Production cost comparison PS3 - 360 Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Veteran
As blue-laser pick-up heads (PUHs) for use in the PlayStation 3 (PS3) are expected to increase in supply and decrease in price, the production cost of the game console could be reduced by as much as US$100, according to Taiwan-based makers of game consoles and components.

Sony Shiroishi Semiconductor, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony, on April 23 announced an expansion of its monthly production capacity of blue-violet laser diodes, a key component of HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) PUHs, to 1.7 million diodes as well as the beginning of volume production of 240mW (milliwatts) blue-violet laser diodes in November of 2007. This will greatly increase the supply of blue-laser PUHs at lower prices, the sources indicated, noting the reduction of costs could reach US$100.

Besides a potential drop in the production cost of the PS3, the production cost of the Xbox 360 Elite has dropped to US$323.30 based on latest estimates by research firm iSuppli.

ps3elitecompuh2.jpg

Digitimes

I just don´t understand why the harddrive of the PS3 is more expensive than the one in the 360. Does someone have any idea?
I wonder how acurate these figures are, the PS3 figures are very high, maybe they are old.

Digitimes said:
Optical disc drive/player 125
Reality said:
Blue-violet laser diode for BD player:
"SLD3131VF" (output 20mW, φ5.6mm) 900 Yen
"SLD3131VFI" (output 20mW, φ3.8mm) 1,000 Yen
Boing! Prices are for samples for anyone to buy and June shipments. If that's too late, there's a higher-powered type (for recorders) right now for 5000 Yen a pop=41.70 USD. That's 8.5 as strong as a ROM drive needs, so it's most definitely not the same cost to produce.

Completely does not compute. And 150$ "other components" vs zero, even after having already included "etc" in the first item? Wtf, Digitimes, wtf.

those "other components" are also expensive!

What are these?

This looks like a copy of that earlier comparison. There isn't even a correction for the Elite's harddrive - how is that 120gb one cheaper than the 60gb one for the PS3?

This looks like a copy of that earlier comparison. There isn't even a correction for the Elite's harddrive - how is that 120gb one cheaper than the 60gb one for the PS3?

Agreed. Doesn't make sense at all.

$20 for a Bluetooth chip and a WiFi module? What is this analyst smoking.

Bluetooth = dirt cheap, in almost every new mobile phone.
WiFi = I can buy a consume grade PCI card for $20.

After some further scrutiny, those figures definitely look flawed. Please lock. Sorry for posting this crap.

Digitimes the new Inquirer? :???:

iSupply is not very credible now that an MS guy said hw wouldn't be profitable so soon.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41086

He didn't say hardware wont be profitable soon. He said "the business" will turn a profit in 08. In fact since embedded devices lost 300m and only shipped 500k Xboxes, Hardware probably wasn't a large component of the losses 300m/500k =$600 per Xbox.

BTW, this is a old Isuppli comparison of 360 Premium (not Elite which didn't exist at that time) and PS3 digitimes has regurgitated for some reason..

And yeah it's pretty flawed, as has been pointed out, now, and then..

Last edited by a moderator:
iSuppli is not to be trusted in their breakdowns these days, and Digitimes further flawed the comparison by using those numbers as a springboard to their own analysis.

Hell, even the retail price of the 360 Elite - an arbitrary static figure - was marked down incorrectly here. As usual, key points of shock on my part when viewing those iSuppli cost figures for the PS3 include the 'chassis' cost of $60+ and the assembly costs of $40+..... I mean seriously, what are these guys smoking?

Anyway, I will lock as requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back