What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass Effect for the 360. I couldn't wait till May for the PC release, so I bought it on 360, and it was worth every penny. It's stunning down to the last detail. The most important aspect of this game, obviously, is the character interaction. The facial expressions and gestures are fluid and eerily human. Every smirk, look of shock or complete irritation is masterfully recreated. The environments, thus far, are beautiful. I just entered the Citadel, and the view from the sky bar is amazing. The world feels futuristic. A lot of future themed games feel so hack and cliché, that it detracts from the sense of realism. ME however, with it's extensive codex of back-story and explanations of weapons, items, races, etc, will cover any plot holes you're grasping to find. The biggest problem is how the game just THREW you into the action. There was no tutorial/training period. I mastered hitting every wrong button in combat for a brief period of time, until I eventually got the hang of it. But once I did, combat became a breeze. Bioware took out my two least favorite aspects of the KOTOR games and implemented them into ME: Turn based combat and having to constantly check in with your squad because Carth wasn't feeling happy. If your squad has something important to say, or their eye catches something, it doesn't turn into some epic cut scene: The just let you know.

I will be buying this on PC as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing No More Heroes (Wii), Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (Wii), Bioshock (PC). I really have to get back to finishing Bioshock, but I'm almost finished with Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

From now on, I don't play any new games until I finish the one I've started. I've bought too many games that I play half way through and then never finish because I move on to something else. I also have the latest Half Life episode, and I've only played thirty minutes of it. I was tryin' to carry that stupid gnome with me the whole time, but it was a pain. That's one achievement I may skip. Really, I'm amazed I haven't finished it. I preordered on Steam and unlocked as soon as it was available. Considering Half Life and Half Life 2 are two of my all-time favourite games, I never thought I wouldn't play it. Maybe the series has finally worn out for me?

I'm mostly with you on that Scott. Although Episode 2 is still amazing, it's amazing in all the same ways as Episode 1. You're still using the same weapons, to fight (mostly) the same enemies. The scenarios and design are just as good as they were in episode 1 but good in the same ways, so nothing surprises. It's still an excellent game, but the formula is wearing a bit thin for me. Maybe its just because I played the HL2 & EP1 like 4 times before EP2 was ever released, I dunno. I'm sure after episode 3 Valve will do a much needed reboot on the series, if they don't move onto something totally new. That would be cool too.

Thankfully Portal & Team Fortress 2 pay for the whole package 5 times over by themselves so it's hard to be too disappointed.

Mass Effect for the 360. <snip>

I'm still playing too. I'm on a third play with one character and I'm playing more or less to get the achievements. I've got a couple other characters going too, but I'll need at least one more to get all the biotic and tech achievements. So far I've racked up about 100 hours of game time.

You should really check out all the side quests. There are character specific ones and.. several that string together. Oh and you'll find that there's a specific side quest for each background story you chose for your Shepard. Some side quests have different dialogues because of your background. It's a game you should replay in different styles, if just to see the different dialogues and outcomes BioWare have created.

One aspect that I was glad they took out since KotOR was having to search each and every body after killing them :p You just automagically gain whatever they had, and the next time you head to the inventory, you can see what you want to keep or convert to omni gel. Still, the whole inventory management needs a redux, such as grouping by the item type (you'll see why late in the game when you try to manage 150 items) and a sorting filter.

i went back to Two Worlds. got lost in a city! anyway, still love this game. haven't finished. just picked up the 3rd artifact (of the 4). so i may even finish this game before i finish G3 or Oblivion.

also playing NOLF2 and Halo1.

Thinking of a Postal2 replay. been a couple years i think.

Thinking of a Postal2 replay. been a couple years i think.

My fat friend and I were also considering playing Postal 2 through again (typically we just fire it up every once in a while and go kill things in hilarious ways with the help of cheats. Cop eating a piece of shit mistakenly thinking it was a doughnut, then throwing up blood? Classic). Actually had a very interesting death occur last time he played... He managed to make someone eat a shit doughnut, cough up blood, then also spew up vomit becuase he pissed on him with that infected urine, then set him on fire, and THEN knocked his head off without killing him. The result? A headless burning body, crawling along on the ground simultaneously vomiting up blood and puke from a hole in his neck where his head used to be.

Didn't Apocalypse Weekend add co-op or something? That would be awesome. I know it's got multiplayer, or is that really the same thing in this case?

I've gone back to playing alot of good 'ol Battlefield 2 with it's early form self-shadowing and awesome 64 player brawls and also Counter Strike Source with it's lack of a modern lighting/shadowing system and hackers galore :p

Haha I had forgotten how much I loved BF2, I need to reinstall BF2142 and get back on that train :D

im finally playing mafia now (i got new disks around xmas to play, lost one of my originals). apparently i didn't get far in my first play, since im playing missions now, i don't remember. i think i spent more time in free ride the first time around. and the cops hassled me too much. or something.

i have 13 brand news games from '06/'07 left to play .. i got them all last month for $10 or less at GoGamer or Circuit City

i am currently playing Guild Wars SilverFall online [dial-up] and am nearly finished with FEAR's Extraction Point with Perseus Mandate on deck.

I've gone back to playing alot of good 'ol Battlefield 2 with it's early form self-shadowing and awesome 64 player brawls and also Counter Strike Source with it's lack of a modern lighting/shadowing system and hackers galore :p

Haha I had forgotten how much I loved BF2, I need to reinstall BF2142 and get back on that train :D

Ok, why isn't Counter-Strike 2 out already? Seriously. That's one cash cow that Valve should have jumped on a long time ago. Counter Strike Source was nice and everything, but seriously, that game is OLD. It was due for an update a long time ago. Now it has tons of competition from Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Battlefield and whatever else the kids are playing these days. Hopefully those devs are as brilliant as they were the first time around and CS2 will redefine online shooters again. Hopefully they aren't the innovator turned emulator, in a game of catchup after all those years on the sidelines.

I loved Battlefield 2 when it came out, despite the flaws. I thought some of the expansions kind of ruined it. Hopefully Battlefield 3 will blow my mind.

Right now I'm playing the same handful of games I've been playing since Christmas. I should probably stop rotating between them and actually finish something. I need to make room for Brawl and an Xbox360/PS3/PC upgrade.

im finally playing mafia now (i got new disks around xmas to play, lost one of my originals). apparently i didn't get far in my first play, since im playing missions now, i don't remember. i think i spent more time in free ride the first time around. and the cops hassled me too much. or something.

Mafia was a pretty crappy free-roam game. If you played through focusing on the missions and story, I thought it was pretty great. But if you wanted that GTA experience, it just wasn't there. The gun combat in Mafia is much better though.

Well playing BF2 and CS:Source a bit ever day(of course :p)

Taking a break from Lost Oddessey, will get back into it sometime. Um other than that I've gone back and checked out Far Cry for the original Xbox just see how that game compares to it's over versions on the PC and 360. Kinda impressive the game had full lighting/shadowing (albeit very blocky though), yet the PC version did not. However, the PC version has much superior textures, shaders, and polygonal models at max settings, plus much more expansive levels and draw distance. I just find the shadowing issue funny considering Crytek I think has talked about doing full shadows in Far Cry PC but if you go into CE Sandbox and enable shadows for individual objects, trees and vegetation most notably, the shadows are really blocky when you enable many objects for shadow mapping, even though your computer will get no slow down (assuming you have good graphics). I know it's weird, but the different versions of Far Cry use different and interesting ideas for compromising shadow/lighting technique, considering you have the PC version which possess no full shadowing what so ever in normal play, you have the Xbox/Xbox 360 versions with it, but a certain interesting solution for longer view distances, and Far Cry Vengence on Wii cutting out and gimping the shadowing/lighting system (as well as everything else *sigh*) and keeping a couple parts of it. I find it kinda fascinating thinking about the devs thought processes in doing this with Crytek on Far Cry PC, Crytek advising Ubisoft Montreal on Far Cry Instincts on Xbox, then Ubisoft Montreal by themselves with Far Cry Instincts Evolution on Xbox, Far Cry Instincts Predator on Xbox 360, and Far Cry Vengence on Wii.

Just finished Darkness Within: In Persuit of Loath Nolder (mystery/puzzle game, like myst)

Just purchased COD4 which im looking forward to, also AOE III + Warchiefs and Asian Dynasties since i realized i dont really have an RTS i'd like to play. Technically i still have C&C3 that i havent touched... tried a skirm back when i bought it and didnt last 10min for some reason.

Also have X3 and Psychonauts to mess around with that i purchased during the Christmas sale on Steam. Will also most likely add manhunt to that collection soon.

Will probably end up getting FEAR Platinum at some point just to catch up on the addons since i did enjoy the origonal but promptly sold it off. And my other pending purchase is Painkiller Overdose for some mindless FPS action, price has to be right though. In my opinion who ever was in charge of marketing did not think when they slapped a $40 price tag on that sucker.

I am playing Oblivion, it has gotten new life with mods and Iam really enjoying it. I also have for the first time in a game (lol) started as mage. It has always been my tune to swing the sword but not this time. ANd to tell I really enjoy it morethan sword swinging!

You know Mobius1iac, I never got blocky shadows in Far Cry by enabling more dynamic shadows, not even when enabled for grass. But then I played with 2048*2048 shadow resolution. There is though a limit to amount of dynamic shadows in a scen until adding more will take away some in another place.

But I am sure the xbox version has less dynamic shadows and quite a lot of pre-baked shadows, with darkening/shading. Then you has the PC version flexing it's 'muscles' with volumetric shadows (self-shadowing)! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am playing Oblivion, it has gotten new life with mods and Iam really enjoying it. I also have for the first time in a game (lol) started as mage. It has always been my tune to swing the sword but not this time. ANd to tell I really enjoy it morethan sword swinging!

You know Mobius1iac, I never got blocky shadows in Far Cry by enabling more dynamic shadows, not even when enabled for grass. But then I played with 2048*2048 shadow resolution. There is though a limit to amount of dynamic shadows in a scen until adding more will take away some in another place.

But I am sure the xbox version has less dynamic shadows and quite a lot of pre-baked shadows, with darkening/shading. Then you has the PC version flexing it's 'muscles' with volumetric shadows (self-shadowing)! :smile:

I did notice the enabled object limitations on shadows, I could tell everything in the area to allow it but sometimes it wouldn't anyways. The technique used in the Xbox version is really interesting. Close up the shadows are detailed and what not, and you can clearly see that they had to make compromises with it considering the Xbox isn't all to powerful versus a good PC. But back to the technique, the shadows close up are rendered like they should and everything in the scene is self shadowed too which is really impressive for an Xbox game I must say. Now about I would say 10 or so "virtual meters" away, the detail shadow fades (or fades in as you get closer) from a sort of dynamic-prebake shadow, but it's not baked into texture really, it's almost an overlay that's made to convert into detail once you get closer. It's really interesting, and it makes me wonder if Crytek or Ubisoft Montreal came up with it, cause if Crytek did (am I sure they did since they did technically advise the first Xbox Far Cry), I'm surprised they didn't try to patch Far Cry PC with the same technique or have the game use it in the first place.

But yeah I find Far Cry on Xbox to be really fascinating when studying the techniques they used to approximate some things and in some ideas be superior to the PC game, however the textures, the shader maps (especially the war) are drastically inferior. The Xbox 360 version actually does a decent job of patching these issues. The shadows are much less blocky, they look the same as if I was to enable the shadows on the PC version, but like I said the PC version even looks jaggy as well, which is ok. The textures are close to the PC version, along with the shaders, but of course the crown jewel of Far Cry 360 is the 3D water and it's shader. Their is a deep water shader available for PC Far Cry via a user mod, but it's not exactly easy to install :p so I have yet to see it in it's glory.

I finished playing Timeshift. Graphics are awesome and gameplay superb, cool weapons and stuff.

The last giant monster/machine is very well done with its visual effects. Cool game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back