The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, it appears matey can't use LBP any more. It must lock to PS3 console somehow.

My experience was short-lived, but I learnt a lot. And a feature that this game NEEDS is scanning a design by camera to create an object. The drawing tools are pretty manky. Movement of a block is locked to its X and Y vectors. Actually drawing an outline is flippin' tricky! The technology exists to draw an outline, scan it in, and create a profile. This is essential for opening up the game to more creators. I can't see the average 7 year old wanting to draw their pet dog getting very far without such tech, but with it, it'll be usable by everyone no matter what their artistic ability, and a darned sight faster for everyone to boot.

No it isn't locked like that. Only the Square is locked to X and Y to help you draw with 90 degree angles. Use a circle if you want wavy shapes...not locked in any way (which obv makes it harder to do right angles :) )

Oh, okay. Still, it's tricky and can easily be improved upon, with a little addition to the existing tech.

The idea of a rocket-launcher isn't as straight-forward as it sounds. I've just been trying to get a lead attached to a 'dog' on castors. Turns out a minimum size of grabbable material is needed, which is quite a lump. Actually it must be a minimum mass? A broad, thin sheet of polysterene was grabbable from all positions. Still, little handles don't appeat to be an option, unless cylinders are less grabbable than cuboids? And objects like that are generally unwieldy it appears. Also attaching the polystyrene handle to some string, it's as though the string attachment added considerable weight. It was no longer possible to jump around with the polystyrene. I could jump up, but trying to jump left or right just failed, and the handle was dragged along the floor. I'm not convinced a weapon could be built that was 'shoulder mounted' or head mounted or held in front of SB. It'd have to be something substantial moved along the floor, like a mini-cannon.

That doesn't appear to be the case. I just logged on with my friend's account and he could play LBP just fine. How would it know? Unless the download is personalised for user account, there's no way the beta could know who's copy I'm running.

Hmm... that's odd. I get locked out from time to time. If it's a general server issue, I should see more complains. A few times, the lock-out lasted for a day.

EDIT:
Okay, it appears matey can't use LBP any more. It must lock to PS3 console somehow.

Oh... :)

BTW Deep : I looked up typing a message but it was too much trouble! The voice chat appeared to work, unless that other player was psychic or by coincidence his phone was going too! I couldn't see any lipsync on me though. When I first started the game, my Sackboy was talking with Stephen Fry's voice, as the camera was picking up the TV audio and SB sync'd to it!

Yes, lip-sync works. It's rather cute to see a sad-faced SackBoy lip-synced to a human voice (My partner, some kid, was saying, "I can't do it !").

And a feature that this game NEEDS is scanning a design by camera to create an object.

Ding ! Ding ! Ding !

Does LBP work with your tablet ? I wanted to try with my mouse but figured they probably don't allow it to be fair.

I also think that they should just replace Home with LBP. It's too cute and too advanced to be just a game. User generated content is already part of the LBP world too !

You guy's ever just sit around, thinking of how you can join together strings, rods, connecters, rockets, emitters, etc...and make new objects? It seems to be all I can think about...

tha_con, it might mean you have the brain of a 7-year-old: :devilish:
http://kotaku.com/5057652/three-developers-explain-littlebigplanet-level-design-to-a-7+year+old
(Okay, kidding)

Tristan has become a indie developer and he doesn't even realize it. He spends hours sitting in front of the television adding to his level, figuring out ways to torture gamers, defending his creation.

My 3 year old loves to watch us play LBP and fool around with the tools. When we play, he'd move his hands in mid-air as if he's the one doing stuff. Sometimes, he'd snatch the controller from our hands ("Let me do it !"). He is the one who painted and customized my SackBoy. He also taught my wife about the possibility and rules of the game. Cute. ;-)

Does LBP work with your tablet ?
My tablet doesn't appear to work with PS3. It's an old Wacom and the XMB didn't pick it up, whereas the guy saying tablet's were supported showed his new Wacom pluggin traight in and running. Still, I highly, highly doubt mouse control is in and we haven't heard head nor tail of it, and it'd be a big feature to toot. But I don't think that's the way forward. Drawing with a mouse is still tough. If MM are going to add a feature, object profiles from scans are the ideal solution. They have picture grabbing already, and I'm sure someone at SCEE or wherever creating PSEye tech demos of tanks etc. has a function pretty much ready to go. Beta-testers the world over need to plague the beta forums with requests and polls to make it happen!

i make an "electronic" 8bit calculator (not "mechanical" calculator). it can do Add and Sub. this calculator use:
650 magnetic switches
550 Wires
470 pistons

my PSN: Upsilandre

youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRgYBHoAoU

LBPcomputer2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty silly really, u can get as many codes as you like as long as you sign up 4 a new account each time. I just managed to get two, one for me and another for a friend i know wants one. Would sign up some more for people on here that mite miss the chance but ive gotta head out :cry:

UPDATE: All gone, that was quik! Owe you big time Cornsnake!

Last edited by a moderator:
i make an "electronic" 8bit calculator (not "mechanical" calculator). it can do Add and Sub. this calculator use:
650 magnetic switches
550 Wires
470 pistons

level name: Little Big Computer

youtube video

If that isnt proof that some truly amazing levels are on the way i dont know what is! There are alreads some truly clever, talented and above all dedicated people at work already and its only a limited beta.

Quaz, you have just solidified my belief that LBP is going to be the greatest thing ever!!

Its pretty silly really, u can get as many codes as you like as long as you sign up 4 a new account each time. I just managed to get two, one for me and another for a friend i know wants one. Would sign up some more for people on here that mite miss the chance but ive gotta head out :cry:

UPDATE: All gone, that was quik! Owe you big time Cornsnake!

Wow, that was quick! But I managed to get one, I thought I remembered I still had an account and I did, and it worked right away. Not that I need one, but I thought I'd get Shifty one, particularly as these seem to be EU codes, and I think I succeeded. So if you haven't yet, check your PM Shifty. ;)

And Quaz, that is absolutely amazing! Though I'm thinking maybe some optimisations are possible? Hopefully! :D I'm thinking that maybe the type of switches used in the World of Color level may just be efficient enough for this ...

650 magnetic switches
550 Wires
470 pistons

level name: Little Big Computer

youtube video

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/LBPcomputer2.jpg

Jeebus ! It's back to Computer Science foundation. How long did it take you to do ?

IGN has yet another list of recommended beta levels:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/915/915806p1.html

That mechanical adder is genius Quaz! I wish I thought of it first.

Can you explain what each of those reusable shapes are? Logic gates? Buffers? It's hard to make out the logic from the you tube video?

Quaz51 has reduced the resources needed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13107715&postcount=5315

i count key magnetic switches (key is not wired)
and after the video i removed one useless element
now is:
- 610 magnetic switches (key include)
- 500 wires
- 430 pistons
- 70 emitters
and others stuff...

Also for those who pre-ordered from GameStop, we'll get more than Krato's costumes.
The extras will include the Medusa costume, the Minotaur costume and a God of War level. :cool:
These things should be giftable though. So I should be able to give it out like how Jayden gave deepbrown and me his peacock feathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back