The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuts. Perfect time for a name change with the AMD acquisition, unified architecture, DX10, Vista, etc. but they blow it. :cry:

I wonder what NVidia will do 2 gens from now. Surely they have a little creativity.

"Geforce 10000" sounds nice (in a 1980's kind of way). ;)

Nuts. Perfect time for a name change with the AMD acquisition, unified architecture, DX10, Vista, etc. but they blow it. :cry:

I was hoping the same thing. Everything seemed perfect for a new naming scheme. Sure, let Radeon tag along and the ATI label, but breath some fresh air... heck, NV got to come up with the term GPU. Why not steal a page from the book and create their new category-definition for all the new features. :p

As long as no one has a better name than X2900 it's fine with me..

I just don't want to see other intel'esque numbering schemes...

What about X3xxx? ; )

I don't see why people would like different naming schemes all of a sudden.
I mean,
I'd be perfectly happy if Intel would have launched a 586.
Am used to the newest GeForce cards being the previous generation +1 (GF8 = GF7+1)
I am used to new generation Radeons being the 1000 higher than the previous.

It's not like you guys actually have something against easy identification, right?
X2 = better than X1
Besides,
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
AMD Radeon X2900XTX
That's some pretty coherent product branding right there.

I don't see why people would like different naming schemes all of a sudden.
I mean,
I'd be perfectly happy if Intel would have launched a 586.
Am used to the newest GeForce cards being the previous generation +1 (GF8 = GF7+1)
I am used to new generation Radeons being the 1000 higher than the previous.

It's not like you guys actually have something against easy identification, right?
X2 = better than X1
Besides,
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
AMD Radeon X2900XTX
That's some pretty coherent product branding right there.

What about "Mobility Radeon X2300" (which appears to be simply a rebranded Mobility Radeon X1400) ?
Not so coherent now, hey ? ;) (Nvidia does it too, occasionally)

is that it ignores theoretical performance per ALU pipeline. Is that:
  • 128 scalar MADs = 192GFLOPs
  • 128 vec4 MADs = 768GFLOPs
  • something else?
How about Xenos style ALUs :p 868GFLOPs. :LOL: A tad bit more than the .5TFLOPs Orton was hinting at.

64 vec3 (or vec4) units
64 scalar units
============
128 shaders total

:LOL:

And at about 434GFLOPs (750MHz) that is a tad less Orton's comments. :devilish:

What about "Mobility Radeon X2300" (which appears to be simply a rebranded Mobility Radeon X1400) ?
Not so coherent now, hey ? ;) (Nvidia does it too, occasionally)

I was the one to break you the news about the M64-s being an updated M64-p.
I hate things like the Radeon 9550. Or the Geforce 7100 for that matter. rebranding should die (including renaming everything from Daewoo to Chevrolet.. people don't buy Daewoos.. and they uy even less Chevrolets..

AMDR600XTX.jpg

This should be fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Digitimes has some news.

RV610&RV630 will be shown by Partners on Cebit:

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070214PD217.html

Production of RV610 starts in April and RV630 is available in May.
RV610 skips 80nm and is 65nm with support for GDDR4
RV630 will probably start at 80nm since it's older brother RV560 wasn't "satisfactory" because

and:

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070215PD216.html

Fusion within two years.

Every source say different things about GPU's, looks like no good rumor source left, they just try race with Fuad :smile:

rebranding should die (including renaming everything from Daewoo to Chevrolet.. people don't buy Daewoos.. and they uy even less Chevrolets..
OT. Why? GMDAT (nee Daewoo) is an excellent vehicle (pardon the pun) for GM to hoist Toyota, etc., on their own pricing petard. You'll find that newer products are far better than previous Daewoo achievements, esp given GM's new global outlook. Future products will be better yet. The fact is that people in the volume market buy mainly on price - as per other durables...

they mention that RV630 has 64 shaders, are these the romoured vec-4 shaders or are these ones scalar?
It seems safe to assume that they're the same type of shaders that R600 is supposed to have 128 of.

It all seems a bit fishy to me, though. 128 scalar shaders would (on the face of it) make R600 substantially less powerful than G80. Unless of course R600 also has wildly varying clock-domains; but, if it does, it's funny that this hasn't leaked yet. You'd expect ATI to be trumpeting it from the roof-tops.

On the other hand, 128 vec4 shaders would totally kick *rse, to such an extent that I find it difficult to believe they could have pulled that off. (Or rather, difficult to believe that only one ou of ATI and Nvidia could have).

It may be that the 128 figure is actually a convenient composite to make the chip sound equal to G80: ROPs + TMUs + ALUs = 128, or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back