Burger King: 40% rise in Qtr profits due to 360 games

22psi

Veteran
Who woulda thought? WOW. Jack in the Box, where you at? :LOL:

The fast-food chain reported a 40 percent spike in quarterly profits for the period ended December 31, 2006. Net income for the company was $38 million for the period, up from $27 million from the same period the previous year.

BK CEO John W. Chidsey attributed the increase in profits to the success of its Burger King-themed Xbox games, which run on both the Xbox and Xbox 360. The company sold three BK games--Sneak King, Pocketbike Racer, and Big Bumpin'--at $3.99 each with the purchase of a BK Value Meal. Burger King even established its own game-publishing company, King Games, and worked with developer Blitz Games for the effort.

"Our brand and our great food continue to resonate with our restaurant guests," said Chidsey. "Specifically, our BK Value Menu, as well as our innovative Xbox game collection--which was the best-selling video game of the holiday season, with more than 3.2 million copies sold--increased both sales and restaurant traffic."

Chidsey's comments about "best-selling video game of the holiday season" were likely a result of corporate spin and combined the numbers of the three different BK titles. Gears of War, the retail holiday champ, sold 1.8 million copies from its early November release to the end of December in the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164969.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6164969

Holy crap :oops:

No doubt we'll see "Dunkin' Donuts: the Video Game" in the near future.

Its a thought!

I think really it could be owed to the "the king" in general. Not only the games, but also the commercials that feature the character. They're simply funny, off the wall, and they're not a traditional advertisement. Which is why I find them enjoyable and give a good laugh instead of going "ARGH!!!!!!!!" each time I see one. It helps a lot with a companies image. Frankly I think most commercials do more to ruin a companies image for me then get me going "boy I should stop by there next time I want a hamburger".

It'd be interesting to see how fast food game sales compare to downloadable game sales, though no downloadable games really benefit from the same advertising campaign as the King.

LOL, well I personally think this whole Burger King game thing has been awesome.

I don't even own an XBox, yet I want to go get these games just to play on a friends. What is there to say? A game(s) centering on the 'Burger King' is just too much to pass up!

I hate fast food restaurants. I hope they all get bunkrupt (irrelevant with the 360).

It was not that hard to predict. There are toys in Happy Meals at McDonals. They have just replaced the toy with a game - only they make the games themselves, not buy it from asia (actually, they might buy it from asia too - see the TOSE thread).

I'm glad this has been so successful for them. This was just so awesome. Like those BMW short films. I hope we see other businesses do the same. These games are the only things that made me eat at BK. I love the King marketing campaign but don't care at all for their food.
I hate fast food restaurants. I hope they all get bunkrupt (irrelevant with the 360).
I mentioned this before. That kind of game would've been perfect.

I looooove the King commercials especially the ones where his image is wrapped around a player in old football footage with epic music.
This game with value meal business is great. The games are cheap though look like they play badly (maybe so much so that it is comical).
I hope they come up with a Taco Bell FPS or somethings.

I bought all 3 BK games the first day they were available. BK was genious to take their already creepy mascot the King and digitalize him. It actually pulled me back to BK for just some food a few times after.

I hadn't eaten at a BK in alteast 5 years before this, and theres one 30 seconds from my house.

I'm a drone. :LOL: :cry:

I bought all 3 BK games the first day they were available. BK was genious to take their already creepy mascot the King and digitalize him. It actually pulled me back to BK for just some food a few times after.

I hadn't eaten at a BK in alteast 5 years before this, and theres one 30 seconds from my house.

I'm a drone. :LOL: :cry:

Haha...ditto.

And on that note, this was a GENIUS idea. For all the reasons you said in your post. You bought all 3, and patronized the chain. You, I and others did the same thing.

These games are no worse then some of the ones on XBLA and at $4 a piece you can't go wrong. Even if you only play the game for an hour its worth the 4 bones at that point!

I would die for a Tim Hortons Hockey game!!!! :D

Just so you know, there are 2710 Tim Hortons doughnut stores in Canada. In any major city, there's often one every few blocks, I'm not joking! In fact, my university (University of Waterloo), we have 3 on campus! It's practically a cultural institution here.

They're also spreading into the USA, with 336 outlets there. It won't be long before all Americans can enjoy the aroma of its beans, roll up its rims and taste its sweet Boston creme. :p Anyways, their quality blows the doors off Dunkin' Doughnuts, and exposes Krispy Kreme as the rancid shit that it is. Thus, it should be an easy win.

On this basis, I think such a game would sell very well, at least in Canada, and so long as the quality is there, should sell enough in the rest of the world to be profitable.

Won't work. The main reason for the interest in Burger Kings games is simply their mascot. Extending the same idea to other companies (Ronald McDonald for example) just doesn't have the same pull....in fact there have already been games based on McDonalds for years, though they didn't sell them out of their food chains I don't think.

Anyway, the point is, Burger King games sell because of the Burger King. The novelty of playing such a creepy character is humorous and fun in itself. The games do look like a lot of fun, I actually haven't played them myself since I don't eat at burger king.

Anyway, the point is, Burger King games sell because of the Burger King. The novelty of playing such a creepy character is humorous and fun in itself. The games do look like a lot of fun, I actually haven't played them myself since I don't eat at burger king.

Hmmm, maybe the Bush administration should try to boost its popularity by releasing a game featuring a creepy character. "Duck Hunting with Vice President Cheney," anyone?

Back