratch the surface and that one bubbled up, so if we looked harder we can probably find a number more. We are aware of some more in the pipeline that will be using that, but we obviously can't pre-announce others tech. Of note though, Lucasarts did talk of their "Next Gen Star Wars" title at GDCE which was demonstrated on a 360 and also features the use of tessellation.

Back