My first LCD monitor!

Reverend

Banned
I'd kept putting off upgrading from my old 19" CRT for a loong time and finally bought a ViewSonic VX2245wm 22" LCD (yeah, I fell for the iPOD dock). Although I knew there would be a vast improvement going fr a CRT to a LCD, having experienced LCD at work, I must admit almost all my games are new experiences.

Monitor performs great for the money (have to try hard to notice ghosting, small complaints about contrast) and looks great.

Anyone still on a CRT (and I know there must be plenty) and is considering upgrading your video card, you owe it to yourself to consider upgrading to a LCD first before a video card.

Anyone still on a CRT (and I know there must be plenty) and is considering upgrading your video card, you owe it to yourself to consider upgrading to a LCD first before a video card.
Been there a couple years ago. For me it was a degrade. I love the contrast, color and most importantly the resolution scalability of CRT. Color has gotten very good with the expensive models I've heard. SED is coming but resolution scalability is still an issue for me. Seems the future of displays are fixed pixel panels, I'm thinking of stocking up my garage with Trinitrons and Diamondtrons so when my CRT breaks down I'll have a nice backup stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an LCD and CRT. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have a 22" Gateway that uses the same panel and I am very happy with it. In many cases I very much perfer it over my old CRT and most I've ever seen. Reading text is much better and games have certain advantages as well as a whole, maybe that's my head but the end product is better... so why should I care.

Anyway, does that Viewsonic include HDCP? I was checking out one of the lower end Viewsonic's in the 22" range but they were lacking HDCP and did not have other features that made up for it. So I went with the Gateway that does have HDCP and includes PnP, Component inputs, S-Video, and has nifty touch controlls.

I gave up CRTs for the added benefits of weight, footprint and widescreen. Alas the loss of quality though, but I'll never go back.

My feelings mimic that of Malo's -- far smaller footprint, far less weight, far less power consumption (ie heat in my room) and widescreen to boot. The slight loss in visual fidelity under certain circumstances was an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

I have "only" a 2007WFP but I love it dearly. It also makes me wish for the 3007WFP model now ;)

Welcome to the 21st century Rev !

I'm an early adopter (2001), and I have to say, I'm happy about the evolution of this technology.
As soon as I got my screen I got used to it, no more headache when spending a whole long day in front of the screen.

I have to say I didn't notice too many problems with the screen even though the specs weren't great (compared to what's available now) but I didn't really care about the "free motion blur" ;)

Reading on a LCD screen is so much more painless compared to even HQ (iiyama) CRT screens...

I also am a resent adopter of and LCD screen. I went from and old Dell 15" with a supported maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 /maximum unsupported 1150 x 864. This CRT could only do 60hz refresh at these resolutions, and I used a VGA connector. Just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to a Samsung 226BW 22" 2ms Widescreen and its like night and day. I'm using it at its native resolution 1600 x 1050 with a unsupported refresh rate of 70hz, through nvidia's control panel, and now using digital DVI connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also am a resent adopter of and LCD screen. I went from and old Dell 15" with a supported maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 /maximum unsupported 1150 x 864. This CRT could only do 60hz refresh at these resolutions, and I used a VGA connector. Just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to a Samsung 226BW 22" 2ms Widescreen and its like night and day. I'm using it at its native resolution 1600 x 1050 with a unsupported refresh rate of 70hz, through nvidia's control panel, and now using digital DVI connector.
The best refresh rate is the native one for the resolution you're using. Because the actual refresh rate won't change, it only introduces tearing.

Yesterday I got my Samsung 226BW. I was on a Philips 17'' CRT from 2003 and before that on a 15'' CRT monitor. The difference is tremendous. Even the best CRT monitors I've seen (liyama Vision Master Pro 454 included) cannot compare with the feeling this LCD gives to me. :p

Wait till you join the dual monitor club. :)
dual.jpg
I used to have a triple monitor setup, but had to give up on it with such poor graphics card support.

epic

I went from a 17" trinitron to a dell 22". (same panal as yours as well)
Only things better about the monitor is the size, the aspect ratio and the resolution.
I prefer good blacks and accurate color over simple resolution and supposed better text, but it's not half bad.
If the monitor had good black levels I really wouldnt have too much to bitch about, but since I dont have a good tv I watch tv/movies on my pc so I care about multimedia performance, not just desktop quality.

I'm thinking of stocking up my garage with Trinitrons and Diamondtrons so when my CRT breaks down I'll have a nice backup stash.

Hah, been thinking about doing that myself, so far CRT is the nr1 choice for me. :D

Congrats Rev!

I finally stepped up today as well. Decided to replace my 19" Viewsonic with a 20" Dell. It might be a step down in IQ but I'm really tired of dealing with geometry configuration and refresh rate issues and the 4:3 resolution doesn't cut it any more. I've gotten used to my laptop LCD and I'm not gaming that much on my desktop these days anyway so hopefully it will be a nice upgrade. My 1900XT should be able to handle the 1680x1050 resolution well enough in the games I have installed - mostly old stuff.

Make sure you are running on DVI and enable proper cleartype (not the crt friendly blurtype)! Makes a world of difference :mrgreen:

We have just got dual 20" lcds each at work (it's fun when 10+ 20" lcds all arrive at once, everyone gets to have an unboxing party).
Having one on DVI and one on VGA made for a surprisingly noticeable difference.

I'm on a 19" samsung 191t LCD from 4 years ago and it's still quite a nice display. Slow in games, but otherwise the color and black level is quite nice. I've been thinking about upgrading to one of the 22" panels, but unfortunately they are all TN panels right now so the black levels (and color range) aren't as good as S-IPS or the PVA/MVA panels you can get in 20" sizes with the same resolution.

I think I'll probably just keep saving for one of the 24" displays. Dell had the 2407 for $569 the other day. :devilish:

Nite_Hawk

I think I'll probably just keep saving for one of the 24" displays. Dell had the 2407 for $569 the other day. :devilish:

Nite_Hawk
It think this year will see the push for LED back lit LCDs. If that happens they will seriously drop the prices on their current models.

epic

Back