What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still playing Portal. I just completed all of the Gold challenges for the Bonus Maps and also just beat the Portal: The Flash Version MapPack. I must say it's extremely high quality work, and comes very recommended. It's slightly more challenging than the normal Portal maps. It will also help fill in some story line if anyone was slightly confused. You can download it from here.

Its a great game, been at the X18 lab? That place is a "peaceful and calm place"... or so I was trying to say to myself... :LOL:

No Not yet, I have just met Barkeep and given him the stolen documents. He has asked me to steal another lot from a lab which requires two keys. That must be the X18 Lab you are talking about. Will be there soon ! I wasted a lot of my bullets and medikits on a bunch of Bandits just after coming out of the place where we steal the military documents.There were too many of them:cry:! I think I'll replay that section and see if I can save some medikits and ammo.

Can we buy ammo and medikits from Barkeep? If we can , it would be very nice as i am almost empty.

Also, they talk about joining Duty if you want. Is that part of the main storyline or If I join them will they send me on sidemissions ? Should I head straight to the labs or join them and they might send some buddies with me?

I have to check out the Arena too!!;)

Finished COD4. I am now debating whether I should get my Crysis on or install Stalker and get the crap scared out of me. I still am creeped out by the speed zombies in HL2!

No Not yet, I have just met Barkeep and given him the stolen documents. He has asked me to steal another lot from a lab which requires two keys. That must be the X18 Lab you are talking about. Will be there soon ! I wasted a lot of my bullets and medikits on a bunch of Bandits just after coming out of the place where we steal the military documents.There were too many of them:cry:! I think I'll replay that section and see if I can save some medikits and ammo.

Yeah bullets are worth their weight in gold, or so it feels!

Can we buy ammo and medikits from Barkeep? If we can , it would be very nice as i am almost empty.

Yes and I am sure he had some extra stuff regarding weapons for your pleasure!

Also, they talk about joining Duty if you want. Is that part of the main storyline or If I join them will they send me on sidemissions ? Should I head straight to the labs or join them and they might send some buddies with me?

Thats more like a side quest with several mini quests. Though I recommend visitng X18 lab first for some fun! ;)

Thats more like a side quest with several mini quests. Though I recommend visitng X18 lab first for some fun! ;)

Played it again, this time there were no bandits there :???: ! saved all the ammo. Then checked out the Arena too, just one plain mission, and then headed off to the X18 lab. Man, the lab was so confusing! I was running around the whole place avoiding the anamolies. Got my first NATO weapon but have no ammo for it still. One thing I couldn't understand though was that who or what kept throwing the drums and boxes at me? I tried to figure it out so that I could kill it but to no avail. I was just avoiding the falling drums all the time.The feeling of mystery and helplessness was strong, though my guns took care of everything. I did initially run around a lot trying to find the key before going to the lab. I kept killing bandits for a long time.Couldn't find the entrance to the tunnel.

This is only open world game that I have liked.The sense of purpose and the urgency is so strong, despite being an open world game.Part of it can be attributed to the hostile nature of the world. I am loving it and am not able to play any other game installed on my PC till I am through with it ;).
STALKER is really showing me that a sense of progression and purpose can be maintained while keeping an open world. I do not like GTA or Burnout paradise or any open world game for that matter for the very reason that I find no urgency or resolve to move towards a certain goal and even when I do, I find no sense of progression. I like to have a purpose in what I do and I do not find that in "Do what you want, when you want" kind of games, but STALKER maintains an open world, provides a believable and mission filled world and still succeeds in keeping me glued to my main story quest and urges me on( by putting time limits on missions, I guess) and the way the zone has been made is so mysterious that I feel compelled to survive in it.

My initial time in STALKER was tough but now I am a fan and will be eagerly waiting for the sequel!:cool:

Added some screenshots in the screeshots thread!

In some ways I think that works for STALKER because you're scared to go off the path. You can find some cool stuff if you do but is it worth ruining a pair of pants? Hehe.

Started playing Mass Effect again, now that they've put out the Bring Down the Sky content pack for the PC version.

The content pack is okay. It's somewhere inbetween one of the generic planet missions and one of the main storyline missions. Worth playing, but only if you're going to enjoy playing the rest of the game too.

WoW, still. I've come to realize part of my addiction leans heavily on the fact that there hasn't, in my opinion, been an enticing title for quite some time. At least not one that was worth playing for more than an hour. Therefore, enter mind numbing time waster. It seems every game I end up buying is either a huge disappointment or isn't nearly as fun as I pictured it being. Literally, I derive very little pleasure anymore from playing WoW, and it seems a lot of nights I log onto my main and just hover above cities on my mount, typically doing something else in the background. This then leads to my making countless alts just for an objective. One thing I envy about console gamers is it seems a lot of their up and coming games don't fade out into obscurity. Case in point: "Elveon". I recently googled this title to see where it was at in production. Apparently it's studio closed and the PC sector of the game was having a doubtful outlook. But the console crowd would still be enjoying it. Also "Project Offset" is apparently waiting for people to forget about it's existence entirely. Either that or they're waiting until their engine is no longer spectacular to prep them for a mediocre launch. I can't even think of any games on the horizon that I'm genuinely looking forward to. Maybe the PC launch of GTAIV, but I already bought the damn thing on 360. Maybe I can trade it in.

I just wish those "leaked Battlefield 3" notes weren't such a pot dream....

No game worth playing for more than an hour? I think your addiction runs deeper than you're willing to admit. The problem isn't that the games aren't worth playing, it is that they are not WoW.

No game worth playing for more than an hour? I think your addiction runs deeper than you're willing to admit.

Or maybe my standards are too high. I flat out said I was addicted to the game, I don't exactly know how much more I can confess. I think you're missing my point. I'm not looking for a complete WoW replacement, moreso I'm worried about the future of PC gaming.

You did admit you are addicted, then proceeded to blame it on all the other games for not being good, thus you only play WoW. I'm saying the problem isn't the games.

You did admit you are addicted, then proceeded to blame it on all the other games for not being good, thus you only play WoW. I'm saying the problem isn't the games.

Then what in your opinion is the problem? My original point wasn't intended to depict WoW's "ability" to trump any efforts I had to enjoy other games. It was more intended to convey how I felt a little abandoned when I read the news for "Elveon" which then cast me into bringing forth other examples of games I was looking forward to with similar stories, therefore I lean on it like a crutch because of how my foray into other games was a failure.

Ok well this discussion is probably beyond the scope of this thread but this is what I was getting at.

You have played WoW for a long time. You feel comfortable, and empowered while you play it. Playing WoW is "easy" for you because you spent so much time developing your skills and building up your knowledge. When you start playing a new game, you have to build that up all over again and it's not easy or comfortable. It is easy however to quickly go back to something you already know and understand.

I don't really know you personally so this is just my educated guess. I've been in this situation before and I'm sure many of us have as well. Have you tried Sins of a Solar Empire or Team Fortress 2? Those are both very fun & deep PC games that you could sink 100s of hours into.

Ok well this discussion is probably beyond the scope of this thread but this is what I was getting at.

You have played WoW for a long time. You feel comfortable, and empowered while you play it. Playing WoW is "easy" for you because you spent so much time developing your skills and building up your knowledge. When you start playing a new game, you have to build that up all over again and it's not easy or comfortable. It is easy however to quickly go back to something you already know and understand.

I don't really know you personally so this is just my educated guess. I've been in this situation before and I'm sure many of us have as well. Have you tried Sins of a Solar Empire or Team Fortress 2? Those are both very fun & deep PC games that you could sink 100s of hours into.
Personally, I'm willing to give virtually anything a shot, except sports or racing games. They're not exactly my forte. I've been looking for a reason to quit WoW for years now. I'm not saying there aren't occasional instances that improve the game play and add new content, but it's temporary. Then the tasks become dull and repetitive and I'm back to square one. I delved into TF2 for a while and I actually did enjoy it. I have a lot of withstanding issues, though, that I know have been addressed, I just haven't really considered getting back into it. Sins of a Solar Empire looked pretty good, and I hear a lot of great things about it, but I've always found myself more of a realism buff when it comes to an RTS. I loved Company of Heroes and the older C&C games. I don't see it as unreasonable to try SoaSE, due to the fact I'm gaining an interest in Starcraft 2. The last game I found sucking away a lot of my time was "The Witcher". I, to this day, enjoy it a lot, but my graphics card is acting as a slight barrier on my game play enjoyability.

So, I'll give SoaSE a shot and worm my way back into TF2 when they update the sniper.

I remember you posting a super awesome link of all these free space sim games somewhere. I cant find that post though for the life of me...I really wanna try them out one of these weekends.

I ordered GoW today for the PC. And good news everyone I am on the Highway 17 level albeit half way through me thinks! That means I got out of the nightmare that is Ravenholm! all in all its a lot of fun taking my time and going through it slowly.

I finally finished Half Life 2 episode 2. I always keep my harddrive defragged, but Steam did this thing where it did an "internal defrag" before I played. I'd never seen that before. Anyway, it improved the performance in the game so drastically that I was able to add some light AF and bump my resolution up one notch. I was pretty happy with that. Episode 2 was pretty cool. I was pleased, overall. There is a little bit of a worn out feeling though, like it really needs something new to spice it up.

Now I'm playing Mass Effect on my 360. Geometry Wars 2 in spurts. I really want to get Braid as well, and maybe even Castle Crashers, depending on reviews.

I finally finished Half Life 2 episode 2. I always keep my harddrive defragged, but Steam did this thing where it did an "internal defrag" before I played. I'd never seen that before. Anyway, it improved the performance in the game so drastically that I was able to add some light AF and bump my resolution up one notch. I was pretty happy with that. Episode 2 was pretty cool. I was pleased, overall. There is a little bit of a worn out feeling though, like it really needs something new to spice it up.

Now I'm playing Mass Effect on my 360. Geometry Wars 2 in spurts. I really want to get Braid as well, and maybe even Castle Crashers, depending on reviews.

Internal defrag? Care to spill any more details on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back