Kojima Jumps In: MGS4 Coming to the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. But he edited that before this translation for example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13219671&postcount=247

Who knows if the translation is correct. But

http://www.gamefront.de/ (the site which had the japanese Yahoo! page http://charge.biz.yahoo.co.jp/vip/news/kab/081014/081014_mbiz215.html as news) is claiming a very similar translation.

So who knows. Maybe someone over here is able to translate the important parts correctly if it isn't already translated correctly.
Interesting, but it seems I'm a bit late for this one. The outsourced article at Yahoo Japan was already updated and the reference to MGS4 is gone. Instead it mentions PES 2009 and Castlevania.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but it seems I'm a bit late for this one. The outsourced article at Yahoo Japan was already updated and the reference to MGS4 is gone. Instead it mentions PES 2009 and Castlevania.

Supposing you know the japanese language and you wanted to translate it?

This IGN news links to another source which had the japanese report, too (not the japanese Yahoo! page mentioned before):

The original Morningstar report can be found here.

But on Morningstar (http://www3.morningstar.co.jp/portal/RncNewsDetailAction.do?rncNo=24577) it seems it's not only edited like on the japanese Yahoo! page, but even completely deleted.

It was still there some hours ago :eek:.

Evidence annihilation? :D:p:eek:;)

3M+ sales of late port is rather impossible. As other people noted conversion rarely do all that well.

It really depends on the game. Look at past sales of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, the main ones in the series, not ones that were just "upgrades". Metal Gear Solid was a big upgrade from previous games, and it sold about 7 million on the PS1. Metal Gear Solid 2 was the next big upgrade, and also sold about 7 million on the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 4 is another big upgrade and yet it sold only 3 million on PS3, even though the video game playing audience has expanded since then. That is a massive drop in sales.

Two things can be taken from this. Either millions of people suddenly got bored of the Metal Gear Franchise, or millions still really want to play it but can't afford the $500 cost of entry (PS3 + game + tax). Now, what would happen if it was suddenly playable on a $200 console? I would say 2 million more sales easy, and I think 3 million is not out of the realm of possibility. There are many out there still really wanting to play the game, but few in their right minds will spend $500 to play it.

I;m pretty sure Konami execs regret not going multiplatform with MGS4. They probably look at sales of multiplatform titles like COD4, AC and compare them to those of MGS4 and realize their game had press coverage/critical acclaim/advertising at least extensive/good/big, so it had potential to achieve so much more with multiplatform release.

Yup, that was a huge blunder that cost them a small fortune. But it's not a mistake they will make again.

It really depends on the game. Look at past sales of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, the main ones in the series, not ones that were just "upgrades". Metal Gear Solid was a big upgrade from previous games, and it sold about 7 million on the PS1. Metal Gear Solid 2 was the next big upgrade, and also sold about 7 million on the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 4 is another big upgrade and yet it sold only 3 million on PS3, even though the video game playing audience has expanded since then. That is a massive drop in sales.

Well, there is that. The japanese aren't too interested in HD consoles, so they're not really carrying their weight, in that sense. Also, MGS3 isn't a big upgrade, but it only sold 3.6 million, and it's probably the best game in the series, story-wise. I'd say that right now that's a better image of what the MGS fanbase really is -- I suspect MGS2 rode heavily on the force of its own hype, and its own crazy story actually hurt the franchise.

How much time did it take for the previews games to reach 7 million in sales?

I don't know off hand, but cost of entry is a big determining factor in that. PS1 and PS2 launched cheaper and dominated in their time, PS3 did not. Ultimately, the potential audience for a Metal Gear title bound to the PS3 will always be smaller than was it was back in the heyday. Worded another way, there are piles of people out there that will now pass on this franchise simply because it's not available on their machine of choice.

Compounding the problem is that there is no cost relief in sight. Konami and many other publishers are pissed that there is a still a $400 cost of entry on the PS3. Maybe that's fine for Sony, but it's not fine for companies like Konami that have to watch their AAA exclusive game sales drag on for ages, missing out any built up hype and giving time for competing games to eclipse it. Plus, Konami can only wait so long for Sony to drop price, at some point they have to release MGS5 which puts a cap on how long they can wait for MGS4 sales to peak.

Or, they can just support the $200 console and cash in.

Joker454, you thinking of actuals 200$'s PS2 owners (they're a lot) who don't care of mark of the console, but more on ticket price and games?
In this optic, I agree with you a 360's MGS4 port can probably reach more than one million and also sell the same numbers of 360, due to the fact that games awaited by this 200$'s console buyers arrived also on 360… ex:FF13 and they can acces at many other high hypes games…
Sony really need to be aggressive on price.
But for the 360 based oriented audience I don't thinking MGS4 made greats sells.

Metal Gear Solid was a big upgrade from previous games, and it sold about 7 million on the PS1. Metal Gear Solid 2 was the next big upgrade, and also sold about 7 million on the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 4 is another big upgrade and yet it sold only 3 million on PS3

IMO, it's unfair to compare the final numbers of the previous MGS games that includes the updated versions (such as substances) with the initial shipment number of MGS4.

They are erasing evidences, as user already pointed out.

99% of games should be multiplatform. I dislike favoritism (regarding development), it's very demotivating.

3rd parties developers should have the same software and knowledgement as 1st party developers, so they can harness the hardware's potential.

I mean, people like nAo or joker454, for instance, should have access to all the available info and the best development software. They have different ways of thinking but this could be avoided if they knew more about the "other" machine.

That's to say, people don't always stay the same even though in essence they never change in some regards.

I think it is important to remember that on the Xbox you had, at least the perception, of MGS/Splinter Cell overlap. With SC taking a new direction MGS would appeal to longtime SC fans missing out on the stealth action genre.
I played only the first SC but it looks to me that MGS4 is less stealthy than SC4 (in other words: there's greater emphasis on shooting and due to the balance shooting is sometimes easier).

What I find annoying is that hopes from the 360 side are mostly about seeing MGS4 not being a PS3 exclusive anymore, than having the chance to play the game. (...) Especially when you start seeing PS3 forums being infested with 360 owners. After this its natural that you will expect an exaggerated "defensive attitude" from the other side.
I love this spin! :LOL: I understand that fanboism works both ways, really. But I fail to recall any petitions to keep Bioshock 360-exclusive. Yet I've seen reports of such when DMC became multiplatform. There are cases of offensive actions from both sides of the fence but what you're saying is unfortunately biased spin. Not that I'm surprised though. :eek:

lol at this spin! The PS3 doesn't get a port of a game and people come out of no where screaming money hats and how dumb developers ignoring the PS3 for even a few hundred thousand unit sales. Yet they turn around and dismiss MGS4's sales of atleast 1 mil 360. Even show spite at the thought. Tools or trolls. Hard to determine which one some are...

lol at this spin! The PS3 doesn't get a port of a game and people come out of no where screaming money hats and how dumb developers ignoring the PS3 for even a few hundred thousand unit sales. Yet they turn around and dismiss MGS4's sales of atleast 1 mil 360. Even show spite at the thought. Tools or trolls. Hard to determine which one some are...
I guess people are nervous because Alan Wake's trailer is coming out today

I love this spin! :LOL: I understand that fanboism works both ways, really. But I fail to recall any petitions to keep Bioshock 360-exclusive. Yet I've seen reports of such when DMC became multiplatform. There are cases of offensive actions from both sides of the fence but what you're saying is unfortunately biased spin. Not that I'm surprised though. :eek:

I am not familiar with petitions. I never participated in any. Care to elaborate what do you mean with this though?

"There are cases of offensive actions from both sides of the fence but what you're saying is unfortunately biased spin. Not that I'm surprised though. :eek:"

:rolleyes:

I think it'd be worth it for Konami, no doubt, if they can get past the whole per-disc royalties thing (if true). A couple of million is pretty optimistic. More likely than 3, no doubt, but for anything other than a launch this holiday season I don't think we'd see more than 1 million sales. Still a good amount.

Why. The xbox 360 historicaly had very slow first quarter release lists. So a MGS4 in say febuary or march with some additional content would sell very very well.

I personaly can't stand the game (i played some of it on the ps4) but i'm sure at that time of the year and the pack mentality of the 360 users it could easily sell 2m . Perhaps even get close to 3 million. Like I said though how much does it cost to port. the engine is built and the assets are done. So I'd say what 1m at the high end of the port cost . 1m with a $15 take per sale would give them another 15m bucks. 2m would give them 30m and 3 m would give them 45m . I don't see how anyone can think its not a smart move to port the game. Whats more they can create dlc for both systems ready at the time of the 360 port and advertise it on both systems and have a sort of mini relaunch for the ps3.

I think it could sell pretty big to all the 360 owners who dont have it, it was such an event release for PS3. And it has such staggering production values.

Why. The xbox 360 historicaly had very slow first quarter release lists. So a MGS4 in say febuary or march with some additional content would sell very very well.

They're slow first quarter releases, but there's usually a reason for that: people aren't buying that many games early in the first quarter, they're busy working off credit card debt from the holidays. 1 million is selling very well for a year-late release. And I think it'd do worse because I think the real hardcore fans already bought the game, and MGS mostly caters to those people (4 is just awesome with the fanservice). Even people who were just carried on by the hype bought a PS3 for the game (and were often disappointed). I think that the MGS fanbase really isn't much bigger than a few million.

One thing no one but me has addressed about is the per-disc royalty. Doesn't MS (and Sony) charge like $5 per disc? Would MS be willing to waive that royalty in exchange for getting a year-late port?

Holy shit - are we talking about this again?

If a port comes out - it'll be another terrible port - I can point back, AGAIN, to the MGS2:Substance disc for xb1 as an example of why this shouldn't happen

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back