I want an All-in-One printer/fax/copier/scanner.

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Top end, please. Wife prefers HP, tho I'm not insistant on that.

Wireless networking, ftw!

I was looking at the OfficeJet 7410, but then I noticed it was released in Dec of 2004, and that made me leary of dropping $400+ on two year old tech.

Yes, I'll be going to Vista early. In fact, that's part of the driver here. Old scanner won't be making the trip (alas). Also like to take up less footprint on my credenza by combing the scanner and old school fax.

I tend to like inkjets rather than lasers, because I want color printing and don't generally like the cost tradeoff for color lasers.

All those memory slots for photo printing aren't really necessary tho.

Fax and copier should not require the PC to be on to work, preferably. Scanner should be at least 2400dpi optical.

I won't say "price is no object", but that 7410 I was looking it is roughly $435, and I'd probably be willing to go a bit higher than that for quality.

Recommendations?

Well, that was relatively painless. :smile: The wife is suspicous of an non-HP printer, but at least it isn't an Epson (which had a horrific teeth-clenching whine the last time we had one) so she bought off.

It doesn't have networking (ethernet or wireless), but then its hooked up to a networked PC that's on 24/7 anyway (so other pcs should still be able to get to it), and it's $200 cheaper to ease the pain of not being networked on its own. And the reviews seem very nice for all features. A bit slow in duplexing, but then that's not all that uncommon (whereas even having duplexing built in is not all that common in the first place).

And already Vista drivers out for it.

So, I'm sold. Thanks.

NOW JUST HOLD ON A SECOND!!!! :oops:

C'mon, I just checked one site and you're gonna get that one?!?! At least let me go out and do some comparative reviews real quick or offer a couple more options. :???:

You can't make it this easy Geo, you just can't...it would break tradition.

(Although I'll admit after reading a few reviews of the Canon that I really like their ink cartridge system. ;) )

My wife likes to say I don't shop, I buy. :smile: But, hey, it's worked pretty well for me so far. I did look around some both before and after your rec, really. And, actually, over the years PC Mag has generally been pretty good at recommending printers. Otoh, we probably shouldn't talk about that Diamond Virge I bought on their recommendation. . . :LOL:

I you want a laser you should jump all over the HP Laserjet 3055. Been running one at the office for several months now and that machine has me totally impressed. Jams are a non-issue, and that auto doc feeder for the copier is just such a wonderous invention. It prints fast as hell and the copies look better than the originals at times. Easily networkable (it even has its own web site at it's IP lol)

It's whisper quiet when it's idle. The machine has been running 24/7 since I hooked it up. It's our fax machine too, after all.

From what I've read, these all in ones can be a real pain in the ass. Not this HP.

HP Color LaserJet 2840, $799 after rebate but it sure looks like it fits the bill if you were looking for a color laser. :)

You can get it refurbed for $650... ;)

(Sorry, just got Bubbles all working again after getting the kids down and cleaning up/replacing after a puppy/kitty/coca-cola/keyboard incident.....pseudo shopping relaxes me.)

EDITED BITS: Doh! It's slow, I'm gonna go looking at jets again. I like 'em better, muchly cheaper.

HP Officejet 9110 All-in-One $529.99 was best price I found, $589 at BB & CC.

EDITED BITS: Finally found some decent reviews. People seem to either love it or hate it, those who hate it complain of software setup problems/grief. Does dual sided printing though which I found sort of kewl.

It doesn't have networking (ethernet or wireless), but then its hooked up to a networked PC that's on 24/7 anyway (so other pcs should still be able to get to it), and it's $200 cheaper to ease the pain of not being networked on its own.
A USB-to-Ethernet network print server device should be well within that $200 saving, should you wish to spend a bit more cash and have the new Canon run without that 24/7 networked PC (you might want to put it in a different room, etc).

A USB-to-Ethernet network print server device should be well within that $200 saving, should you wish to spend a bit more cash and have the new Canon run without that 24/7 networked PC (you might want to put it in a different room, etc).

Interesting idea. Are their wireless examples?

HP Officejet 9110 All-in-One $529.99 was best price I found, $589 at BB & CC.

EDITED BITS: Finally found some decent reviews. People seem to either love it or hate it, those who hate it complain of software setup problems/grief. Does dual sided printing though which I found sort of kewl.

Oh, I saw the 9110 when looking at the HPs. Another 2+ year old product, and wildly differing opinions.

Interesting idea. Are their wireless examples?
Yes. However, since you're looking for a multifunction device, a print server might not be for you as the err... multifunction functionality might not (probably won't) work.

Edit: D-Link claims to have developed wide support for multifunction devices since the last time I looked at such things (only HP devices qualified, though). Recent models from other manufacturers might work too, but I'd check out supported printers, firmware support, and user experiences before laying down the cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geo
Have you looked at the Dell products? They're relatively cheap, and I think they're generally OEMed Lexars.

I have a 1600n (multi-function b/w laser) and am pleased with it. It was cheap ($200-ish) when I bought it 2 years ago.

I'll share my experience with a Canon MF. I just bought the Canon MP530, and it seems great for an inkjet (I still love frickin' lasers b/c there are no worries with highlighting, water, etc, but inkjet is much kinder to aging power circuits).

First of all, Canon's received a lot of good press for the past few years. AFAIK, they've got affordable 1st-party ink (I've compared refill amounts, Canon seems to offer more ink for less money than HP at this price point), a robust ink delivery system (separate print heads and ink tanks so cheaper refills than HP [tho I think newer HPs separate the heads and the tanks] but apparently none of the issues idle Epsons have), good text and photo quality (HW.fr's got some photo comparos), and duplexing (IMO, a must). Secondly, no HP matches the MP530's featureset at $180: ADF, quality scanner (per reviews), duplexing, fax, separate color tanks, decently fast for inkjet. Comparably-priced HPs are much smaller units, to be fair, but I was concerned with features and price, not size.

My only complaint is that the scanner (perhaps just mine) emits an annoyingly pitched tone when doing color magazine scanning (specifically, the descreening causes the whiny scanner speed). My older Canon LiDE 20 (also CIS, so put 'em on the glass or they'll be out of focus) scanner moves at a mellower pitch when descreening. The solution is to just scan as 'color document' rather than 'color mag,' the bonus being it's much faster even at much higher res. Otherwise, it's fast and as inoffensive as I expect when making copies using the ADF or platen. Well, it's a bit big--definitely one for the tabletop--but it's probably not unreasonably so for a duplexing ADF.

Seems like at the high end, HP is offering networking as a bonus carrot, and Canon's got duplexing (on everything, basically, even their relatively cheap Pixmas like the $60 iP4200). I ignore Epson b/c of what I've read (perhaps outdated) about print heads clogging when not used daily/weekly and sub-par text. Not familiar with Lexar, but I expect its ink is priced similarly to HP's, meaning more than Canon's. Same with Dell, I figure: low entry price, higher lifetime cost. The Canon's features and overall price won me over.

I like it. I haven't faxed or photo printed (Costco FTW) with it yet, but it prints color/b&w docs nicely on copy paper, very nicely on Costco's cheap but quality Xerox multipurpose paper.

Color lasers are looking pretty good even when photo printing nowadays, and they're getting suprisingly cheap--initially, anyway. I have no idea how pricey color toners are.

Though I'm pretty pissed that I didn't read Apple's rebate closely enough to realize that I only get the $100 rebate when buying a Mac and a printer from Apple themselves. Bastards. :p ~$100 for the MP530 would be a steal.

Ah, just caught your high-end dictum. I haven't looked at the market above ~$200, so I don't know how HP and other multifunctions stack up in features and initial and lifetime costs at $400+ (the black ink catridges on the 7410 are definitely bigger than the Canon's 13ml tank, tho the tricolor averages about the same as the Canon's individual 5ml tanks). Also, the 530's scanner is just 1200x2400dpi; the 830's clears your hurdle with ease, and as a bonus it's CCD (no glass-mashing, I think). The 530's scanner's no slouch, though. I got a kick out of someone feeding the ADF the wrong side of a doc, and the printout being not a blank page but a faint copy of the right side of the doc. :) No idea about photo scans, though.

Edit: The 7410's black ink ain't cheap. 21ml for $30 vs. Canon's 13ml for $15, and the HP hasn't got individual color tanks. Seems like a bust for $400 compared to the Canon 830 and even 530. The 9110's got some big-, no, huge-ass tanks, but dunno their prices. This is assuming both companies use about the same amount of ink per equivalent pages, of course, which may not be the case.

Not to sound like a one-man Canon ad, but if someone's looking for a b&w laser multifunction, the Canon MF4150 doesn't look bad for the price. Again, no networking, but duplexing, ADF, fax, etc.--it's basically an MP530 (right down to being GDI, or host-based), but a b&w laser, so probably lower per-page costs if you print a lot (both in terms of toner yield and the ability to use copy paper and still get crisp output). Only $200 @ Amazon! It's a tempting replacement for a noisy and initially slow but otherwise nice Samsung ML-1750, but apparently Mac drivers don't expose the full functionality (no scanner or even duplexing = WTF?).

HW.fr just reviewed four laser "MFCs," and they liked the Canon 4140 (basically the 4150 minus the ADF). Hard to believe it's close to 300 Euros in France but just $200 in America, especially since I don't see Canon lasers advertised as heavily here as other kinds.

geo, give us an update, if you've gotten some use out of the thing. No problems?

All beautiful so far under Vista. Setup was painless, and following the "Quick setup guide" did the trick. The only thing I've noticed that doesn't fulfill the marketing claims is that the max scan resolution in the driver seems to be 1600dpi (rather than the 9600 interpolated I was expecting), which isn't much of a hardship (I've been scanning old family photos with it). It's quite peppy in all it's functions, I find. In fact, the rumored "painfully slow" duplexing is not, at least by my standards. I haven't timed it to know for sure if this is because my standards are low, or the thing is faster now than the original reviews from last Spring/Summer. . .tho my impression is the latter. At any rate, I don't find the duplexing speed to be that bad. The duplexing speed won't impress anyone who's used a many thousand dollar office copier with duplexing, but then why should it? It seems quite useable to me, at least. Love the ADF. Love that with the bottom paper tray and the auto-opening output tray that you can keep it buttoned up until you go to print/scan/whatever something. Wife seems favorably impressed at the value for $250 (which when you consider I had prepared her for the $450 HP 7410, and that her own HP 870C printer was $399 when new, I can see why she would be).

Thanks for the update. Yeah, the duplexing speed isn't bad at all. It seems to print as fast as when not, just with a slight delay to allow the ink to dry, and I think you can even tweak that in the drivers.

Ditto about the auto-opening tray.

FYI, there's a Quiet Mode you can program for nighttime use that reduces the frenzied thwacking of an inkjet at full tilt.

Back