The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has more to do with they don't want people playing copies they got early on line but the fact the review doesn't have it is because they didn't set up a special reviewer online and the mix of people wanting to get their review out first.

The reviewer's experience should mirror what the end user's is. They shouldn't get any special guides to help them if the typical buyer won't. And if there's a feature like levelling that is not obvious but which imapcts the game, if reviewers get confused by this and see a game lacking in features, that reflects what you'd expect the typical gamer's experience to be. It's perhaps not a fair score in the end, but it's a legitimate lesson to developers to make the game's mechanics transparent so users know exactly what's going on.

I don't see how the AI levelling up excuses them from driving into stationary cars. AI difficulty should have no impact on basic behaviour like that, I would expect the AI at higher difficulties to drive more aggressively, take turns faster, not slow down so you can catch up etc rather than gaining basic driving skills.

And that article quoted Official Playstation Magazines experience with the game - hardly a publication to not do a thorough review on a massive PS exclusive like GT

I'll be glad when all you posers are out of the OT and stop ruining it. Freaking pixel junkies ruining threads for everyone else, lol. If you're not interested in the game, please do us all a favor and silence yourself!

tkf - Awesome impressions man. Can you confirm there are no friend invites though? I am almost 100% positive they are in, or at least advertised in some way on the back of the box. If you find a way, let me know. I'll have the game tomorrow, and I hope to get to race some folks online.

Anyone interested in doing Time Trials?

The reviewer's experience should mirror what the end user's is

Sure ! But a reviewer should also know that the game has more advanced AI later on due to the RPG progresion (if true). Highlighting the entry level AI weaknesses without giving the whole picture is inaccurate. In the worst case, it can misrepresent the entire game (See Lights Out).

If I want to read individual user impressions, I'd go read GAF. The reviewers are supposed to have better access to the developers.

EDIT:
Inconsistency regarding GT5 is the keyword going by the review. This shot shows some to ignoring the low quality capture IQ and just looking at use of sprites, polygons etc.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Yap, I suspected earlier that the GT5 project scope has grown too complex and huge for Polyphony's good. ^_^
Wonder how much of the increased scope come from Sony. Kazunori's original vision is very simple (comparing a high quality, reduced feature set game vs all-in-one car galore).

Hope the reviewers rate the mixed grade graphics accordingly (i.e. down) but give the full picture. Don't hold back showing the best and worst graphics in the game. It will straighten up the product management and their PR mess. I believe Kazunori will understand.

I remember this Shuhei interview that made Kazunori unhappy because the former manager pre-announced unconfirmed features:
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item285382/Talking-games-with-Shuhei-Yoshida/

What can we look forward to when Gran Turismo 5 releases on PlayStation 3?

Gran Turismo 5 will offer gamers an experience more rich, more in-depth and more exciting than they might expect - even from a series as closely identified with innovation and invention as Gran Turismo. Not only will Gran Turismo 5 deliver an even more comprehensive set of cars and courses than gamers saw with previous iterations, it will also feature new game-enhacing graphical effects such as damage, night racing and weather.

These innovations are twinned with the option to join millions of like-minded individuals globally within the Gran Turismo community and to find a driving experience to suit, whether that is taking on the Top Gear test track, chucking cars around stunt arenas, go-karting, creating and sharing your own track or intense head-to-head races. Who, where and what to drive is completely down to the individual.

Should have let PD decide what's in and out. If they had left out or delayed Karting, they may have more time for other stuff (Stunt arena is thankfully out of scope for the moment).

Now that the game is out, I hope the management give Kazunori enough resources to polish the game. A new online platform usually takes a week to a month to settle down. I remember Insomniac took about a quarter to release the first patch for Resistance, but Kazunori may have not that much time.

Interesting, Gamespot said that the loadtimes are 'painfully' long.

Gamespot also said the game has no custom soundtracks, that "he should be able to drift, since he can do it in Need for Speed Shift", and above all else, that "this Citroen I'm driving doesn't really drift well in dirt" (note: He was driving a rally car).

Yea, the guy talking about anything related to the game was a total buffoon with almost no interest in the franchise beyond tearing it apart on a live stream with little professionalism. It was pathetic.

ShadowRunner - I have no issues with people talking about graphics on B3D, but I do believe we have a Technical forum for that, no? I don't see why these threads in the gaming section need to be plagued with such trivial nonsense at this point. I don't mind off the cuff stuff, or impressions like you or Arwin give, I'm just not interested to see people in the thread at all that have zero interest in the game and / or the sport of racing.

Edit: Also, we made a point earlier in the thread to make a new thread when GT5 came out, and since it hadn't happened I made one. I have a lot of interest in times / racing / fun, so I made the thread and decided to kick things off! Arwin or anyone else, if you could post some of your impressions there, that'd be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the defence force getting upset relax, nitpicking graphics is part of the the whole b3d mantra imo and i wouldnt want this any other way, its b3ds unique flavour (focus toward graphics side of things and usually above average intellegence in conversations) that keeps me visiting.

Where is this defense force your talking about? I doubt anyone in here has a problem with nit picking, but i have a problem with minor details being used as a "this game sux" argument. You just have to read a few pages back, and you can see flaws being pointed out, then rebutted buy people that plays the game, but still ignored.

From the Game Tech thread:

I just saw these two images, and I am pretty surprised to see that Standard cars are really nothing more than imported GT4 models, the geometry is low, no normal maps, bad textures and a blurry cubemap in the name of environment reflection (and all this even when you are in photo mode). Years of development time and yet 80% of cars (since there are around 800 standard cars) are of this quality ?
aaakjaadn.jpg

aaakmaadn.jpg

Can someone with the game confirm that this is a LOD bug? I think it has to be, there is no way PD would let the game out with standard cars looking like this.

Which is where it should have stayed.

Perhaps, but I wanted someone with the game to point out that this wasn't the case - like with how OPM was reporting that the AI was bad - and this would be the quickest place to get an answer.

In any case, if it is true, I don't think you can consider it a 'minor detail' clogging up the GT5 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back