Call of Duty 4: Modern combat trailer up

Can anyone with the game confirm whether or not this game uses "infinite enemies" to keep you pinned down?

I personally hate this tactic - I prefer to sit back, picking off baddies until each little section is safe, rather than "rush the invisible checkpoint" type strategy.

Well thats not really my intended statement/direction. I am aware of compression usage given the scenario.

If the game clocks in at 6 gig then one would wonder how comments of "scaling back" and "disk space requirements" may not apply to the scenario when there is room enough for 25% more data above what is currently being used. Although once again Im not sure if this is an official quantity for the data on the disk.

Supposedly it is like 6.8GB max on 360 games. I am not sure if this is true or why (previous posters theory actually sounds pretty reasonable) but, it would shoot holes in your theory.

Can anyone with the game confirm whether or not this game uses "infinite enemies" to keep you pinned down?

I personally hate this tactic - I prefer to sit back, picking off baddies until each little section is safe, rather than "rush the invisible checkpoint" type strategy.

According to what I've read of impressions, it does, though I cant personally confirm. And I agree, it sounds terrible. I would definitly not play this game on the high difficulty levels for that reason, as many seem to be frustrated with it.

I have only played 3 levels so far. The enemies spawned repeatedly (I won't say infinitely since I didn't wait forever :) ) if I don't claim the spawn points.

Currently, I prefer more "free style" FPS. But if the game is scripted, the designers can craft the exact experiences they want you to enjoy. I heard there is an impressive C130 level (with Saber cannon) later on, so I am looking forward to it.

Bought it. Played it. Not sure if it's my cup of tea. It's realistic for sure and has some great attention to detail, but at this point, I'm not really finding it all that fun to play. And I'm quite fed up because there is forced localisation in the German retail version - meaning there's no English dialog, no English subtitles and most likely cencorship going on as well.

Will take it back today or tomorrow. Meh. :/

Bought it. Played it. Not sure if it's my cup of tea. It's realistic for sure and has some great attention to detail, but at this point, I'm not really finding it all that fun to play. And I'm quite fed up because there is forced localisation in the German retail version - meaning there's no English dialog, no English subtitles and most likely cencorship going on as well.

Even on the PS3 version? That sucks. The 360 is really bringing the PS3 version down in that respect then. Hopefully they'll not do that next time.

Of my long list of potential buys, I caved for Eye of Judgment first, and think that'll last me a while, together with the just released Tekken Online module (which works great). I may give CoD4 a miss altogether, although in the Netherlands we probably get English dialog ...

Even on the PS3 version? That sucks. The 360 is really bringing the PS3 version down in that respect then. Hopefully they'll not do that next time.

Of my long list of potential buys, I caved for Eye of Judgment first, and think that'll last me a while, together with the just released Tekken Online module (which works great). I may give CoD4 a miss altogether, although in the Netherlands we probably get English dialog ...

Not sure about the X360 version, but cencorship is a more or less common problem in all German speaking regions. I could live with that, since it's mostly only less blood or in a different colour (though you can never be certain how far they'll go...). In past instances, GTA did it quite smart - set the game to German and the content was cencored (no blood I think and no prostitute fun in the car), set it to English and you got the whole lot. I was expecting something similar in CoD4 to be honest - all the games I've bought so far have been English from the get go since my PS3 is set to that default language - all but except CoD4. There's no option to switch the language, so I'll just have to assume the copy I have only has German dialog on it.

My german isn't a problem, but I just prefer to play my games in their native language and this is definately something that bugs me.

As for the game - I must say, I am very impressed by the 60fps. It's buttery smooth, just the way a FPS (or any game) should be. Resistance is smooth too, but the smoothness and responsiveness in aiming is just on another level.

On the other hand, I'm not all that impressed with the online play as of yet. Tried to get a private game started last night with a friend who bought CoD4 as well and it just didn't work. Everytime a error connecting to the host and I wasn't even able to invite him (error again). I was able to get a few games going by myself, but just couldn't get much fun out of it. :???:

Singleplayer is quite good and immersive (didn't play much though) and would be reason enough to keep it, if it offered a solid 15+ hour experience (like Resistance). After hearing it's more between 5 and 10 hours though and the language annoyance, I'm probably better off bringing it back and try to get hold of UK version. Or simply play some more at my friends place and see if I do get to like it eventually.

Graphics undoubtedly are nice and very much on the realistic side. A bit of shimmering, though nothing really disturbing or really noticable. Nice weather effects, gorgeous lighting etc.

Assuming...

How's R&C? The local demo only had Dutch voices. Same for HS.

I prefer the originals.

The HS demo I played allowed you to select 13 spoken languages in the demo, and 13 written languages, in any combination you like. So does the final game, which I bought. Not sure if I downloaded that from the Dutch store or from the US one though.

I don't have R&C yet ... I got the US demo for that one by the way. But it's ok, as long as the final disc based version allows you to select the languages.

That is lame, the default language (english in almost all cases) sounds better and fits better with the animations, lip-synchronisation. Even when it comes to software I'll chose english language over other languages just becouse it sounds better. :D

The HS demo I played allowed you to select 13 spoken languages in the demo, and 13 written languages, in any combination you like.

Right! Forgot about that.

Will probably pick that one up some time. To be honest I would do that for the music alone. :)

When I started the demo I recognised the style in a split second. Checked the credits to confirm my guess.

Sawhney's pretty good. Nice chap too...

I don't have R&C yet ... I got the US demo for that one by the way. But it's ok, as long as the final disc based version allows you to select the languages.

The american R&C demo was dubbed in probably several languages. You can't select it in-game but if you have the XMB in a language other than english (in my case, portuguese) odds are you'll hear localized voices (i did :) ).
In the case of the portuguese voice-over, there was a missing sentence during the intro though they probably corrected it for the euro demo.

I'm on the 7th mission in the first Act (there are 3 Acts), and I have not noticed infinitely respawning enemies. So far, it does seem possible to kill every one of them before you move on to the next check point if you wish.

Some texture comparison photos:

ps3vs360_10.jpg

ps3vs360_720p_test.jpg

Perhaps filtering, but the 360 version runs at 60fps from every review I've read.

Of course, they said the same thing about COD2....
Doesn't mean that it's steady though.

Some of the comparison videos that have been floating around show more stuttering in the 360 version than PS3 during the cutscenes.

Maybe Quaz51 will confirm at some point

Perhaps filtering, but the 360 version runs at 60fps from every review I've read.

Of course, they said the same thing about COD2....

yes it's 60fps locked framerate for the two version of course, i rather thought to slowdown frequency...

From that comparative image, the resolution seems bad on the PS3, but the overall effect (has seen on the 1st picture) is more realistic and "eye jumping" on ps3.

I couldn't discern much if any difference myself. :p I'm curious though, to what part of the video did you see that particular difference? I thought I might have seen a slight shadowing difference on someone's shoulder, like they were filtering differently, though I might have been imagining things. I'll see if I can't get a screengrab.

edit:

It was more obvious in motion, towards the end of the GT video while your character was in the car. The 360 version looked like it had more shadow map filtering. It was nothing significantly better, but there did seem to be some sort of filtering going on.

edit2: here's a more direct comparison of the shadows I mentioned. Click to see full size.

86srk3n.jpg

Back