Microsoft admits Vista failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albuquerque, it sounds like you like Vista primarily for its ease of mass distribution and management in a large IT setting. And from the standpoint of MS support being paramount. Not necessarily it's actual functionality as an OS.

As an OS used individually, it has an awful lot of quirks and controversial areas right now. Especially for gamers. There certainly are very few reasons for a consumer to jump on it right now, especially if purchased at retail as an "upgrade" where it is not exactly priced aggressively.

Seriously, the only real advantage I've found so far is with the built-in photo manipulation's new features. It is great for quick on the fly adjustment of photos we do at work. It couldn't be simpler than it is, and that is why it works. We work with hundreds per day and being able to tweak brightness/contrast without complex 3rd party software (that only I would really be capable of using) or taking the photos again is a major time saver.

The people using the Vista comp are not enthusiasts in any way. They think the sidebar is rather is gimmicky for the most part. The shiny UI and flippin' Windows isn't something that is going to convince them that it was worth the cash. They will never notice minor kernel tweaks, security features (other than the new nuisance), DX10, the fancy audio subsystem (WMP works just like before), or that the Core 2 Duo may be being utilized slightly better. I notice that 1 gig of RAM isn't really sufficient as the system will swap an awful lot with the number of apps we run at a time (just office stuff), but that XP MCE05 was working very smooth with this RAM amount and the same apps.

They can't say enough about the photo manipulation tho, that's for sure. The new hotness of the UI and MS's "get with it" sorta fad-like mind share I think has dulled the cash outlay that has so far only been proven valuable by a simple little photo app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albuquerque, it sounds like you like Vista primarily for its ease of mass distribution and management in a large IT setting. And from the standpoint of MS support being paramount. Not necessarily it's actual functionality as an OS.
I snipped the rest of your post because it all boils down to the same thing I've said to two other people in this very thread:

Just because you can't see it or touch it doesn't mean it's nonexistant or unimportant. "Minor" tweaks to the kernel don't begin to describe the things that have changed. Everyone continually points out memory usage, but if you have just a small search around the internet (or this very forum) you'd discover that Vista's OOTB true memory overhead is almost negligable compared to XP SP2 OOTB at about ~50mb increase over the latter. I'm sure you'll fire back with the "Hey, don't you ever look at task manager", to which I'll reply that if you only ever look at the bargraph, then you're misleading only yourself. Look for my name in this forum elsewhere for further details.

And once again, I'll point out there are 100 other things that Vista does 100x better than XP, and those 100 things aren't all directed only at business.

What's really funny about this thread?

One or two pages back, we have a staunch Vista naysayer claiming it's nothing more than a games and home OS. And now we have you claiming it has nothing for gaming or home users.

You guys need to get together and straighten out your stories...

Edit:
I will say this, in relation to the OP's topic title: Funny how MS just got done releasing their quarterly sales figures in light of this proclaimed "Vista failure". Did anyone catch it? If not, lemme give you a hint: record profits != major OS release failure. Just an FYI...

I will say this, in relation to the OP's topic title: Funny how MS just got done releasing their quarterly sales figures in light of this proclaimed "Vista failure". Did anyone catch it? If not, lemme give you a hint: record profits != major OS release failure. Just an FYI...
Ah, and I take it you have Microsoft shares as well?

Right but who or what does the reimage and makes sure they are upto date?
That is my point.

The user, using Ghost or DriveImage. The same image used since '96 or so, so this particular case doesn't require any support or anything. Of course, something like this is a rare exception.

Ah, and I take it you have Microsoft shares as well?

That's just classic, of course anyone who could possibly ever even think about "defending microsoft" has to have their shares or work for them, right? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back