IGN makes predictions on consoles for 2007*

Hope you dont mind me jacking your thread title, but I figure Nintendo and Sony predictions were also worth posting.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758760p1.html
Duke Nukem ships for consoles in 07, PSP's fate determined in 07, "PlayStation 3 Promo Sale Mania", Sony Upgrades with PS3 Rumble and Enhanced PS Store, Major PlayStation 2 Changes (price drop, different colors), Sony Goes on Studio Buying Spree, Third Parties Unleash Huge "Classics" Revival, Sony Overtakes 360 by December 31, Killzone Gameplay Almost Matches E3 '05 CG Trailer.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/758/758835p1.html
New Wii System Colors Launch, Metroid Prime 3's Late Arrival, Wireless Attachments, "Lots of Exercising", Back From the Dead Franchises (pretty much the same as classics I suppose), The Return of Pikmin, Massive Developer Outreach; Launch of Original VC Games, Third Parties Reinvent Mii Faces, Wii Takes Japan, Nintendo Holds Strong at Number Two Globally.

Uhh, duh? :LOL: just because its resized, doesnt mean the content changed aswell. Its still the event that companies/developers showcase whatever they've been doing, so to ign I say: :|

I dont know if its just me, but everytime I read something about X360 on ign, it just makes me go " :rolleyes: " because some of the things they say sounds more like something on a f@nboys wishlist than a prediction.

Hope you dont mind me jacking your thread title, but I figure Nintendo and Sony predictions were also worth posting.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758760p1.html
Sony Goes on Studio Buying Spree

ign article said:
One of the best ways for any first party to make a splash is to buy a major developer -- just as Microsoft did with Rare and as Nintendo did with Santa Claus. 2007 will be the year that Sony pulls off its own key studio purchases by orchestrating a string of company buyouts. Ninja Theory, Insomniac, Factor 5, and Sucker Punch are all major targets and would strengthen Sony's first and second party teams to almost Nintendo-like levels.

Why does Sony need to buy them out if theyre mainly creating titles for Sony's console? :???: If they didnt give a crap about Assassins Creed and GTAIV's exclusivity, then I dont see why they would shell out more money to buy studios(someone correct me plz :p )

Killzone Gameplay Almost Matches E3 '05 CG Trailer.

the keyword is "almost" :LOL:

I predict Wii will overtake X360 worldwide by end of 2007. I don't think PS3 will overtake X360 worldwide by end of 2007.

ign said:
SONY Goes on Studio Buying Spree
I agree with this somewhat. I believe SONY won't be spending much money on buying exclusives, but rather, focus their efforts and cash balance on building up a very good team within their World Wide Studios (WWS) initiative. I think this is the main reason why they've let slip some of their big 3rd party exclusive - because they're banking on the WWS guys to come up with successful franchises (not just games) that they can then build on for the PS4 and beyond (i.e. this gen's God of War).

I also think that PlayStation's real strength will really begin to show in 2007 - that is; it's diversity in content. I think that we'll begin to see the Ratchet & Clank-esque type games, the Buzz type party games (I love Buzz!), EyeToy2, SingStar, of course the Hardcore gamers get their share, and it'll really begin to show it's true value with BR becoming more commonly known (helped with increasing conversion into HD broadcasting), multimedia functionalities...well, you guys know all the bells and whistles.

Basically, I think 2007 will see the PS3 really start to find itself, and set itself for a console market takeover in 2008! IMHO, of course! ;)

I predict Wii will overtake X360 worldwide by end of 2007. I don't think PS3 will overtake X360 worldwide by end of 2007.

Not this year IMHO. MS should be able to have at least 16M 360's out there.

I can't see Nintendo shipping that number. 2008 will be exciting though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From their previous years predictions, doesn't IGN have one of the worst prediction track record in this industry ?

I read the Wii predictions article and while some of the predictions are believable enough or total non-brainers (Wii success in JP ? Who would have thought ?), some of them fly in the face or reason, such as the wireless nunchuk (would require the nunchuk to have its own bluetooth ID, thus making 4 players Wiimote + nunchuk impossible, and would send the price skyrocketing), or 3rd party "Mii remodeling". The "old franchises will be back from the dead" is the usual IGN "mysterious overhype" game, which has already been played to the point where it's not even funny anymore (MGS Triology or Rockstar Table Tennis, anyone ?).

I like the IGN media sections, and their often pretty good game guides, but the editorial content is a big mess of unprofessional "journalists" when it's not ranting fanb0ys.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only studio Sony needs to buy (or take a controlling stake in) is Square-Enix, it would give them a foothold situation in Japan whatever Nintendo does. They would in no way be totally marginalised in the way they are being currently.

The only studio Sony needs to buy (or take a controlling stake in) is Square-Enix, it would give them a foothold situation in Japan whatever Nintendo does. They would in no way be totally marginalised in the way they are being currently.

Agreed - If they could pull off a controlling stake in SE they basicly guarantee a certain level of console sales in Japan and elsewhere.

As for buying other studios listed - as Fu3lFr3nzy said - Why? They already make games focused on/for Sony platforms. :???:

If they were to buy studios I'd imagine they might want to try and expand their own library or limit their competitions library.

As for buying other studios listed - as Fu3lFr3nzy said - Why? They already make games focused on/for Sony platforms. :???:

The flipside of this is that they presumably already have a good working relationship with Sony, which should be the basis for any marriage ;)

People asked the same when Guerrilla was bought out. I guess every situation is different, though.

For a company like Sony, commissioning some titles from a company as a second party could be a tentative first step toward making that company first party i.e. give it a trial and see if we can work with these guys. So you could think of "them already making Sony games" as potentially one step in that process.

Also, after current contracts have been fulfilled with Sony - or anyone else for that matter - a studio would be free to accept offers from another publisher, presumably. So buying them out still could have value in terms of limiting the potential catalogue of a competitor, if Sony wanted to make that arrangement permanent.

The flipside of this is that they presumably already have a good working relationship with Sony, which should be the basis for any marriage ;)

People asked the same when Guerrilla was bought out. I guess every situation is different, though.

So they look at buying other devs that already focus on their platform as a sort of reward for company loyalty or something? I don't get it strategically.

nm - got it with the expanded edition :)

A few years ago Sony also said they had no plans to drop the price of the PS2, but MS who were seriously behind on sales, decided to lower their price first. Then Sony beat them to the punch by suddenly lowering their price at retail before MS did it. I fully expect MS to drop their price if sony decides to do so. Just because they say they aren't going to, doesn't mean that will happen

A few years ago Sony also said they had no plans to drop the price of the PS2, but MS who were seriously behind on sales, decided to lower their price first. Then Sony beat them to the punch by suddenly lowering their price at retail before MS did it. I fully expect MS to drop their price if sony decides to do so. Just because they say they aren't going to, doesn't mean that will happen

Agreed - I think its safe to say that if xb360 falls to 80k a month we'll see a price drop promptly.:smile:

With the likelihood that Halo 3 makes it out Fall 2007... I see only the wii potentially being a competitor to X360 sales. Madden and GTA bring PS3-360 within some title parity... but Halo seems to blow everything else away.

2008 gets more interesting.

FFXIII, MGS4, even KZ2 are very strong brands and will lead Sonys charge into that year.
MS' big name title releases are less well known (Alan Wake? Halo Wars? Maybe PgR4 and Gears 2)

With the likelihood that Halo 3 makes it out Fall 2007... I see only the wii potentially being a competitor to X360 sales. Madden and GTA bring PS3-360 within some title parity... but Halo seems to blow everything else away.

2008 gets more interesting.

FFXIII, MGS4, even KZ2 are very strong brands and will lead Sonys charge into that year.
MS' big name title releases are less well known (Alan Wake? Halo Wars? Maybe PgR4 and Gears 2)

Not to mention a likely price drop this year. gta4 + madden07 + halo3 + $200core = Merry Christmas

in my opinion if Microsoft doesnt do a console price drop in the next two to three months everyone in their marketing & sales department should be fired without question for not starting a riot to force it. Price drops are HUGE for sales, they should be enjoying decent yields on components right now, they can exploit the weakness of the PS3 and the wii which cant answer back (well the Wii can but they'd look like asses doing a price drop 6 months after launch), theres no good reason for them not to unless they got cocky about sales under current prices.

So next two to three months, if they did indeed go their second year without a price-cut i'd simply call that the biggest mistake yet any of the three have made, ever.

Regards Sony buying more studios, wouldn't it be better to invest in more production? eg. The number of announced EyeToy titles is slim, where this could be a strong asset through VR type games and applications. I say they should spend more on creating diverse titles, rather than buying more devs. Unless they need the studios to do that! But AFAICT, studios are bought who are working on a title currently. How many can be bought and put onto a new task? Also AFAICT Sony owned studios are generally allowed to their own thing, rather than told what to do. Acquiring studios to force them to develop specific titles/applications would go against that.

Back