Microsoft admits Vista failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPM

Regular
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39087

WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows MeII, is a joke that no one wants. It did two unprecedented things this week that frankly stunned us.

Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs. The second that Vista came out, Microsoft makes it very hard for you to sell anything other than MeII. It can't do this on the business side because it would be laughed out the door, but for the walking sheep class, well, you take what you are shovelled.

This is classic abusive monopoly behavior, Microsoft wrote the modern book on it. It pulled all the major OEMs in by twisting their arms with the usual methods, and they again all fell into line. Never before has anyone backpedalled on this, to do so would earn you the wrath of Microsoft.

But Dell just did. This means that MeII sales are at least as bad as we think, the software and driver situation is just as miserable, and Dell had no choice but to buck the trend. If anyone thinks this is an act of atonement for foisting such a steaming pile on us, think again, it doesn't care about the consumer.

The other equally monumental MeII failure? Gates in China launching a $3 version of bundled MeII. Why is this not altruism? Well, it goes back to piracy and how it helped enforce the MS monopoly. If you can easily pirate Windows, Linux has no price advantage, they both cost zero.

With MeII, Microsoft made it very hard to pirate. It is do-able, you can use the BIOS hack and probably a host of others, but the point is, it raised the bar enough so lots of people have to buy it. Want to bet that in a country with $100 average monthly salary, people aren't going to shell out $299 for MeII Broken Edition?

If there past articles didn't prove that site is "crap". Then this article should prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have no credibility.

I think the very biggest problem with Vista is price. Drivers will sort themselves out eventually, and corporates never want to spend the time and money to upgrade unless they have to, but right now the price is way, way too much for what you get.

It's a cost of £313 at Amazon UK, even after the 15 percent discount they are giving to try and shift it. That's about $630. At Amazon US, they are selling it for $358 or £180, but they are not allowed to ship to other regions.

An OS which basically gives you slightly better multitasking and memory management (which should have been in XP a long time ago), a whizzy GUI (yawn), and DX10 (where's the games?), application incompatability, DRM issues, and lack of drivers (have to buy new hardware much?) along with the requirement for upgraded hardware to run, for over $600.

Sure, you can buy the cheaper, cut down versions, but why bother upgrading at all if you're not going to get the new features? And those versions are still priced excessively compared to the US equivalents for no good reason other than to gouge the customers.

For a lot of people (myself included) Vista just costs too much and gives too little. It's simply not an attractive product that I am willing to purchase at those kinds of ridiculous prices.

Perhaps. Except for the lower general performance higher memory use and extremely obnoxiously intrusive digital rights management shit it incorporates.

Peace.

Performance is the same for me in Vista as it was in XP. In fact the interface feels smoother and faster to me.

Performance is the same for me in Vista as it was in XP. In fact the interface feels smoother and faster to me.

I'd say some OS features feel snappier in Vista on the g/f's pc, but memory usage and game performance are definitely worse, plus it's a memor hog and we've already had a ton of software incompatibilities -- the only feature we're both really sold on is that waterfall the cards do in FreeCell. ;)

Charlie has made it emminently clear in the past few years that he has major issues with Vista, and frankly in many ways he's got a point. Though being Charlie it's all turned up to eleven. That doesn't mean he's wrong, just that some opinions mutate into facts.

It's easy to sit here and say "it's a great OS, I've got no issues on my PC", but if DELL are forced in to conceding that XP ain't dead yet then maybe there really are problems with Vista (beyond usual I-hate-NVIDIA stuff). Maybe you use fewer PCs than Dell ship in a couple of months.

Oh and snappier performance and memory hogging could be the two sides of the same coin, maybe?

Performance is the same for me in Vista as it was in XP.
Ever ytest or review I've seen of new games and hardware games run slower under vista than on XP.

I read somewhere this is (at least partly)because the DRM shit is constantyl sitting in the background scanning the hardware like 30 times per second so that new "unauthorized" peripherals aren't added that could tap invaluable intellectual property from the system and ruin our friendly neighborhood multinational entertainment conglomerates..

Peace.

Im happy to wait until SP1 comes out. Then I will re-evaluate it. Otherwise, I see myself waiting to use the the OS, after vista.

Vista is fine as a home and gaming OS. The main problem for Microsoft for Vista is that businesses don't want it. In the US for example the several government departments, schools and private businesses have placed a ban on aquisition of Vista. This is the problem for Dell. In an attempt to force through Vista, Microsoft has announced recently that they will be ending OEM sales of XP in early 2008. Microsoft usually waits about 3 years after intorduction of a new OS before phasing out it's predecessor. To do in one year of introduction, is an indication that Microsoft is having problems getting people to adopt the new OS.

Well, as a gamers os, some games are already as fast as XP, so it will be allright at the time I think, but I don't see much advantages from my point of view yet. I just bought it because I cann't live without earo gfx :D

Ever ytest or review I've seen of new games and hardware games run slower under vista than on XP.

I read somewhere this is (at least partly)because the DRM shit is constantyl sitting in the background scanning the hardware like 30 times per second so that new "unauthorized" peripherals aren't added that could tap invaluable intellectual property from the system and ruin our friendly neighborhood multinational entertainment conglomerates..

Peace.

You clearly have not used Vista, eh?

1.) The responsive action from my computer is the best it has ever been. I've used the same exact computer on XP, Vista, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc.

2.) I've yet to personally run into a compatibility issue. I do not use any ancient software however on my computer as I tend to dump unsupported software very quickly.

3.) It does what I need it to do and it does it quicker and with more ease. After about a month's use of Vista I am just as, if not more, proficient in handling OS related tasks than I ever was in XP.

4.) My gaming experience has been solid. As drivers have came out in the last few months it is easily on par with XP in the games I play. I've yet to run into a game issue with Vista.

Frankly if you have not used it then you have no clue. I have used Vista for a few months now, XP for years, Linux in workstation and server environments. To be frank Vista is the best desktop OS that I've ever used. It installed the quickest, it worked with all my hardware right away, it did not require me to spend hours on another computer to simply get my NIC to work.

Is it new? No not really. Vista is simply a refinement of Windows. It fixes a large number of issues that XP had, while it does use more memory I can't help but say "why should I care?" as its memory usage has in no way negatively effected my experience in use.

While my experience is in no way representative of anything. I will say there could be a large number of reasons why Dell started including XP as an option again. One is that people simply do not like change. On a daily basis I deal with the end user more than anyone should have to, I know that they do not like change. To be frank there are people who just upgraded to XP less than a year ago because they didn't want to change, they worry of the new. Same issue here in a number of cases. They could have real issues, but saying its only because of one reason it looking at it with a negative outlook from the get go.

One important thing. In gaming I experience less stuttering, as most unnecessary programs appear to be stopping at once.

I think Vista will be there after a few comp issues soon.

XP wins over Vista anytime.
I've been using Vista since around a year, tried 32bit, 64bit, even bought 64bit, and I wouldn't say it's great.
Fair would be a much better description, it offer very little over XP from a user perspective, except arbitrary features such as DX10 (no doubt to promote it), and Aero Glass (completely useless gadget).

Really except if you're a tech junky, there's no point in getting Vista, besides maybe the 64bit support, and even then, you'll suffer from lower 32bit apps performance (especially noticable in games).

Vista isn't the next big thing, it's a marginal improvement over XP. (And at a big disk & RAM space cost)

(Everything IMO of course)

Vista could be a technical triumph and a marketing failure of course. Or a technical failure and a marketing triumph. One has to specify what one is arguing about when saying it's a failure, otherwise this could go on forever :) From the MS point-of-view a marketing failure would be the real problem.

:oops:

Yeah, and I'm from Mars. Vista is the biggest POS ever even without all the abusive parts.

I'd have to disagree with that one. Installed 64-bit Vista Home Premium on my new computer, and its been working flawlessly from the start without any issues. I did obviously make sure all hardware i got did have whql 64-bit drivers first though.

Are there some 32-bit applications that doesnt work like they should, yes sure, but from what it looks like, its all software that try to access assorted hardware... like the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool thing.

Played several games (mostly MMO's though) but havent had any major issues, nor have i had any problems watching assorted movies on it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back