Gamedaily: Sony open to PS3 price cuts.

[maven];920248 said:

Who knows if iSupply figures are accurate or not, but I doubt Sony wants to lose any more money than it already is. Considering the massive Japan cuts, how much more can they absorb before it becomes a poor business move? I don't believe price cuts are the answer though. Even at $500, the PS3 isn't an awful bargain. The lack of content is what is more responsible for poor sales.

... Of course they're "open to price cuts"... Do people expect them not to cut the price... ever or anywhere between now and Xmas? Heck, they cut the price of the 20GB version even before launch!

... Of course they're "open to price cuts"... Do people expect them not to cut the price... ever or anywhere between now and Xmas? Heck, they cut the price of the 20GB version even before launch!

Agreed - Any statement from Sony about price cuts not being likely for the foreseable future is a ploy to get as many people to jump onto the full price bandwagon as possible.

I expect a price cut before fall but after the EU launch.

Well, either they deny it, or they say, "Sure, we'll cut the price in six months. But seriously, don't wait! Everyone buy one now and waste that money you're guaranteed to save."

Which one do you think they'll go with? ;)

Well, either they deny it, or they say, "Sure, we'll cut the price in six months. But seriously, don't wait! Everyone buy one now and waste that money you're guaranteed to save."

Which one do you think they'll go with? ;)

Well it's like people don't know that Sony won't cut the price eventually - whether Sony admits it or not. Everyone knows things get cheaper with time.

Well it's like people don't know that Sony won't cut the price eventually - whether Sony admits it or not. Everyone knows things get cheaper with time.
Of course things get cheaper. When they do is a big part of the purchasing decision. Holding off a year or two is a tad different than holding off a few months.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aXr.PBbgNC6Y&refer=japan

bloomberg said:
Sony Corp., the world's largest maker of video-game players, suggested it may cut prices of its flagship console as industry reports show that PlayStation 3 sales trail Nintendo Co.'s Wii by about two-to-one.

Any price cut won't affect Tokyo-based Sony's target to break even in the games division next fiscal year, Takao Yuhara, head of investor relations, said yesterday. He said the company is also looking to boost output and cut production costs to erase losses in the year starting April 1.

``Price revision is a very important strategic move,'' said Yuhara. ``We may consider it when the timing is right as a way of expanding the market and spurring demand.''

If there is a cut this year, I'm sure it will come in Nov and not a day sooner.

I was thinking... Sony is already losing money right now on each console sold, and if they manage to get smaller manufacturing processes and other things to make the console cheaper to manufacture, then maybe its possible for them to sell the console at a lower price.

And yes, that means they'll still lose money(more or less, the same amount theyre losing atm), but if more people out there have the console(eBay is out of the question now :p ), then quite possibly they can recoupe some part of the loss thru software sales?

Thats bs talk though I know :LOL: theyre more than likely aiming to break even before any price cut talks come into play :cry:

The PS3 will be launched March 23 in France and I already saw today a 100 € rebate offer if you give back your ps2 slim and 2 games. Advertising was in Metro from scoregame.net. I am fairly certain than that offer is made with sony agreement but it is rather unusal to see theses sort of offers almost 2 months before a product launch.

The PS3 will be launched March 23 in France and I already saw today a 100 € rebate offer if you give back your ps2 slim and 2 games. Advertising was in Metro from scoregame.net. I am fairly certain than that offer is made with sony agreement but it is rather unusal to see theses sort of offers almost 2 months before a product launch.

These sort of deals used to be common place in the snes/genesis/ps1 days here in the states.

The $100 trade in deal is happening in teh US also... too bad I never bought a PS2.

Demand ultimately dictates price cuts. Do you think MS planned or wanted to drop the price of the Xbox1 just 5 months after launch. What represents a bigger lost? Dropping the price on the PS3 just 6 months early or languishing in third place for the rest this generation's lifetime. One represents a few hundred million dollar in losses while the other represents billion dollar in losses and lost profits. Sony would rather endure the former if it helps avoid the latter.

The Wii lead over the PS3 in japan is growing by 50,000 to 70,000 consoles every week. If the next wave of anticpated PS3 games can't rectify this situation then a price drop is the only strategic move that Sony will have in its arsenal besides just sitting still.

We don't know the 2007 US numbers just yet so Sony might not need to do anything in relation to the US market. But if the 360 drops its price and stirs up demand and forces a similar situation like the one in japan then I don't see any choice but for Sony to follow suit and drop its prices.

Well if they finish languishing in third place, at least they'll be able to say that they're "forwars thinking"... I mean, they were advertising about the mysterious "third place" even before PS2 launched!

Ok sorry, terrible joke.

Back