What does the Wii use for storage and anti-piracy anyway?

I remember people made a big deal over the GC's storage medium back in the day. Some people griped about the 1.5GB, and Nintendo boosting about anti-piracy. For the Wii, I didn't hear a single thing about it. People just assumed the Wii uses DVDs, but does it? DVDs have long been cracked and we know how careful Nintendo is when it comes to anti-piracy. I would assume one day, their game systems would come with a little midget that pops out of the system to kill you if you were caught playing bootlegged games. If they are DVDs, is there anything special about them? I think I've heard news about people in China already bootlegging the system's games (the system that's the easiest to bootleg wins in China). If it does use DVDs, can the Wii use dual-layer DVDs?

The protection system on the Wii is/was basically the same as on the GameCube. The only difference is instead of using symetrical keys, it uses asymetrical keys for the digital signing. The Wii was cracked exactly the same way as the GameCube was.

I know the Wii, like the 360, is cracked and people play "backups" on it. From talk on certain forums.

AFAIK only the PS3 isn't (yet).

The Wii was cracked exactly the same way as the GameCube was.

The GC's been cracked? Are you sure? As far as I can tell, the only way to crack the GC is to have Phantasy Star Online, the broadband modem, and some other junk.

I was trying to find out how to dump my GC's discs cause I was too cheap to buy a video capture card, but I found out what a pain in the butt it was to dump the GC discs so I never bothered.

Yes. The GC has been cracked. You place a mod-chip (microPic with firmware) on the unit and it allows it to load any software. This is the same way for the Wii.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for Gamecube ModChip.

Here's the only video you need to watch to understand all the security implications of the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii, from the ideo Game Console Conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, From what I understand so far homebrew Wii code cannot be run. Homebrew GC code CAN run on the Wii... as well as 'backups' (both GC and Wii)

MoH

They should make a regionfree chip only. I'm already getting sick of nintendo releasing games in PAL moths after the NTSC version. All because of annoing germans and french not wanting to play games in english, I have to wait months for a game wich doesnt even include a language option for my country (not that I want one).

o_O?;;;; as in... wtf?

I wanted to take screen shot from the game. I wanted to piece together maps to make a huge map for a game. I figured it would be easier if I could emulate GC, dump my disc and play it via emu. Speed wasn't an issue since all I want is to take pictures.

The Wii discs are DVD-shaped and surely Nintendo uses DVD physical replication tech for sheer economies of scale but I have so far not been able to read anything off these discs on my PCs (Matshita and LiteOn/Benq drives). There's something in the formatting of these discs that confuses the hell out of PC drives.

Doesn't the motor spin the other way on GC (and Wii) discs? Try swapping over the wires to the DVD drive motor ;)

Doesn't the motor spin the other way on GC (and Wii) discs? Try swapping over the wires to the DVD drive motor ;)
I heard that being said about the GC drive a few times, but I'm really not sure if that's the problem here. In any case I'm not willing to modify my drives, firmware or otherwise. I was just being curious.

Doesn't the motor spin the other way on GC (and Wii) discs?
No it doesn't.. I popped the lid on my GC a couple times while playing and it spins the normal way. Clockwise IIRC.

Strange coz it seems to be a pretty simple and efffective piracy deterrant. Maybe the increase in production costs weren't deemed worth the bother.
Peace.

I wanted to take screen shot from the game. I wanted to piece together maps to make a huge map for a game. I figured it would be easier if I could emulate GC, dump my disc and play it via emu. Speed wasn't an issue since all I want is to take pictures.

Ahh. Now i understand -- i was confused since GC emulation is pretty miserable... ;)

It would be weird if it couldn't. Since gamecube discs are dual layer.. Or I assume they are or else I don't know how they'd get to that capacity level.

Peace.

Yeah, I honestly don't know where you heard that GC discs are dual layered, Rainbow Man. I think you're confused with the Dreamcast's dual layer CDs.

Back