Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yep, that ugly pricing rumors make sense..

Wait.... for $80, I'm getting an HDMI output (if I care) another 100GB in HDD space over the current $399 model and I get it in limited production black?

how is that ugly compared to their current pricing structure? :smile:

I assume that price will drop accordingly with the other sku in time. Perhaps they are just not ready to drop the prices at all until September? Why would they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait.... for $80, I'm getting an HDMI output (if I care) another 100GB in HDD space over the current $399 model and I get it in limited production black?

I assume that price will drop accordingly with the other sku in time. Perhaps they are just not ready to drop the prices at all until September? Why would they?

More ugly is 179.99 for the 120 GB..

But like I said, it almost has to be..

From those requests for HDMI vs Component imames, i did managed to find the link. i can't post images here though.

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/...=117413&find=subject&ftext=hdmi&left=b&time=0

the first image is component, then followed by HDMI pic. then comes another component image in different scenes and so on. :devilish:

As you could see on 7th and 8th image, HDMI is ghost free, whilst if you see fist and "N" letter on component picture, apparently there is ghosting

And the writer did say that he felt the tv was less optimised for component if you know what i mean. He also said the letters on hdmi pics did look sharper and clearer by the way.

i am not sure whether he did calibration stuff :LOL:

it might not be fair test, but might help some people here

;)

If I am MS the price drop would be in may a week before forza 2 hits the shelves. IMO it would be a perfect time to drop the price since that is the start of the big onslaught of 1 big name game ever month till end of year. A price cut would be a great way to kick it all off. This christmass MS has the chance to put enough distance between themselves and sony for a long long time in NA if they drop the price right.

More ugly is 179.99 for the 120 GB..

But like I said, it almost has to be..

well 20 gig at $99 (current price) and 120 gig at $179 is also $80 so again, in their current structure, that makes sense. Although I'm hoping for $129 with a drop on the 20gig to $79 :)

eventually they will/should all come down in concert.

yes... they are all ugly prices but not out of the norm of the current structure. I look forward to the price drops so the peripherals (most specifically the 120GB HDD ;)) come down as I want one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

You are also getting the 65nm version of Xenon. None of this has been confirmed, but I bet it will be there. Here is the press release from chartered semi http://www.charteredsemi.com/media/corp/2006n/20060420_microsoft.asp

Production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2007, and will support the Xbox 360's growing demand and expanding market reach.

So, apparently, they've been producing the 65nm for a few months now.

It appears microsoft has this generation in the bag.

From those requests for HDMI vs Component imames, i did managed to find the link. i can't post images here though.

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/...=117413&find=subject&ftext=hdmi&left=b&time=0

the first image is component, then followed by HDMI pic. then comes another component image in different scenes and so on. :devilish:

As you could see on 7th and 8th image, HDMI is ghost free, whilst if you see fist and "N" letter on component picture, apparently there is ghosting

And the writer did say that he felt the tv was less optimised for component if you know what i mean. He also said the letters on hdmi pics did look sharper and clearer by the way.

i am not sure whether he did calibration stuff :LOL:

it might not be fair test, but might help some people here

;)
No, this is the opposite of helping...it's gnipleh. Not doing a fair test would give incorrect results; incorrect results are wrong. Thus, people would be believing wrong information.

I just did a quick search and stumbled across this article, which sums up the issue nicely:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

So, which is better, DVI or component? HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends.

well, helpful in aspects that

HDMI apparently had 0% ghosting whilst component did

it was not helpful in aspect in other features, ie how good colour was

well, helpful in aspects that

HDMI apparently had 0% ghosting whilst component did

it was not helpful in aspect in other features, ie how good colour was

point being that result was bullocks being applied to ANYbody else's set up. It's not a universal result to make any sort of determination from. IOW, it's not a basis for a conclusion.

Again... the answer to which provides the best image in the current market HDMI or component is.... it depends on several factors in your set up.

point being that result was bullocks being applied to ANYbody else's set up. It's not a universal result to make any sort of determination from. IOW, it's not a basis for a conclusion.

Again... the answer to which provides the best image in the current market HDMI or component is.... it depends on several factors in your set up.
Exactly. It's erroneous to say HDMI is better than component without any context, and the context will generally be specific configurations, not something as wide ranging as ghosting--well, except for, HDMI is better than component because I have to plug less stuff in.

And that guy doing the comparison probably just needed to wiggle his component connection a little bit. :D

fair enough, i always thought you are ghost free from digital connections and that ghost is inevitable in analog connections :LOL:

but still nothing will make me change from HDMI to component when i get both options to my future HDTV :devilish:

Like I said...HDMI is irrelevant for games.

And like I said, for any IPTV providers that will be offering a 360 as the set-top decoder, HDMI will have importance. So I expect that "oem 360s" (assuming these are sold) that IPTV providers distrubte would have an HDMI port.

MS certainly could not have included HDMI 1.3 (which is the de-facto standard) and still launched the console in '05.

Put simply: it doesn't make much sense for a games console that doesn't support high-def movie playback as a standard to include HDMI.

On the other hand, PS3 including it (along with Blu-ray) forced them to launch over a year later and with significant higher cost.

That difference is magnified now, and it's not clear to what extent Sony will recover.

Yeah thats a very good post. I guess its just the way I've looked at things. I mean MS has positioned 360 as a multimedia hub, but I think they've let themselves down in various ways.

I like the fact that PS3 has HDMI 1.3, as it looks like being the standard digital interface for several years. This is in spite of the delay of PS3, because it is a very new technology which I consider the most important thing. However, I take your point, MS was desperate to get out in 2005.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/20...to_announce_the_xbox_360_elite.html#more-3441

Dean T weighs in on this. He seems to think its accurate ($479, 120GB, HDMI) and also suggests that it will be IPTV ready, and also has a significant motherboard redesign.

He says that the die shrink won't happen until fall, which would be after the Elite is released. So how would a MB redesign help reduce unit costs without a die shrink unless there are other components that are being combined or shrunk?

And redesigning the motherboard without redesigning the two main chips, reliability is going to improve ?. I hope this time they have made something to improve the thermical issues.

So this 'Elite' version will take over the Premium? When is this likely to happen?

I did some research on HDMI, and the fact that MS has decided to include it in their end top-end machine vindicates what I was saying about how they should have had HDMI from the start. Quite an about-turn from MS, who were previously claiming that HDMI and 1080p "werent needed". I guess since 360 is being positioned as a multimedia hub, MS saw that it was neccessary for to include it for uncompressed audio and IPTV (which will require HDMI due to DRM). My friends also tell me that currently around only 10-15% of 1080p televisions support 1080p over component.

I'm glad that MS have finally caught on, however, its really bad that if you want to play 1080p films on your 360, it will cost $679 in total. Plus, $179 for a 120GB HDD is ridiculous, and shows the PS3 to be better value, particularly the 20GB version. I cant really get past the idea that MS is playing catch-up in this regard despite its price advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back