The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, now I see what's going on here. I didn't read carefully enough. Don't worry, I wasn't going to buy it anyway ..... Although I'm tempted to buy one and set up a live stream of me setting it on fire.

I hear the penalty for such is having to sit through a Final Fantasy game from start to end. :cry:

GT5 features:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gran-turismo-5-e3-2010-hands-on

Over 800 of the cars will be “standard”, the majority of which have been brought from previous GT titles. Despite the nomenclature, they still look great – all of the classic “muscle cars” we saw in the latest batch of screenshots are all “standard”. However, according to the article, standard cars “won’t have interiors”.

There are 200 “premium” cars which “take the final count past the 1000 mark”. In addition to highly detailed interiors, the undersides of the cars have also been modeled and will be visible when the car is flipping through the air thanks to the new physics engine.

There will be 9 NASCAR models available, and you will be able to race by NASCAR’s specific rules. The article describes the NASCAR crashes as “truly epic” yet still “artful in Yamacuhi’s universe”.

Each individual circuit can take as long as two and a half years to build.

The new Photo Travel mode – where you take a car to a picturesque location other than a race track – now allows you to virtually walk around the environment to help you get the best angle.

Online community features include a “BBS, personal logs, mail, and something called My Lounge”. You will be able to monitor your friend’s progress, set up private races with them, and spectate on live online races that are already underway from any camera angle, while focusing on any player’s car that you want.

The combination of 3D visuals and head-tracking with the PS Eye was described as “astonishing”.

What do they mean by "wont have interiors" ?
No cockpit view for 80% of the cars ? ...that's just crazy.

Well, if you think back to prologue it seems Suzuki Cappucino '95 will be part of those 200 *premium* cars which have interior! :LOL: You cant even flip that car because it tops at 100km/h or so!

What do they mean by "wont have interiors" ?
No cockpit view for 80% of the cars ? ...that's just crazy.

I'm guessing that it's a EG misunderstanding, i.e. those cars will have interiors (I can't see them all having blacked-out windows) and therefore a cockpit view, but that the interiors of those 800 cars won't be "fully" modelled to the point that you can zoom in and see the cumstain on the backseat of a Ford Fiesta.

And why are you getting tire-squeal when on the dirt bank at the side of the road?
I had a friend many moons ago who had a car that squealed when it turned a corner even at 3 MPH. I gues it was brake squeal. Made for some dramatic soundtracks to every-day car-parks!

I had a friend many moons ago who had a car that squealed when it turned a corner even at 3 MPH. I gues it was brake squeal. Made for some dramatic soundtracks to every-day car-parks!

I believe many cars do this in supermarket carparks at walking speed, something to do with the differential as the outside wheels are travelling much faster relative to the inside wheels on very sharp corners.

But the surface does need to be a hard surface rather than gravel or dirt.

Yeah, nice that it did make it! Happy that cars can finally tip over, it does add to a more realistic feel in the handling model, apart from nice looking crashes of course.

Starting to look like everything about this game is true, but also including that the 'Standard' models are much more like the GT4 models 'upgraded'. In that sense, it's starting to look like Forza has more cars with interiors. ;) However, the cars that do have their interiors modelled look stunning, and apparently also have their engines modelled and so on.

There are some pictures out there showing real shots versus car model shots, and it looks great. I've also seen a few shots of the new spanish track that I had to closely look at the trees (which are still 'simple') to make sure this was a game, because the detail in the city is simply stunning.

EDIT: GamerSyde has some 60fps footage
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_gran_turismo_5_e3_60_fps_gameplay_3-16058_en.html

I know that they're adding new manufacturers in GT 5 (Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, etc) but are they going to take any of the really popular/iconic cars from GT 4 and make a "premium" version?

Standard cars video:
http://cdn2.gran-turismo.com/jp/common/data2/movie/20100616_e3/gt5_standardcars.mov

I think it's a good idea to throw all the cars from the old game in but I think it should have been on a separate disk or something. It'll look odd seeing a highly detailed car racing alongside a PS2 era car.
Starting to look like everything about this game is true, but also including that the 'Standard' models are much more like the GT4 models 'upgraded'. In that sense, it's starting to look like Forza has more cars with interiors. ;) However, the cars that do have their interiors modelled look stunning, and apparently also have their engines modelled and so on.
The more impressive thing is that F3 was made in a couple of years Both games have very realistic interiors though to the point where I couldn't tell the difference if it wasn't side-by-side. They're racing sims though, so comparison shots at specific angles should be easy-peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It'll look odd seeing a highly detailed car racing alongside a PS2 era car"

I`m pretty sure PD won`t allow GT4 models without serious improvements. (I read at Sixaxis i think, that the difference isn`t that great). I`m gonna stick my neck on the line and say (interiors aside), the detail levels will be close to the premium cars.

I also think they might keep the 2 types or car seperate from each other in career mode or whatever its going to be called. "Premium Races, "Standard Races" etc etc.

"It'll look odd seeing a highly detailed car racing alongside a PS2 era car"

I`m pretty sure PD won`t allow GT4 models without serious improvements. (I read at Sixaxis i think, that the difference isn`t that great). I`m gonna stick my neck on the line and say (interiors aside), the detail levels will be close to the premium cars.

I also think they might keep the 2 types or car seperate from each other in career mode or whatever its going to be called. "Premium Races, "Standard Races" etc etc.

Take a look for yourself. The video posted nintenho is supposed to be of the standard models.

This has generated a lot of entertaining comments, like "What have they been doing for the last 5 years?" I don't know, the rest of the game, maybe? :p

Do you have a video of a premium car ?

I think its safe to say that the recent trailers feature the premium cars. But I haven't seen a direct back-to-back comparison video yet.

I heard GT5 has 1080p 3D. Are people making stuff up ?

Yes, yes people are. :LOL:

In all seriousness, there's not a lot of concrete, verified details. The site I linked to above is probably one of the better sources for what's confirmed (as it's actually an official site).3D support and head tracking are briefly mentioned on the last page, but not the details you're looking for.

I heard GT5 has 1080p 3D. Are people making stuff up ?

The producer confirmed 1080p 3D. :oops:

[gt]11148[/gt]

The tracks look way way improved. The lighting also looks stunning.

Really hope I can try it out in a local SonyStyle store. 1080p 3D + head tracking sounds strangely alien. Wonder if it would work in a show room without proper config:

Gamespot Article said:
Getting the head-tracking working correctly, especially in a busy trade-show environment, appears to be something of an undertaking. There were a dozen or so different variables being changed with sliders onscreen as we waited, and while the camera was clearly able to recognize and track the movement of a player's head, the way the game and steering wheel were set up ultimately resulted in the camera being a bit closer to the player than it's ever likely to be in your living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back